Menu

RightStart C Geometry lessons

kalusignan

We're about halfway through the geometry/drawing section in RightStart C (2nd ed.), and we are LOVING it! I read SO MANY testimonies about moms/kids who hated this part of the book, how they could never draw anything accurately, how the entire section was skipped, etc. I just wanted to put this out there because that has not been our experience at all. It's really been a breath of fresh air. After going through a fairly intense (for my daughter) subtraction section, this has been a great break for us. After continuing to play a lot of the subtraction games, I'm optimistic that she will have more confidence when we get back to subtraction in a couple weeks.

• Like 3

Oh yes.  We almost skipped this section, as I was trying to condense C for my third grade daughter (who should really be in D, but we got a late start).  I'm so glad we didn't.  She took such care with her work, and learned a lot from that section. She even wanted to send off some of her drawings to her great grandfather, who is an engineer and appreciates that sort of thing.

• Like 1

My daughter loved the geometry sections until they got intricate enough she couldn't manage them, then we moved on. But we were using them out of level, so the drawing was aimed at kids with more advanced fine motor than my daughter had. None of my issues with RS C have to do with the geometry lessons, though, which I really found quite interesting and creative!

• Like 1

We're about halfway through the geometry/drawing section in RightStart C (2nd ed.), and we are LOVING it! I read SO MANY testimonies about moms/kids who hated this part of the book, how they could never draw anything accurately, how the entire section was skipped, etc. I just wanted to put this out there because that has not been our experience at all. It's really been a breath of fresh air. After going through a fairly intense (for my daughter) subtraction section, this has been a great break for us. After continuing to play a lot of the subtraction games, I'm optimistic that she will have more confidence when we get back to subtraction in a couple weeks.

This is off the OT, but I am so relieved to hear we aren't the only family struggling with the subtraction part of Level C. I am beside myself right now and taking a break from RS altogether, and my poor son feels defeated! Can't wait to get to the geometry part--it does look fun. For right now, I purchased a Math Mammoth workbook and we are going to work on simpler subtraction facts (ds is NOT into the games, and frankly, I find most of them too "bookish" anyway so we don't bother with most of the games). He's smart enough to see they aren't games at all.  :lol:

Which games to you like best?

This is off the OT, but I am so relieved to hear we aren't the only family struggling with the subtraction part of Level C. I am beside myself right now and taking a break from RS altogether, and my poor son feels defeated! Can't wait to get to the geometry part--it does look fun. For right now, I purchased a Math Mammoth workbook and we are going to work on simpler subtraction facts (ds is NOT into the games, and frankly, I find most of them too "bookish" anyway so we don't bother with most of the games). He's smart enough to see they aren't games at all.  :lol:

Subtraction games we are enjoying right now:

Subtraction Memory (S6)

Difference War (S12)

On the Number Ten (S25)

Subtracting From One Hundred (S33) - my dd is relying a lot on the abacus, which I'm cool with right now

I've also been meaning to play Subtraction Bingo (S24). My dd is a big fan of bingo in general, so I think she'll like it.

Another game we are enjoying right now as a family (my husband joins in the evening) is Sum Rummy (P3). 

Also - part of the reason she's struggled through the subtraction is that she is having a hard time 'getting' the subtraction tables, and there's a lot of that lumped together. If you look ahead, you can see that you'll be playing some of the subtraction games in lesson 85, and then when you come fully back to subtraction in lesson 88, it's introduced in a different way with the base-ten cards and then the abacus. That's what I like about RightStart; they give the kids time to mull over the concepts in their head and introduce the concepts in different ways. Eventually (in my experience) something clicks. And if it doesn't click, that's ok; we move on because I know we'll come back to it.

One of my boys LOVED the drawing lessons in C and asked for extensions and extra drawing lessons.  The other had a fine motor delay and they were so, so hard for him, but he did them anyway and was proud of his (hideous, lol) drawings.  I agree that they are a welcome and creative break from subtraction!

My ds7 really enjoyed the geometry section. He is my good at math but not liking it child. He said to me, "I didn't know shapes were math," which is funny to me since we've talked about quadrilaterals & triangles since level A. I'm pretty sure he didn't think drawing could be math. I liked that he had a hands on way of discovering fractions and relationships between shapes instead of just looking at pictures. I did have to help with the tools but it was good working together.

Subtraction games we are enjoying right now:

Subtraction Memory (S6)

Difference War (S12)

On the Number Ten (S25)

Subtracting From One Hundred (S33) - my dd is relying a lot on the abacus, which I'm cool with right now

I've also been meaning to play Subtraction Bingo (S24). My dd is a big fan of bingo in general, so I think she'll like it.

Another game we are enjoying right now as a family (my husband joins in the evening) is Sum Rummy (P3). 

We play "Difference War" a lot; I will have to check out the others. Its so hard to decipher which games will actually be entertaining and which will feel like work! We also play "Rummy" quite a bit.