Menu

Considering a move to Florida

lovealwayswins

I'm from Florida. I had lived here all my life, until I finally escaped in 2014. I really disliked living there and I'm sad that I stayed for so long. The heat and humidity are really unbearable for months out of the year. The bugs! ugh, I'm a magnet for them and they constantly bite me.

I'm from the Panhandle and there is no real job opportunities. The largest economic sector is tourism.

Ok now I will take off the Debbie Downer hat. :)

Great homeschooling laws are great! So easy, very hands off. Incredible people in NW FL, that's truly what I miss the most. Sugar white sand beaches are breathtakingly beautiful.

• Like 1

I live in central FL in the west of the state. It is the second biggest city so I doubt you're looking for that based on the busy factor.

The good- financial: no state income tax, low COL vs the NE, free college tuition for good students (well lower price at least)

For us - family are nearby

Homeschooling - easy laws to follow, in our area lots of groups. Less secular options if that's important.

Weather - if you hate the cold and variety in seasons the weather is awesome. Also if you like to garden there is a long planting season.

Geography - if you like oceans and beaches and water it's great.

The bad - if you dislike heat it can be hard to manage. I find it personally oppressive but of course a lot of people don't mind. I could spend pages complaining about the but I won't.

The state is super large and driving anywhere for vacation takes a long time depending on where you live.

Sometimes city data .com forums have good info if you're looking for specifics.

Edited by displace
  • Like 1

We have family really close by and sometimes that is a pro and sometimes it is a con.

We bought a foreclosure at close to the bottom of the housing market in 2011 so we have a pretty nice place.

Our little town is mostly a middle class retirement community historically.  A lot of the houses changed to rentals.  Most of our friends outside of family are in other towns because we go to church and do other activities somewhere other than our town.  Not much goes on here.  I love our house and the lake it is on but would really choose to have it somewhere else in FL.

Well you have to like hot and humid weather. Because that's what it is from about April - October in North Florida, and even longer the farther south you go. But you never have to check the weather at that time of year because it's always hot, it's always humid, and you generally get a short thunderstorm in the afternoon. "Winter," if you can call it that, is short and very mild. I'm originally from the Midwest and don't miss winter at all.

What I do miss--fall and spring. It took me years to get used to Thanksgiving and Christmas here, because it's often still 80 degrees and sunny and it just didn't feel like the holidays to me. A crisp fall day in the North with the trees blazing with color is so beautiful, and you won't find that anywhere in Florida. Plus it doesn't get cold enough for the bulbs to freeze and lie dormant in the ground, so you don't see spring blooms like daffodils and tulips.

There are a lot of people here--it's the fastest-growing state in the U.S. Our cities are large and congested. Our beaches are beautiful, both the Gulf side and the Atlantic, but the middle of the state is pretty flat and boring. The people here are friendly, though of course you meet all kinds, and lots of people are from other areas of the country. Homeschooling is popular, maybe because our schools don't rank particularly high, and is also very easy. We have decent state colleges and our in-state tuition is one of the lowest in the country, plus good Dual Enrollment options and a state merit scholarship program.

I visited Florida often growing up and never imagined myself living here. But I've been here almost 20 years now and can't imagine living anywhere else. It's just home.

We moved to the Clearwater area after having been in the Washington, DC area for the past 15 years.  We have been here 3.5 years.

The people here are very different than they were in my little northern VA town. There are fewer SAH Mom's here than in VA and I found it difficult at first to make friends.  My parents live in Sarasota and if I could do it all over again I would go there instead.

The weather - yes it is hot.  But honestly, it isn't that much hotter or more humid than August in DC.  The only difference is that in DC it would get a little cooler at night.  Here the heat and humidity last even after the sun goes down.  However, where I am, we are close enough to the Gulf to get some decent gulf breezes.

The schools (at least in my area) are not very good.  They are a good 1-2 years behind in math and other subjects where they were in Northern Virginia.  Homeschooling is easy.  Every year you have to either (a) have a certified FL teacher look over a portfolio (that review took all of 10 minutes when I did it) or (b) have a certified teacher proctor any nationally normed standardized test.  The standard you have to meet is "adequate yearly progress."  It is not hard to find certified teachers to do either of those things.

One year ago I was dying to get out.  Now that my husband will most likely be transferred to NC he will have to take me and the kids kicking and screaming.  Honestly, it is the weather.  I do not want to go anywhere cold again.  Ever.  We have become very spoiled.

