Menu

Christian Textbook question

Rebecca

I don't have anywhere to ask this but here... and I am totally lost in this area.

I need to do some research regarding Christian textbooks for some subjects.

I know of A beka, Bob Jones, Rod and Staff, Christian Liberty Press, and I think? Covenant Home?

Is there something I am missing?

Is there anything someone could recommend?

Thank you so much!

Rebecca

Nothing specific... just trying to get a feel for what is out there...

I know that many curriculum providers are Christian...

I was specifically looking for textbooks that teach certain subjects from a Christian worldview...

specifically in history but also in science and other areas. I am familiar with Apologia.

Thanks again,

Rebecca

For history, the best resource from a Christian worldview I found is the series published by Nothing New Press (NNP): http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber.shtml

The Story of the Ancient World is a great history spine that integrates ancient and biblical history. For us, the history books from NNP worked better during the Logic stage, but The Story of the Ancient World can be a great read aloud for all ages.

Veritas Press comes to mind also. For history, they Veritas Press Guides for the younger set as well as Omnibus for older ones.

Greenleaf Press carries the Famous Men of series. I don't know if they still have a print catalog or not, but they used to have a great catalog.

Sonlight curriculum pulls together a history program using books and materials from all over. They come at it with a Christian perspective as well. They are not publishers of textbooks, though.

There is a sweet science program I have used. It is called Considering God's Creation. This would be for younger children. This is published by Eagles' Wings.

Rainbow Science has a wonderful science textbook for jr. high. You order an entire kit to go with this for your experiments.

The Mystery of History is a history curriculum published by Bright Ideas Press.

There is so much out there! Have fun hunting them all down.

Dear Kelli,

Thank you for trying to help me.

I am not trying to be vague on purpose!

(after I read through this post: we don't want in depth exposure to pagan cultures during the grammar stage- more of a "birds eye" view- does that help? That is why Veritas won't work.... plus I don't consider them a textbook "provider")I don't really know what I want...

my husband has been mentioning Christian textbooks for history so I am trying to research that as well as some other subjects.

What I wrote in my original post is really all I know...

As far as the Guerber books... I like those very much but in case readers of this post are not aware- I have very young children- oldest will only be 8 in April- and I thought those books were better for olders? I have read bits of Ancient World to my son and he has understood it fine but I was wondering if there was something else out there for his age. I am finding this all so confusing. I actually have Ancient World and I have Mystery of History...

but was thinking of waiting with those?

You say there are so many: what are they?

Thanks again,

Rebecca

Well, for the age of your kids, I think Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer is your best bet. The series doesn't include a lot of the biblical history that I would prefer, but they are very well done for young elementary students. That's why I follow-up with the Guerber books in the Logic stage.

Editied to add that you could include the VP flashcards to the SOTW series which would bring in more of a Christian worldview.

Do you have a particular theological or denominational perspective that you want to see reflected in your textbooks? "Christian" means different things to different people, and the publishers that have been mentioned so far cover a very wide range of beliefs. We are Christians, but I know I could not use materials from most of these publishers because their theological assumptions do not match up with - and in some cases directly conflict with - my own. We use a lot of Memoria Press materials because they are "mere Christian,"* and that allows me to fill in the religious context in a way that suits our family.

*Specifically, their baseline for orthodoxy is the Nicene Creed.

Before you buy any Christian textbook, you will need to define what doctrinal issues are most important to you. I'm fine with BJUP Science because it's pretty mainline Christian, but their history and literature would not be an option for our household. I'm fine with Veritas Cards, but have problems with some of their other choices. I'm one that likes the mainline Christian nature of Sonlight because I can insert our specific beliefs, but I was uncomfortable with Tapestry of Grace at times although it lends itself to flexibility that way.

IMHO some homeschoolers are not picky enough -- they use any Christian curriculum because it's Christian without considering their household's beliefs.

Thank you for these replies.

They really help.

In some areas, we lean more toward reformed- but not all.

You are right- I do need to "nail that down" before I can know which textbook and that might be what is lending to my confusion.

Thanks for pointing that out,

Rebecca

I have been following several of your threads and I would be curious as to what information that you find. I understand what you are going through. My oldest is about the same age as yours and we haven't done a lot of history because I can't find one that I really like. I have or have tried MFW (which used some CLP- we found their books very dry and boring), WP, STOW, CHOW, MOH. I like MOH best, but I know my husband doesn't like several because it doesn't match our beliefs. MOH has helped me to gain a broad overview which I think will help me to teach my kids and possibly branch out to use something different.

Jan