Menu

Speed queen dryer owners HELP!

Kathryn

If you have a Speed Queen dryer, what does the vent opening on the inside back look like? We got one last month and I'm noticing small black marks on some of the laundry. Looking around in there, the only thing I can imagine is that the metal back there is black looking and I don't recall it being like that when we bought. It doesn't come off when I touch it, but it's not hot right now and maybe that makes a difference.

Here it is:

76EA82F9-0967-4BA9-BB56-84BE62B492FC.jpg

And here is what I'm finding on my laundry:

A0B343A0-0693-49F2-8554-93DA14B80DD2.jpg

Does your dryer look like that? Anything else it could be? Should I contact the store?

ETA so far I've only noticed it on my cloth diapers and their microfiber inserts. I haven't closely examined the rest of the laundry though.

Edited by Kathryn

Every so often we find little marks on our clothes after coming out of the dryer. Our dryer looks like yours in back. The marks come out, but, yes, it is annoying. I feel like a traitor saying this because I absolutely LOVE Speed Queen and would never own anything else.

The dryer we had before would occasionally leave small marks as well and it was a Maytag.

This happened to ours. I called speed queen and they said something must have overheated and melted against it. Ours was actually sharp. They sent me a new one and haven't noticed the problem since. I take care not to overload the dryer to where stuff can't tble easily. I can't put my comforter in there anymore. Got a burn mark on it from that thing.

Every so often we find little marks on our clothes after coming out of the dryer. Our dryer looks like yours in back. The marks come out, but, yes, it is annoying. I feel like a traitor saying this because I absolutely LOVE Speed Queen and would never own anything else.

The dryer we had before would occasionally leave small marks as well and it was a Maytag.

How do you get the marks out?

This happened to ours. I called speed queen and they said something must have overheated and melted against it. Ours was actually sharp. They sent me a new one and haven't noticed the problem since. I take care not to overload the dryer to where stuff can't tble easily. I can't put my comforter in there anymore. Got a burn mark on it from that thing.

So, you contacted Speed Queen and not the retailer?

• 3 years later...
On 3/14/2016 at 6:09 PM, matrips said:

Hi could you clarify what they sent you? A new dryer or a new vent cover? Did the not tell you to use rigid ducting and try to blame it on poor installation? I had 3 dryers in a row in the same shed with a more or less identical setup and none of the others were burning our laundry like this one has since the very first few loads. I haven't been able to dry anything on high nor fill it, which defeats the purpost of forking out the extra grand for extra large capacity. I specifically requested a machine which could wash queen comforter with sheets in one load which this one can do only if I dry on low.  I'm not sure who has 2 full hours to dry their laundry.

Also, the washing machine portion performs horribly. It's so poor I've had to wash lightly soiled clothing on heavy duty with triple rinse. Anything that is actually dirty or sweaty (socks, sheets, dog bed covers) requires a pre-wash, plus heavy duty wash plus triple rinse and they still don't look or smell fresh. There just isnt enough water or agitation for truly dirty items. We had speed queen top-loader in our old place and it worked wonderfully. I'm not sure if this is simply a front-loader problem, but it could be. That said, the laundrymat front-loaders perform very well (not sure of brand) so it can't be only a front-loader design issue.

I an curious to know how much SQ was willing to help you out. Please share if you see this posting.

Many Thanks!

Alex

On 8/5/2019 at 9:05 PM, comfybrain said:

Hi could you clarify what they sent you? A new dryer or a new vent cover? Did the not tell you to use rigid ducting and try to blame it on poor installation? I had 3 dryers in a row in the same shed with a more or less identical setup and none of the others were burning our laundry like this one has since the very first few loads. I haven't been able to dry anything on high nor fill it, which defeats the purpost of forking out the extra grand for extra large capacity. I specifically requested a machine which could wash queen comforter with sheets in one load which this one can do only if I dry on low.  I'm not sure who has 2 full hours to dry their laundry.

Also, the washing machine portion performs horribly. It's so poor I've had to wash lightly soiled clothing on heavy duty with triple rinse. Anything that is actually dirty or sweaty (socks, sheets, dog bed covers) requires a pre-wash, plus heavy duty wash plus triple rinse and they still don't look or smell fresh. There just isnt enough water or agitation for truly dirty items. We had speed queen top-loader in our old place and it worked wonderfully. I'm not sure if this is simply a front-loader problem, but it could be. That said, the laundrymat front-loaders perform very well (not sure of brand) so it can't be only a front-loader design issue.

I an curious to know how much SQ was willing to help you out. Please share if you see this posting.

Many Thanks!

Alex

They sent a new vent cover.  The old one was burnt and got jagged edges.  No problems since.  It is high capacity compared to many, but I can’t do my king comforter in it.  My kids comforters are fine- twins and doubles.  

I have a top loader speed queen washer. From what I read, many energy star appliances get their ratings due to water efficiency and such, not for cleaning.  The manufacturer just needs to have the washer use the required water and time for a cycle.  Doesn’t matter if it cleans.  So energy efficient often turns out not to be in real everyday life.

• 1 year later...

My dryer is from 2015, it started doing this last year, I finally called to have it fixed, they replaced the thermostat but it is still doing it! I have 2 burnt vent covers! The new one is just two days old and already starting to burn. It burns clothes that are mixed fabric. 100% cotton does ok and I always use delicate cycle low heat now instead of regular. 

• 2 years later...

I own a Speed Queen washer and dryer and I tried to dry our Pottery Barn comforter on LOW (followed care instructions) and the dryer made a huge burn mark on our comforter.  I'm having a very hard time getting help from Speed Queen.  This happened back in November.  They took all of my info and said a service person would call me (they never called).  I made sure all of our venting was clean and operational.

Now this has happened a 2nd time! New burn mark - I call Speed Queen and just sit on hold forever.  so frustrating!  Comforter was $349!