Menu

Literature/curriculum help!

Sub01

I am a new to homeschooling mom and am trying to decide what to use for my children. I haven't been homeschooled myself, but have done lots of research and am starting to get a feel for what I would like....but it's all confusing and not sure which route to take! I will be starting K fall of 2017 so still have time to look and research, but I'm wanting to make a solid plan for the future.

My main question is: I am wondering if there is a literature program that uses living books? I love many aspects of classical education and the well trained mind, but would like the planning to be via a "boxed" curriculum or atleast something with some guidance. If I didn't use a full curriculum (such as Sonlight or something else), I *think* I would like to start with:

-Spell to Write and Read (spelling/reading/grammar)

- Saxon Math

- Mystery of History

Eventually I think I would add in apologia science.

I just wish I could find something to help give guidance on literature (a good book list/bundle of living books with discussion questions from a biblical worldview, etc). (As opposed to looking at a book list and trying to gather materials and wade through it all myself, trying to glean the best discussions/lessons from each book)

My desires for homeschooling are:

- to teach multiple children together/streamlined fashion

- to have a lot of the planning/gathering materials already done for me

- to make Christ the center of our education.

There are things I like about Sonlight, Heart of Dakota, The Well Trained Mind, and Classical Conversations. I don't have any experience in homeschooling so hope this all makes sense. Thanks for any advice or ideas!

Edited by Sub01

You might look at Memoria Press or Veritas Press. I don't know of one except CLE or BJU but those do not use real books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build Your Library is based on living books. You just need to add the skill subjects - math, grammar, spelling, and composition. But, it's separate grade levels, so you might be teaching completely different time periods, if you have something like a 6th, 4th and 1st grader, for example.

Another is Wayfarers, which covers all age groups/stages and keeps them in the same time period for history and the same type of science. 

I'd also suggest looking at Memoria Press-  Their Enrichment books look great.  I am so tempted to grab the K one for next year, but already have the year planned out.  

You can also look at My Father's World.  We have used K, Adventures and their Creation to Greeks.  I have enjoyed their materials and for the most part it is planned out for you, but K, 1st and 2nd are separate (although you could combine kids if you want.  My 2nd and K did the 2nd together last year).  Then they have a cycle for 3rd - 8th grade.

We are currently using MOH for my 3rd and advanced 1st grader...although we are enjoying it, I would suggest you look at it first to see if it would be appropriate for your K.  My pre-ker who will be K next year enjoys listening in here and there and completing projects with us, but there is a lot of information in there and some can be more than you want (they talk about how the Assyrians tortured people...not pretty- you can easily omit as I'm going to guess you will be reading it aloud).  It may not keep the attention of the younger ones (my youngest will color while listening when he wants).  

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into it. I've recently been looking into MFW. It looks like a great mixture of things I've been drawn to about other programs. (Bible focus, planned out, I can eventually use Saxon and apologia science, streamline teaching) One of the things I've read recently is that Streams of civilizations is a dry textbook. Any thoughts? I was thinking I might could replace that with MOH?

Also, with MFW, I currently have a 3 yr old and 4.5 yr old. I'm trying to figure out if I should try and combine them or go ahead with my older when she is 5 going on 6 (sept bday) and then combine my 3 yr old and 1 yr old later on when they are ready? It just seems like I'm going to have to hold the older one back so long to combine any pairs. Or maybe I do them separate until they hit the 3rd grade rotation?

Thanks for the advice! My plan to use MOH, Saxon, and apologia were definitely long term ideas (not K except we will do some math). I have just liked what I've seen/heard of them. K will hopefully still be laid back (I'm excited so it can be hard not to jump the gun!). I'm just trying to understand how you start them out bc if the middle went along with the older some then he would be kind of off as far as boxed curriculum goes/what guide he would be in. (If that makes sense)

One of my thoughts in regards to buying a boxed k MFW would be to get a feel for what the curriculum is like and as a tool to give me some structure/accountability to teach the children about God. I have used little hands to heaven with them and it is such a sweet prek set. It's FUN. They love it and beg to do it. It gives great ideas for me to do fun stuff with them and they are learning so much about God and it gives creative ideas I wouldn't have come up with on my own. Wondering if I am thinking MFW might be a good fit for older years, if it would help to "try it out" with K before it matters. I would buy it used.

