Menu

Has anyone used Professor Carol courses? - for music history

She had a free trial a while back and I watched a lot of the videos and looked through the materials. I think it is excellent material. I only wish I had had a music history course this engaging available for high school.

My children only watched the odd video with me, so I don't know what it is like to complete an actual course.

I also didn't look very closely at how much output (writing, or tests, etc.) is given in the assignments, so I am not sure if I used it whether that is something that would be built in, or whether I would need to add some assignments to count for credits.

We have watched the DVDs for the American music course.  I'm not sure if these have been updated.  I bought them about 5 years ago, before she had the Scholars' Circle option.

I love Professor Carol and would sit through most of her workshops multiple times.  Her vibrant personality didn't come through well on the DVD.  She was more constrained than in person.  The flow of the material presented on the DVD didn't seem to make a lot of sense.  I got the impression that she wanted to touch on certain topics or people, but decided that it was important to include interviews with reps from historic sites connected to those musical topics - even when the person interviewed had little to add about the music.  Just as one example, there was a section of one lesson where the current curator of a historic house connected to a musical figure discusses the process of buying and moving the house to its current location.  At the end of it, I didn't know anything more about the musical figure or his music.  I also thought that there were relatively few samples of the music itself.  Perhaps there was a listening list that we missed.  I counted it as part of a fine arts credit, but am not saving the disks for the next kid.

Discovering Music might be better.  We haven't watched that set yet.

• Like 1

I am going to try out the free trial in order to see what the content is like. We have limited bandwidth, so if I like it - I will buy the DVD's.  I am interested in the Early Sacred Music course and the Discovering Music course.

I want to make sure the flow of teaching is something my high school student can follow. Lady Sebastian, thanks for the heads up. I will pay attention to this before investing a substantial chunk of money.

• Like 1

My daughter has done about half of Discovering Music and part of the History of the Arts in America (or whatever you call it). We have enjoyed them. The hard thing is finding the time to complete these extra classes (while playing three instruments, singing in two choirs, .......

• Like 1