Menu

For those of you requesting friends...

Do you, like me, feel the need to introduce yourself in some way. I mean, it just seems weird to send this request out of the blue. I am thinking "What if they don't know me?" And the thing is, they probably don't. So for all of you who get an invitation from me, this is who I am, okay? Just Me - Michelle from central NC, three kids, dh in ministry, overworked, underpaid, and avoiding some very important task (like toilet cleaning or yardwork) by being here on the boards.

So now you know...won't you please be my friend? :D

I'm not understanding the friend thing at all. Why do we have to have friends listed here? I have people I like and I know some people like me. Why is this necessary?

You don't *have to* - it's just a fun little thing that people can play with if they want . ;)

Y'know, how some boards have dress up characters or pets or whatever - just options that you can play around with if you like it. :)

I'm kind of hesitant about it, too. I've only sent one request, and that was to someone who I know that I know that I know would know who I am.

There are so many posters here that I can't always keep everybody straight, and I know that, being one of the less frequent posters, I fall into that same category for nearly everybody else . . . especially since I just removed my avatar (it was of my three kids).

So, timidly, I avoid sending friendship requests, even though I want to belt out, a la Veggie Tales, "I can be your friend! I can be your friend!"

(And I can, you know. I can be your friend!):)

La, La, La, I can be your friend...if you get down, in times of trouble, I can be there on the double...or something like that! :D

It has been a while since I watched Veggie Tales...I might need to brush up!

Lean on me

When you're not strong

I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on.

Oh, it won't be long

Before you will need

Somebody to lean on.

Just call your well-trained buddy

When you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on.

Just post that pesky problem

You don't understand

Lean on me

When you're not strong

I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on.

Oh, it won't be long

Before you will need

Somebody to lean on.

Just call your well-trained buddy

When you need a hand

Just post that pesky problem

You don't understand

:hurray: Everyone now...

I'm not understanding the friend thing at all. Why do we have to have friends listed here? I have people I like and I know some people like me. Why is this necessary?

Yeah. I just turned down two friendship requests too (please don't take offense ladies!) It just feels too weird formalising a friendship that isn't. Anyway, I live on the others side of the world to nearly all of you. I'm not going to be coming around with trays of brownies!

:confused:

Rosie *waves to Sandra/ Keptwoman* who probably does class as a neighbour, being only 2 1/2 hours away.*

nope I don't introduce myself. I figure if they don't know me yet, they will soon enough. I noticed that 1 person befriended me that I didn't really know, but all day today I have been noticing her posts etc. They stand out to me now because she took the step to ask to be my friend, so know I want to know more about her kwim.

I don't have irl friends so need to add lots here to feel like I am part of something bigger than myself kwim. It's that whole validation thing too.

Do you, like me, feel the need to introduce yourself in some way. I mean, it just seems weird to send this request out of the blue. I am thinking "What if they don't know me?" And the thing is, they probably don't. So for all of you who get an invitation from me, this is who I am, okay? Just Me - Michelle from central NC, three kids, dh in ministry, overworked, underpaid, and avoiding some very important task (like toilet cleaning or yardwork) by being here on the boards.

i was thinking that as well.

On facebook and myspace you can include a message when you send an invitation.

I guess I miss my 2 little green squares so i spent some time today (avoiding mopping the floor) looking for friends.

I've got soooo many things on my mind that i cant keep track of all the people I've had conversatons with here. I just looked trhough some old threads and sent requests to some people that said things that i really agreee with or have things in common.

It's not likely I'll be able to get brownies to their doors but I thought they were people I'd like if we lived close enough. KWIM?

i haven't found many (any) classical hs'er in this new county we live in so it really helps to have 'friends' that are doing similar things.

In my barney voice....

I like you

and you like me

we're a happy family...

Edited by lwilliams1922
dd reading over my shoulder points out typos

Do you, like me, feel the need to introduce yourself in some way. I mean, it just seems weird to send this request out of the blue. I am thinking "What if they don't know me?" And the thing is, they probably don't.

I feel the same way. I jumped into the friends thing with booth feet. I wanted to say something, at least, "Hi!"

You don't have to. It is optional. You do not have to request to be a friend. You do not have to accept a friend. THe reason (imo) that we now have these features is that the powers that be (tptb)have realized that one of the largest needs in the homeschooling community isn't a place to find advice about curriculum. The real need is a place for homeschooling plarents to hang out with like minded people. A place to chat. And, chatting tends to clog these boards up. The programs that offer these types of options tend to have friend features. So, in order to make us all happier and keep the boards running smoothly, tptb have generously added these features.:001_smile:

Got it. I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade.

No rain.:001_smile: It was a good question. I hope I didn't come across as being rude or upset or anything else negative. I thought you had an excellent question and hoped that I could shed some light into the reasoning behind the changes. Friends?;)

I am your friend. Guess some of us feel like they know you after reading your posts and agreeing with you a whole bunch. Perhaps we feel a relationship where one does not quite exist. It may be one sided. The new features may help out in these types of instances. Let's the other party know that we feel a little connection.

Btw, I am Lolly. A homeschooling mother to 4 from the south eastern USA. Not much more to me than that. Well, we have a dog and 3 cats.

You don't have to. It is optional. You do not have to request to be a friend. You do not have to accept a friend. THe reason (imo) that we now have these features is that the powers that be (tptb)have realized that one of the largest needs in the homeschooling community isn't a place to find advice about curriculum. The real need is a place for homeschooling plarents to hang out with like minded people. A place to chat. And, chatting tends to clog these boards up. The programs that offer these types of options tend to have friend features. So, in order to make us all happier and keep the boards running smoothly, tptb have generously added these features.:001_smile:

Lolly is so smart.

1.gif