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into it. I've recently been looking into MFW. It looks like a great mixture of things I've been drawn to about other programs. (Bible focus, planned out, I can eventually use Saxon and apologia science, streamline teaching) One of the things I've read recently is that Streams of civilizations is a dry textbook. Any thoughts? I was thinking I might could replace that with MOH?

Thanks for the advice! My plan to use MOH, Saxon, and apologia were definitely long term ideas (not K except we will do some math). I have just liked what I've seen/heard of them. K will hopefully still be laid back (I'm excited so it can be hard not to jump the gun!). I'm just trying to understand how you start them out bc if the middle went along with the older some then he would be kind of off as far as boxed curriculum goes/what guide he would be in. (If that makes sense)

One of my thoughts in regards to buying a boxed k MFW would be to get a feel for what the curriculum is like and as a tool to give me some structure/accountability to teach the children about God. I have used little hands to heaven with them and it is such a sweet prek set. It's FUN. They love it and beg to do it. It gives great ideas for me to do fun stuff with them and they are learning so much about God and it gives creative ideas I wouldn't have come up with on my own. Wondering if I am thinking MFW might be a good fit for older years, if it would help to "try it out" with K before it matters. I would buy it used.

Yes streams is dry and I only difficult to use. If you'd prefer MOH (which we did) and Apologias, then getting mfw isn't worth the money. You can use it to reference books to go along with your studies (I like their read alouds). The mfw k is different than the higher levels. It is arranged by unit themes. One thing I did not like is they the reading instruction is included. I prefer to move at my child's own pace for that. I already had AAR so we used that rather than mfw reading and I also added in our own math. Since I was gifted the tm I didn't mind doing that. Why not continue with hod?

Also combining them wil l depend on your children. Chose the curriculum to best suit your oldest and then allow your younger child to join in as wanted. If it's a fun, hands on, play based program, you're you get child will more likely join in. Math and reading I'd do separately. My two oldest are 18 months apart and when my oldest did k, my second came along for the ride and joined in (except for reading and math). They've continued to do work together with my younger two currently sitting in as they want. They learn so much that way!

ETA: Try not to plan too far ahead. Your kids are still so young and you'll want to make sure your picks are right for them. MOH, apologia, Singapore are all great, but they may not be the best fit :). I thought I wanted to do apologia for science and had planned to do so, but then found my kids learning styles are different and we found something so different but works perfectly for them.

Edited by Clmegancm

My oldest will be 5 almost 6 fall of 2017 which is when I plan to start kindergarten. At that time my middle will be 4.5 and my youngest will be 2.5.

MOH looks good. If you can include your littles, then go for it. But it is parent-intensive.

Although SWR is good, it is also teacher-intensive. Not sure I'd recommend using that *plus* MOH when you have so many littles.

Although I like Saxon beginning with Math 54, I don't love the primary levels. Again, it's fairly parent-intensive (although maybe it doesn't take lots of time; not sure on that.).

In short, you've chosen several good publishers, but they are all parent-intensive. You can't do parent intensive with lots of littles. :-)

I would keep using HOD (love so much about it) and haven't thrown the idea out. But I would prefer to use a curriculum/method to streamline things and from what I have read you really can't combine children in HOD. (We have three children and would love more so it would be nice. And it just seems like it would be fun for the kids to be learning similar things in history and somet other things). It also seems like HOD spends a lot of time on US history and I would prefer to do more of a chronological study.

It's good for me to put the brakes on planning. I can look through things and pick what I like but I do need to see what suits my children down the road...that's one of the main reasons to homeschool- to meet their unique needs. Thanks! (It's hard sometimes for us very enthusiastic not-quite-there moms!)

I'm not sure how to quote things on here yet...but in regards to the publishers being parent intensive...that was one thing I like about MFW. I can't remember what grade it started at but starting at either 1st or 2nd it said the children would have 60-90 min of independent time which would allow the teacher to work with younger students.

