Menu

History for 1st grade.....I forgot how to do this!

happymainemom

Hi Friends!

I am wondering what different history curriculums are out there for little guys.  Years ago, when the first book came out and my oldest was my only, I did exactly what WTM said and used the Usborne history book, M W F, wrote and colored a page.....but now I have twins starting in the process and I find that I just don't know what is out there to choose from.  There are many things I have heard of over the years, but when it comes to history we have either used the Usborne book process or SOTW.  I really love story of the world, but I'm going to use that when they are older.

I would like something very visual and rather concrete because on of my twins has Autism. But I'm not too concerned about his understanding things....he has a long time to go.

Some of the things I remember are:  Mystery of History, Sonlight, Time Travelers....sheesh I can't remember others.  Too early in the morning? lol

I am going to post on the special needs board, but for general purposes I just need a good list to look at and see what has come out in the last 15 years!

Thanks!

We've been using this book, which is wonderful for that age! It's very high level, gives a good understanding of what a timeline is, the history of holidays, maritime, houses, etc. which I think is probably enough for 1st.

https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=013086

(They also have a book called History of US--which is mostly US history.)

Can you combine your kids at all?  If so, consider doing something together, just at a much simpler level with the young ones?  Read SOTW, some other books from the library, do a craft, possibly keep a timeline and that's it.  You can keep it super simple but still give them exposure.

All of this, of course, would be over the course of the week so you wouldn't have to spend TONS of time 'doing history' together.

Edited by smarson

I am homeschooling my first grader and we are using Ambleside Online's history recommendations:  Fifty Famous Stories and Our Island Story.  I also added in Our Island Saints and Great Americans for Little Americans as additional read alouds.  My husband usually reads aloud from one of these texts before bed.  Robby narrates the reading and usually we will talk about it for a few minutes.  Then later we add to our large map of Great Britain landmarks from our reading.  I have SOTW and plan to use the audio cds and activity pages as a fun supplement during breaks.  I am also considering getting the few ancient audio books from Simply Charlotte Mason.

Story of the World volume one is fabulous for first graders. That's who it was written for.

Mystery of History is a higher level, Time Travelers are an Usborne supplement, and Sonlight is a reading schedule with a ton of living books for history and literature.

Personally I'd just do SOTW with the activity guide and any extra books your library has. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Otherwise perhaps delaying history and just doing some basic geography this year. My little guy could go either way this fall.  I've set aside some basic geography like Geography and Map Activities (Rand McNally), Children Just Like Me, and such for him. His then third grade sister will be starting ancient history and I'll experiment with combining him to see how he takes to it.

FWIW, my DC on the spectrum mostly used the same schoolbooks as the rest of the kids; we just modified it as needed.

Edited by SilverMoon

I have Bede's History of Me and History of US. I liked the History of Me as a gentle way to introduce the idea of history and a timeline and I'm using it with my twin kindergartners. It's not that long, I think you could easily finish it in in 6-8 weeks. I wasn't as impressed with the History of US and I'll probably find something else to use when we start some US history.

• Like 1

We read history stories at that age. In the past I've had only limited success with a timeline with children that young. We love fifty famous stories and one of my daughters really enjoyed A Child's Hostory of the World at that age, as well as the cd of Our Island Story.