Menu

From Singapore Primary Mathematics 4B to Beast Academy (which level?)

JRmommy

We've been doing Singapore Primary Mathematics (standard edition) for the last two years.  I purchased the Beast Academy 3A guide and practice book this year and my son loves it!  He wants to switch, and I've read of others switching to Beast Academy as a stand alone math curriculum.  Should we just keep plugging along to 3B, 3C, 3D, etc. or should we skip to level 4 or 5 after he finishes Singapore 4B?  I'm also open to doing both as we have Singapore 5A and 5B already.  I'd love to hear your experience.  Thanks!

Definitely continue through Beast 3.  There's tons of good stuff in there that will stretch what he's already learned in Singapore 4.  I would continue Beast 3 for the rest of this year and even over the summer.  

Then...in September (assuming you have a somewhat traditional school year), I'd run Singapore 5 concurrently with Beast 4.  When possible, cover a topic in Singapore, and then soon after, cover it in Beast.  Otherwise, just run concurrent.  

***Beast 5 won't be out for some time yet.  5A is newly released and 5B is scheduled for later this spring.  They won't have the entire grade level out until next year.  

• Like 3

I second the advice above.  This is essentially what we are doing.    I find that BA covers things so differently than SM that DD hasn't really realized she is doing the same things twice as the perspective is so different.  It has helped to cement things for her.  And if we only did SM she would be done quite quickly, so this helps stretch it out as we HS year round.

• Like 1

I do both. There's value in both programs and sufficiently different approaches that I see the benefit of both. I run BA a year behind. I find that going through it once with SM and then later with BA makes BA challenging but not quite as frustrating since it isn't the first time seeing a concept...just much deeper and thoughtful exploration of those topics. 

We do a lot of math around here. So Singapore isn't just TB & WB. We have the IP & CWP plus the Fan Math Express Math books as well. 

• Like 2

We switched over entirely and if that's what you want to do then I would just continue on from where you are. As someone else said, BA 5 isn't finished and the work in 3 and 4 is pretty challenging so I don't think it would be a waste of your time. What happened to us (since we started Beast when it first came out) was that we ran out of material and had to find other ways to occupy our time. If you just continued with Beast from where you are, you would be unlikely to run into that problem, at least for quite a while.

Edited by ZaraBellesMom