Edited by Sub01

Yes streams is dry and I only difficult to use. If you'd prefer MOH (which we did) and Apologias, then getting mfw isn't worth the money. You can use it to reference books to go along with your studies (I like their read alouds). The mfw k is different than the higher levels. It is arranged by unit themes. One thing I did not like is they the reading instruction is included. I prefer to move at my child's own pace for that. I already had AAR so we used that rather than mfw reading and I also added in our own math. Since I was gifted the tm I didn't mind doing that. Why not continue with hod?

Why would MFW not be worth the money? I was thinking just replace boring text (streams) with MOH text and then I still have all the benefits of the guide (especially literature). I wonder if a lot of this would make more sense once I'm actually in it and fleshing it out?

Edited by Sub01

Hi,

You might want to look at videos from educationunboxed for FREE ideas of games to play with c-rods to teach your little ones.  Read Aloud Revival just published their read aloud list which - shocking -  focuses on good books to read aloud. 

You can also check out Ambleside online for some great books lists but they expect you to keep your kids reading at different time periods, etc.  It relies on many public domain books that are great. Pathways is a free bookslist for your 4 to 6 yo child.  She is also the author of Wayfarers - mentioned above.  That program does have extensive booklists and keeps kids in the same time period when you are teaching.  I am working towards using Wayfarers (it is pretty new but here are her samples which include a look at her booklist for each time period - so generous).  It has lots of great books at all different levels.  

Sonlight is also a popular living books based curriculum.  I have many friends who have really enjoyed it. 

I do agree with other moms.  I LOVE to plan but now that my kids are older I realized that I missed out on just being with them because I was always getting ready for the "next statge" instead of enjoying where they are.  During this time it is great to really think about educating yourself about phonics, history, math education, etc.  The more background knowledge you have - the easier it is to just share information with your child in the moment.  If you want to learn a bunch about phonics I would go to the Logic of English you tube channel and she gives a really good overview of most OG phonics programs (which Spell to Write and Read is in that category).  Listen to classical music, look at great works of art (even just on the screen), play, read, go outside, sing folk songs and read fairy tales.  

As regards Classical Conversations.  We have done it the past 3 years and it is NOT a literature based approach.  It is a neo-classical approach that focuses on straight memory work in the PK4 - 6 grade years.  There are resources you can find to help add in the literature but the program itself is not designed to include story.  

Another thing that a lot of mom's really enjoyed recently was a post about how their Myers Briggs personality fit their homeschooling type.  Almost everyone I know who read this said that it fit them well.  So, maybe this can also give you a sense of the type of programs (or methods) that might work for you.  One of my friends who is a teaches teachers says that it takes about 3 years for them to really find their stride in the classroom.  If we can spend these first few years figuring out what type of programs work best for us and watch our children to see more about how they learn best that is really time well spent.  

Some things to think about: 

Do you prefer PDF print outs, reading from a screen or real books? 

Do you want something that tells you what to do day by day or just a general list and you'll go at your own pace? 

Do you want an "all in one" or are you okay putting together pieces?  (realizing most programs will encourage you to choose your own math)

Do you like doing activities or are you okay with just sticking to books and stories? 

What kind of schedule works best for you - do you like to have a clear rhythm or is it better to just go with the flow?  (There are tons of good posts out there about how different moms schedule their days - no two are really alike - but after looking at them you can begin to see what fits your family personality). 

Do you want to be a part of community - an extra curricular group, a group that does core subjects, a fun play date group, no group - you like to stay home? 

Anyway, there are tons of resources out there but if you take some time thinking about what you think might work best for your personality and family it will help you as you look at these resources to see if they work.  There will be trial and error - some things won't work the way you thought they would - it's all part of learning!  Enjoy time with them.  

Why would MFW not be worth the money? I was thinking just replace boring text (streams) with MOH text and then I still have all the benefits of the guide (especially literature). I wonder if a lot of this would make more sense once I'm actually in it and fleshing it out?

