Menu

Is CAP's French for Children as good as their Spanish for Children?

Jane Elliot

Hi,

We are doing CAP's French For Children this year and after trying a couple others French programs that did not work for us, this one really does.  We have the DVD set that goes with it, so we can watch the lesson on it, listen to the CD as much as we need to  and dd can do the work in her student book.  The CD has some fun chants and I like the instructor who does the instruction on the video.  The course said it could be done in less than a year, but for us to really understand what we are doing, it is going to take us much longer.  I would recommend this program if you get the DVD/CD along with the student/teacher book.

May

• Like 2

We have also been through many French programs over the years, and French for Children is hands down our favorite! My daughter absolutely loves it, especially the chants and DVD. They are supposed to release level B this summer.

Do you feel it is too 'young' or slow for a 7th grader?

Do you feel it is too 'young' or slow for a 7th grader?

Hmmmm....that is a tough one.  I would say yes for an 8th grader, but no for a 6th grader.  Seventh grade to me seems that grey area where it might depend on the type of 7th grader you have.  For an advanced 7th grader, it might be too young/slow in which case you may want to look at a program like SYRWTLF.  I suppose it might depend on how much French your 7th grader has studied and/or whether he or she tends to dislike goofy or silly things.  The author does use a dialogue between a mouse and a cow at the start of each chapter and pads in some humor along the way that might be considered childish, but this is what engages my current 5th grader so much.  He also offers some basic explanations of English grammar that may be simplistic for a 7th grader but would be necessary for elementary school age children to understand in order to grasp French grammar. The program does teach a great deal of vocabulary/conversational words and has rock solid explanations of the French language though (much clearer than I've seen in other programs), so for this reason I would have used it with my past 7th graders and just let them move faster through the series (but then again my kids appreciate a little goofy humor).  Another option is to wait until Level B is released this summer and look at the samples to see if the second level of the program would look more appropriate for your 7th grader.  I would also e-mail CAP to ask their opinion.  They've been very helpful in the past when I've asked questions!

Any other French for Children users have an opinion?  I don't want to mislead anyone...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So far (and I'm only two lessons in, mind!) I've been watching the DVD on Day 1 and Day 2. We listen to the audio files daily/ and or practice the vocabulary with index cards that I'm putting together as we go. On Day 3 we do the workbook pages. On Day 4 we have the quiz. Time will tell if that will continue to work or I will have to adjust the schedule.

• 10 months later...

Two lessons in and we are liking it. I have seventh grade twins with a silly bent, so we enjoy the instructor quite a bit. I'm having a little trouble adjusting to what we need to do every day, but that's me, not the program. So far, so good. 

By looking at your signature, you are not using CAP FFC this year.

Can you compare CAP and MP French and tell us why you switched?

Pam

By looking at your signature, you are not using CAP FFC this year.

Can you compare CAP and MP French and tell us why you switched?

Pam

Not this year. I'm not all that fond of MP French so far, though. Not enough hand-holding for me, and I really don't like having to do all the lesson stuff myself. But, it's probably good for me. 

However, I switched from CAP French to MP because CAP French was taking us way too long with the DVD and the lesson! I don't have all day to listen to the instructor hammer home a point that was well made with one example. If I just had French, and wasn't also teaching Latin, I would have been tempted to stay with CAP. MP just gets done faster, and right now, that's more important to me.

• Like 1