• Like 1

We lived in FL (St Petersburg) for five years having moved there thinking it would be our lifetime state.  All three of my boys were born there.

We moved at the end of five years for the same reason most others have mentioned.  It's too hot and humid for far too long.  We missed spring, winter, and fall.  I didn't want my kids to not know what those seasons were.

FWIW, St. Petersburg, FL is still my favorite city for its cleanliness and vibrance - it's gorgeous looking.  The beaches off Pinellas County are still the best we've ever encountered (white, flat, wide, great for walking or finding shells).  North Beach off Ft. Desoto County Park is literally my #1 ranked beach since they've kept it unspoiled by condos and high rises.  We enjoy visiting - as long as it's between Nov and March.

We've determined we prefer living further north (PA tends to be great weather-wise most years) and just take a break by heading somewhere south in Feb for a Vitamin D recharge.  This year (and likely next), part of that will be in March to work around college spring breaks with my guys.

If you're not a snake person, beware of FL.  In most areas there are quite a few snakes - even in St Pete we saw them somewhat regularly around our house and pretty much always when heading off on trails.  Playgrounds/parks tend to be ok without them as long as there isn't water around.

I always smile when people complain of the heat and humidity here. Living in the midsouth all my life, with its heat and humidity, was much hotter than living in coastal Florida. Plus, during the hottest months, we have an afternoon shower to cool everything.

Bottom line, however, each part of the state is very different, not only in weather patterns, but also in lifestyle. Do a ton of research before choosing your location.

We moved to Florida nearly 3 years ago. We live in Central Florida near Orlando. If I had my choice, I would live in a coastal town, but, since my husband works for Disney, we have to stay in Central Florida.

I do miss the change of seasons, but, I have to say, the weather is great here from about November to April. From mid-April through October, the humidity is too high for me. But, as other have said before, those are the months that we stay indoors during the hottest part of the day.

I don't homeschool right now, but we homeschooled last year, and will homeschool again next year. The laws are easy here. I did not do an umbrella school the first time, but I am planning on using one this time. Other than providing brief attendance records, you really don't have to do anything else with an umbrella school from what I've heard.

On the good side, there are so many things to do in Florida, especially in the central and southern regions.

• Like 1

I'm a native...there aren't many of us :)

I grew up in Palm Beach County, and went to school in Tallahassee, and now live in the Orlando metro area. I will start by saying I hate orlando with the power of a thousand suns. it is dirty, and the traffic is awful, and I just hate it. However, there are SO many things to do homeschooling wise, and my husband loves it, so we stay. Bergh. We are probably going to move much further east in another year, to be further out of the madness. 

I LOVED northern Palm Beach County, but lately where I lived has gotten way too expensive and become an extension of Palm Beach, with the culture that entails. I don't like that part. But the traffic is so much better, and things are closer, and there is more of a community feel. There are still neighborhoods where you can ride your bike to the ice cream shop or whatever. 

Tallahassee is not like the rest of Florida, it's like living in Georgia or the rest of the south. Definitely has fall, and a winter, but the summer is way hotter than on the coast so not sure that's a good trade off. I do miss the nature, the tall trees, etc. I was homesick for it for a long time after I left. 

My good friend recently moved to Neptune Beach, near Jacksonville, and she RAVES about it. Seriously loves it. If I could choose I'd probably move near her. My parents live in Merritt Island, and I like it there too, but very small and laid back. Satellite Beach gets good reviews as well for families. 

Homeschooling is super easy, so no worries there. And kids can take classes and play sports at their zoned school even if they homeschool. LOTS of kids do a hybrid in high school, taking some classes at the school and homeschooling some. You can also take FLVS classes for free, on an ala carte basis, from grade 6 and up (before that it's full time or nothing). And dual enrollment is free! You just have to pay for books. 

Florida is a big state and other than the weather, what it's like is going to depend on where you choose to live.

North, Central, and South Florida each have a different flavor. As do the east coast and west coast and Gulf coast. Inland vs. coastal. Touristy areas vs. tourists don't even know this place exists. The Keys are almost an entirely different state. Each area is different and has pros and cons. If you have an idea where you're considering moving to, we Floridians can be more specific with our help.

