Menu

math for 2nd grade creative girl--help!

jkl

Planning for next year.  dd7 and i have struggled through some of Miquon this year (she does not enjoy the discovery approach AT ALL and I am not good at teaching like this...).  She seems to enjoy things like the Math Made Easy workbook and Kumon workbooks--in very short sessions.  She has some fine motor delays and sensory issues that are complicating things a bit.  She loves to draw and she loves stories.  I really want something conceptual for her next year.  Suggestions??  Maybe BJU??

:bigear: We are in a similar boat!

If you haven't used LOF, I'd highly recommend it for a kid who loves stories. But it's not a complete math program...We've also done well with RS games, but again it needs a spine, and I haven't discovered one that fits yet. I wish so much that BA-2 was here...

:bigear: We are in a similar boat!

If you haven't used LOF, I'd highly recommend it for a kid who loves stories. But it's not a complete math program...We've also done well with RS games, but again it needs a spine, and I haven't discovered one that fits yet. I wish so much that BA-2 was here...

Oh, I forgot about LOF.  I wonder what I could add to it that would be conceptual and not too hard to implement.  Maybe games from education unboxed?  Or Rightstart games??? And a workbook??

Is it?

I know a lot of people who just do it for a set time every day, however long.  20 minutes, or 30.  I usually do a full lesson every day, with some rare exceptions where I break one up.

What kind of time frame are you looking for from your math?

Maybe I should look at it again.  We spend about 20 minutes of math here for 1st grade, and I expect to increase a bit for 2nd.  I just got the impression that RS would be a nightmare to attempt with a toddler running around :)  Maybe I meant it's too teacher-intensive :)

Edited by jkl

Maybe I should look at it again.  We spend about 20 minutes of math here for 1st grade, and I expect to increase a bit for 2nd.  I just got the impression that RS would be a nightmare to attempt with a toddler running around :)  Maybe I meant it's too teacher-intensive :)

The toddler running around can make it a bit of a challenge with the manipulatives--toddles looooooove them.  Sometimes you can pick a set of manipulatives that you're not using for the lesson and hand them to the toddler to use and that helps...as long as the manipulatives don't run off and not let themselves be found again.  It depends on your toddler.  Nap time is also a great time to do math.  ;)

Some RS lessons have a lesson and then the worksheet, but not all have worksheets, especially at this level.  My oldest is doing Level D now and there are worksheets for most lessons, as well as a warm-up that's done on paper.  But yes, the lower levels more of it is teacher-intensive.

Mine that doesn't much care for math and for whom miquon was a bust is doing well with cle. Simple workbooks, written to the child. Very incremental and effective. I still prefer Miquon and mep for my other kids, but this child just needs the clear format. She spends hours a day drawing and making up stories. Cle is our "get it done" math for her. Even so, math will never be her favorite. 😊

Edited by Meagan S

Same problem but we went back to CLE after dabbling into Horizons, Singapore, and McRuffy. It just works so well. I let her use colored pencils when she can to liven things up. For example, we color code the addition and subtraction problems. Not every subject has to be fun and creative. 

Usually DS adds the creative element himself. After (or in the middle of) using the abacus for math he'll create pictures with the beads, he'll reenact tales and rhymes with c rods (like humpty dumpty on a c rod wall), tell stories about the pictorial representations in Singapore textbooks, and so on. You could try showing her how to be creative with whatever type of thing you're doing.

• Like 1

I started using MEP for my whole-to-parts kid. She likes it and has made some great strides. 

I do want to address the "I-don't-have-time" idea. At some point last summer/fall, when dd8 and I were having problems with math (basically, her hating it), I had this epiphany that she needed me and that math matters. I committed to doing MEP with her and sitting there the.entire.time (though MEP takes 45 minutes per lesson if you do the whole thing). She has matured since then, but for a good 4 months I sat by her every single day for 45 minutes, directing her to look at the paper, put her pencil down, refocus, yes, the paper, do the problem, no don't fold the paper, you can do it, refocus etc. She's gotten better and I'm only with her for 15 minutes per day now, but that commitment really changed her relationship with math and helped me not to resent her needing me.

That said, RightStart in 2nd grade can be done for 20 minutes with a timer, picking up where you left off the next day. You can use online games for practice (we used ReflexMath for a year) instead of playing, or assign games to be played with an older sibling. RightStart is an excellent program. There is a bit of discovery at the beginning, but then everything is taught systematically.

Emily

ETA: My kids are now 11, 9, 7, 4, and baby. When I was going 45 minutes of math per day with dd they were 10, 8, 6, and 3. I would often send dd6 to play with ds3 while listening to her Suzuki violin while I did math with dd8. Dd10 would put on a set of hearing protectors to block the sound of the lesson and we were set!

Edited by EmilyGF

I started using MEP for my whole-to-parts kid. She likes it and has made some great strides. 

I do want to address the "I-don't-have-time" idea. At some point last summer/fall, when dd8 and I were having problems with math (basically, her hating it), I had this epiphany that she needed me and that math matters. I committed to doing MEP with her and sitting there the.entire.time (though MEP takes 45 minutes per lesson if you do the whole thing). She has matured since then, but for a good 4 months I sat by her every single day for 45 minutes, directing her to look at the paper, put her pencil down, refocus, yes, the paper, do the problem, no don't fold the paper, you can do it, refocus etc. She's gotten better and I'm only with her for 15 minutes per day now, but that commitment really changed her relationship with math and helped me not to resent her needing me.

That said, RightStart in 2nd grade can be done for 20 minutes with a timer, picking up where you left off the next day. You can use online games for practice (we used ReflexMath for a year) instead of playing, or assign games to be played with an older sibling. RightStart is an excellent program. There is a bit of discovery at the beginning, but then everything is taught systematically.

Emily

ETA: My kids are now 11, 9, 7, 4, and baby. When I was going 45 minutes of math per day with dd they were 10, 8, 6, and 3. I would often send dd6 to play with ds3 while listening to her Suzuki violin while I did math with dd8. Dd10 would put on a set of hearing protectors to block the sound of the lesson and we were set!

Thanks.  It's not that I resent her needing me for math (of course she does/will.  She's 7!)  I'm just trying to be realistic about what I can do at this time in our lives.  Believe me, I know how important math is!  Oh the hours I have spent stressing over math curriculum for all 3 kids!!!  :)

Edited by jkl