Menu

XP: Does CC Challenge A really take an hour per subject a day?

IfIOnly

I'm looking at the course, and it just doesn't seem to add up. Does geography really takes an hour a day of home work? Latin? I could see LToW and math, but not the reasoning and aplogetics (read, outline, summary-even the tutor said his son only spent about 15 min. a day on this), geography (free hand draw a continent/countries/capitals) and science (4 hours a week to read about a topic of choice, KWO, and write a short paper on it or draw a body system?).

Just wanting to find out what to expect before we commit to CC next year.

Thanks!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I have no clue, but am following, as we are starting Challenge A in the fall...

We most likely are too. I really like that when you get to Challenge application and the conversations start happening rather than just the memorizing in the lower years. It is really strange to think of my DS gone a whole school day!  I'm still getting used to that idea. I'm going to miss him, but it will be good for him to have work step up and be challenged (in way he's not at home) with peers and another adult!

Besides my oldest, I will have another middle school student, but he's working a year ahead and doesn't meet the age requirement of 12 for Challenge. He's looking forward to Foundations and Essentials (IEW writing looks good) though.

I have no interest in CC so I haven't looked that deeply into it, but could it be "up to" an hour a day? Meaning once you've spent an hour on a subject stop, rather than use up the entire hour every day?

I've heard from numerous sources to expect and budget an hour of homework per subject, but, unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing how that's possible. I will be relieved if it's not such a full work load though! My kids are still spending so much time on hobbies, personal educational interests, and playing with each other. I'm good with things being lighter until high school.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

We are also looking at Challenge A when my daughter reaches 7th grade. So, you guys report back to me next year! I would really like some time for history at home, so I'm hoping it doesn't take 6 hours a day.

We are planning on enrolling her for 6th grade in Essentials. I'm wondering if it will be confusing to learn IEW methodology for one year and then immediately switch to Lost Tools of Writing in 7th.

• Like 1

My older daughter, now 17 did Challenge A in 8th grade and her younger sister will be starting Challenge A this fall. She did not spend six hour a day doing course work but I think the aforementioned descriptions of may be a bit more simplified than they actually are in reality. 

For instance she memorized the entire globe which is why geography took so much time, in fact a ton of time.

There is also list of things to memorize for apologetics that you will need to factor into the that subject. This probably still won't have you at an hour a day for that strand, but it is something to be aware of.

In science she did very detailed drawings and wrote fairly lengthy papers.

Much of what you get out of the class depends on your tutor, student and what you want to get out of the program.  At the end of the day it is you the parent who determines the work load. If you have a busy week and decide to only write a sort snippet for science, that is acceptable. If you feel like your student is capable of more, it is your decision as parent to require it.

HTH

• Like 2

My older daughter, now 17 did Challenge A in 8th grade and her younger sister will be starting Challenge A this fall. She did not spend six hour a day doing course work but I think the aforementioned descriptions of may be a bit more simplified than they actually are in reality. 

For instance she memorized the entire globe which is why geography took so much time, in fact a ton of time.

There is also list of things to memorize for apologetics that you will need to factor into the that subject. This probably still won't have you at an hour a day for that strand, but it is something to be aware of.

In science she did very detailed drawings and wrote fairly lengthy papers.

Much of what you get out of the class depends on your tutor, student and what you want to get out of the program.  At the end of the day it is you the parent who determines the work load. If you have a busy week and decide to only write a sort snippet for science, that is acceptable. If you feel like your student is capable of more, it is your decision as parent to require it.

HTH

Yes, thank you!  I appreciate you sharing your experience and thoughts.