It's a homeschool friendly state. We did an umbrella school up until ds started dual enrollment, then registered with the county. Even that is easy if you find the right teacher to do your evaluations. Homeschoolers can take classes and play sports at their zoned school, but the ps kids do get first dibs. So, if a class is full because all the kids who attend full time want it, your homeschooler won't get in. Still, we know a lot of homeschoolers who take/have taken classes at high school. While middle schoolers can also take classes, it's not as common as it is for high school age homeschoolers. Dual enrollment for homeschoolers is available too. The difference is that while tuition is free for everyone, ps kids don't pay for books and homeschoolers (and private schooled kids) do. While all state colleges that offer dual enrollment are required to allow homeschoolers in, each college has some freedom in setting their requirements for admission.

As has been mentioned we have a long, hot, humid, summer. The weather is nicest from November to March, though it can start getting too warm in March. We've had temperatures in the upper 70s - low 80s the past few days. That's not really considered hot but it's been fairly humid too, making it uncomfortable.

Florida is beautiful! There's much more to it than famous condo-lined beaches, a giant mouse, and Harry Potter world. We also have seasonal changes but you have to take off your blinders and know what to look for in order to see and appreciate them. For example, I know it's spring not because the snow is melting or the bare trees are coming back to life, but because of the heady scent of citrus blossoms in the air. 

Politically it's a purple state, meaning there's a mix of registered voters in the two main parties, but the area you choose is going to lean a particular way. Some areas are ethnically and racially diverse, some not at all. Cultural events and major sports are limited to a few larger cities, but many small towns try to add some culture. High school and college football is not as big as in Texas, but is still a big thing for some. The smaller towns and cities are not religiously diverse. Christian churches are everywhere, but non-Christian are mostly limited to larger areas. Atheists, agnostics, Muslims, and even sometimes Pagans have to remain closeted in many places unless they want to be harassed. 

I love it here but it's not for everyone.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 2

We love living in FL. Our area has a ton of homeschoolers and SAHMs. We are in Lake County (central FL). Weather is hot obviously but that's what pools are for! I'm one who prefers hot to cold.

Edited by UCF612
  • Like 1

There is a great deal of variation in different areas in FL. We're in west central FL, Citrus county. It is a fairly rural county, especially where I live, but it is about an hour from 3 major cities with tons to do. I rather wish we had settled closer to a good beach, but otherwise we are pretty happy here. Homeschooling is easy, the weather is nice if you don't mind heat, and much of the state is absolutely beautiful. 

• Like 1

We lived in St Petersburg for 28 years, homeschooling the last 10 years, before a job/life change in 2015 caused us to move near family in the Midwest. As PP stated, homeschooling is easy in Florida. Lots of open co-ops and extra- curricular activities that are easy to join. Good county homeschool group, PPEA, that meets monthly. (That group is clickish, but if you go to the meetings you can find other co-ops and moms that are open to new members. YMMV)

BUT, the weather is oppressive 10+ months out of the year. I am not a hot weather person, and while I miss my LIFE in Florida, I do not miss Florida AT. ALL.! The congestion, traffic with snow birds and tourists, heat, humidity, bugs, bugs, bugs, heat, humidity..... Yeah, I don't miss it.

Depending on where you are coming from you will need to be aware of the high cost of homeowners insurance. Our policy went from $500 in 1998 to over $2600 in 2015, with most of the increases in the last 11 years. Taxes are low, but car insurance is high depending again on where you're coming from. Also, real estate is on the rise again in St Pete/Pinellas county and it might be else where in the state, so housing may not be as affordable as you think. Salaries tend to be lower than other parts of the country if you are entry level or without a degree or education.

Having said all that, there are jobs, lots of things to do, and wonderful friendly people. I have said many times after I moved that I wish I could take my LIFE (friends, jobs, church, homeschool community) and plop it here in the good ole Midwest.Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€° I would have the best of both worlds!

We lived in FL for 7 years and loved it. Loved the people, the lakes, the COL, the beaches. Yes, the weather is hot, but if you can get a house with a pool, even the weather won't be the worst. We lived in the Clermont/Oakland/Winter Garden area, which is lovely. The 2 things that increased our enjoyment of FL exponentially were building a pool and owning a boat. I was sad to leave.

• Like 1

I will simply echo what others have already pointed out.

Florida is a big state. Climate and culture vary from region to region; the panhandle and southern coast are wildly different! Do your research and some reconnaissance.