It wouldn't be worth the money when you replace the main text since you'd no longer be using their plan. For example, their Bible is just assigning a chapter or verses to read. It doesn't match up with what you are learning or have extras. For the read alouds, again, it doesn't match up with what you are learning and it just tells you to read the chapters. Again science doesn't line up and it will tell you which chapter. From my perspective, their history is the main part and when you take away the main text, you'd need to then do the extra work to put it in where it matches up. It's be more worth your time and money to choose exactly what you want to use and do it at your own pace. I did try to use MOH along with ctg since we had it and it does complement it well, but they move at different paces and are set up differently. Each does better on their own. That's just my opinion, but I'd suggest looking at the sample plans online and see if the program makes sense. I just think you'd save money by purchasing MOH with any supplements you want to go along and save the cost of an IG that you are really not using.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'll just have to keep thinking about it. One of my main concerns is how to homeschool a large family. We only have 3, and we will just see what God has planned, but I would like to set myself up well to be successful.

For the next couple of years, all you have to "teach" is phonics, math, and a bit of writing (plus, read good books). Sounds like you've chosen good programs for those. Since your thread title is, "Literature/curriculum", I thought I would suggest that you back away from the idea of all of the complete or packaged curriculum for now. It is easy to jump ahead of your self and envision or create problems in your mind that don't exist yet. Your thoughts and ideas will evolve dramatically over your first year or two homeschooling your children, so wait to plan/buy curriculum until later. I would suggest that you instead take this time to do some self-education. There are some great resources out there. I recommend visiting the Center for Lit http://www.centerforlit.comto learn a bit about how to read and analyze literature. Does this mesh with your philosophy? If so, do a bit of work at aJH/ high school level to decide if you want to take a similar approach with your kids when they're older. Similarly, teach yourself grammar. Work through Rod & Staff 6 or Analytical Grammar so that when it is time to teach your kids, you'll know exactly what you're doing. Pick up grade 5 or 6 of the math program you plan to use and...work through it. It will give you much greater perspective than obsessing over the "perfect" all-in-one curriculum for your kids right now. Lest you think I'm being harsh or dismissing your concerns: I wish someone had told me this stuff when I was just starting out. Actually, someone did tell me this. I just didn't listen!  :closedeyes:

Anyway, best of luck. It is such a fun adventure and a worthy pursuit. May you have many happy years at home with your kids.

For the next couple of years, all you have to "teach" is phonics, math, and a bit of writing (plus, read good books). Sounds like you've chosen good programs for those. Since your thread title is, "Literature/curriculum", I thought I would suggest that you back away from the idea of all of the complete or packaged curriculum for now. It is easy to jump ahead of your self and envision or create problems in your mind that don't exist yet. Your thoughts and ideas will evolve dramatically over your first year or two homeschooling your children, so wait to plan/buy curriculum until later. I would suggest that you instead take this time to do some self-education. There are some great resources out there. I recommend visiting the Center for Lit http://www.centerforlit.comto learn a bit about how to read and analyze literature. Does this mesh with your philosophy? If so, do a bit of work at aJH/ high school level to decide if you want to take a similar approach with your kids when they're older. Similarly, teach yourself grammar. Work through Rod & Staff 6 or Analytical Grammar so that when it is time to teach your kids, you'll know exactly what you're doing. Pick up grade 5 or 6 of the math program you plan to use and...work through it. It will give you much greater perspective than obsessing over the "perfect" all-in-one curriculum for your kids right now. Lest you think I'm being harsh or dismissing your concerns: I wish someone had told me this stuff when I was just starting out. Actually, someone did tell me this. I just didn't listen! :closedeyes:

Anyway, best of luck. It is such a fun adventure and a worthy pursuit. May you have many happy years at home with your kids.

Thanks so much for this advice. It is good. I'll admit it's difficult to back off...and I assume many of you can understand since you've said you had a similar experience. 😋 I will do my best to let go and be patient! And I love the idea of replacing my zeal with self education. I really am looking forward to homeschooling for that purpose- learning things I only regurgitated for a test and only now desire to truly know. The more I learn, the better I will be able to educate my children. I am looking forward to it!

Edited by Sub01
  • Like 1