Get some rate quotes for homeowners' insurance. Depending on where you live, it can be pricey. It's typically the biggest surprise expense in this otherwise fairly low COL state.

Also, don't move before you have a job. That can work for freewheeling singles, but not when you have a family to support!

So much has already been covered, to me the few points above are critical to decision making.

• Like 2

I've lived in Florida on and off for 25+ years.  Three main cities/area where I've lived are Lake Mary/Orlando, Jacksonville, and Bonita Springs/Naples.  Others have spoken about the Orlando area, only other thing I'd add is that there are two good small Liberal Arts schools in that area.... Stetson and Rollins.  Florida is one of the few states which has a prepaid college tuition plan which is nice.  You can do 2+2 (community college + university) or all university. 

I'd caution you regarding Naples (SWFL) as "season" is really it's own strange phenomenon.  That's when the wealthy (usually) snowbirds come down....between October and April.  The population triples and traffic gets horrible. A lot of businesses depend on "season" to stay afloat.  So they make all of their money in that short time period.

I've lived in Florida on and off for 25+ years.  Three main cities/area where I've lived are Lake Mary/Orlando, Jacksonville, and Bonita Springs/Naples.  Others have spoken about the Orlando area, only other thing I'd add is that there are two good small Liberal Arts schools in that area.... Stetson and Rollins.  Florida is one of the few states which has a prepaid college tuition plan which is nice.  You can do 2+2 (community college + university) or all university. 

I'd caution you regarding Naples (SWFL) as "season" is really it's own strange phenomenon.  That's when the wealthy (usually) snowbirds come down....between October and April.  The population triples and traffic gets horrible. A lot of businesses depend on "season" to stay afloat.  So they make all of their money in that short time period.

We had season in Palm Beach County too. A HUGE number of residents are part time there, Snowbirds from New York mostly. Traffic easily doubles. But....now that I live in Orlando I'd trade our traffic for snowbird traffic ANY day. Snowbirds clog up the roads by driving slowly and carefully. Idiots in Orlando drive like maniacs. We have the highest pedestrian fatality rate in the country, to give you an idea. It's BAD. My husband grew up here and literally did not know that it is illegal to change lanes in an intersection because EVERYONE does it. Drives me insane. 

Trust me, I long for "season" traffic back home in Palm Beach Gardens. Slow, but safe. 

• Like 1

I will add that most of my friends in Orlando area are atheists or agnostics, with a few pagans. But that's balanced by a lot of baptists. In Palm Beach County I had a lot of Jewish friends, with the big influx from New York there is a sizable Jewish population. Very few funamentalists, more middle of the road mainstream Christian and Catholic. 

We had season in Palm Beach County too. A HUGE number of residents are part time there, Snowbirds from New York mostly. Traffic easily doubles. But....now that I live in Orlando I'd trade our traffic for snowbird traffic ANY day. Snowbirds clog up the roads by driving slowly and carefully. Idiots in Orlando drive like maniacs. We have the highest pedestrian fatality rate in the country, to give you an idea. It's BAD. My husband grew up here and literally did not know that it is illegal to change lanes in an intersection because EVERYONE does it. Drives me insane.

Trust me, I long for "season" traffic back home in Palm Beach Gardens. Slow, but safe.

I'm convinced the lines on non-toll roads in metro Orlando are like thestrals. Not everyone can see them. Certainly many people pay no attention to them!

We have lived in FL twice, the first for a year or so, the second for four years. Neither my husband nor I are native Floridians, and never felt "at home" there. However, we only lived in one area (Tampa Bay Area), so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Pros:

-Very homeschool friendly- you send in a letter of intent and have a teacher look over a portfolio or you can enroll in an umbrella school (the latter being far easier/less oversight...we used a free one and just had to submit attendance every quarter.)

-Beautiful beaches!

-Lots of outdoorsy things to do- camping, kayaking, boating, hiking, etc.

-You live where the rest of the country (and much of the world) vacations! Theme parks, beach towns, and so on. Lots of fun day or weekend trips.

Cons-

-Some areas are not very family friendly. We lived in an area where seniors were the main demographic, by far. I thought it would be like having a bunch of grandparents around (and some were), but a lot of them didn't seem to appreciate kids being around. And it wasn't just my kids....I heard the same things from friends. Lots of rude comments in grocery stores or churches, neighbors who complained about kids riding their bikes on the sidewalk. Nothing major, but it wasn't pleasant. I think it was even more magnified because we have 4 kids and homeschool.

-Homeschooling isn't too common, so lots of ignorant comments. No big deal, in the grand scheme of things, but it just gets exhausting to hear, "What about socialization?!" all the time.

-Schools were not great. Even in the "good" areas.

-High cost of living, crappy job market, lower incomes compared to similar COL areas around the country.

-During tourist and snow bird season, traffic is terrible. And frankly, it can be scary. Lots of seniors shouldn't be driving, but they do anyways. Yikes. Lol

-Certain areas have very high crime rates, lots of drug use, lots of poverty, lots of gangs. We lived in a nice area, but all of that was still next door.

-No seasons, it's hot and humid all year, and it rains a lot.

-While having the beaches, attractions and everything else near by is nice, it isn't all it's cracked up to be. We thought we'd just head to the beach all the time, but even though it was only several miles away, it still took 30-45 minutes to get there because of traffic and congestion. And packing up for the beach is a pain, as is cleaning up when you get home. We found it was a fun "once in a while" thing, but too much of hassle to go more than once a month or so...if that. Disney is ridiculously expensive, and being that COL is high and wages are low, it wasn't feasible for us (or most people we knew) to go more than once every year or two.

Okay, so that was a novel but I wish someone had said it to me before we moved out there. It could just be the area we lived in- I have family in other areas, and they seem to like it- but we were so happy to leave. And several of the families we were friends with out there have either left, or are actively trying to leave the area.

I grew up in FL and although I miss the beach now and then, I do not miss the heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, and lizards, in addition to many other creatures too numerous to document. I love living where there are no fleas or mosquitoes. For a nice mix of 4 seasons, try Virginia.

I do want to balance out the post about how long it takes to get to the beach in Tampa, to say that when I lived in Palm Beach Gardens it was 10 minutes to the beach, NEVER any traffic. That's where us high school kids hung out on weekend nights :)  My crowd played football if there was enough moonlight, hung out, talked etc but some groups did sneak beer there at night. 

When I was working there I would sometimes take a longer lunch break (allowed by my boss) and drive there to run on the beach, dunk in the ocean quick, shower off and come back. I'd eat at my desk then. It was a great way to spend your lunch hour :)

Now I'm homesick. 

My inlaws live in Florida, in the panhandle.  It's basically south Atlanta.  :) 

We do not visit from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  It's miserably hot, and it's not fun to be outside.  I think my inlaws basically stay inside for 3 months.  However, April/May and September/October are glorious and wonderful in that part of the state.  The beaches are gorgeous. 

We lived in Florida for a couple years and I can't recommend it for long term.  There are just too many people, everywhere. I didn't mind the heat/humidity but we lived about 1/2 mile from the Gulf(good breezes). The only time we ventured into the "interior" was in the winter months.  Bugs.  I feel like I must have soaked up a gallon of OFF!, the Palmetto bugs (aka Giant Roaches) gave me nightmares but I loved the lizards (until they sneaked in the house and died).  LOVED the beaches and the warm weather.  That almost made up for it all.

I live in the panhandle, near the turquoise water.  Seriously gorgeous.

We've been wearing shorts for weeks.  This morning, I have the windows open, and since I'm too cheap to run the AC to remove humidity, my bare feet are sticking to the floor with every step.  The bugs are really big, and I hate bugs.  I like pretty much everything else.  :)

I live in the Panhandle now but have also lived in Clearwater and grew up in Orlando. DH was in the military for 12 years so we've also lived in Alaska and Oregon.

I like lots of things about living in FL, especially in the panhandle. We live very close to the beach and it's so nice to take a quick trip over on a whim (our beaches aren't crowded). Here in the panhandle the weather gets cold in the winter (yes, it's relative, my blood is thin again!) and I get sick of it and long for summer. Then summer comes and I long for the cold winters, LOL!

Florida is very diverse in its culture as others have mentioned. Where I live is very much like living in the South and I enjoy that.

Whereabouts were you thinking of moving? Knowing that would be helpful with advice.

• Like 1

I'm a native...there aren't many of us  :)

I'm native too.   I grew up in Orlando, went to college in Tampa, lived for 6 years in Jax, and have lived the past 15 years back in Tampa.

The weather is hot and humid from April through November, but honestly, if you live within 30 minutes of the coast, it's COOLER than most of the southern U.S. at the hottest point of the summer.  Our temps run 90-95 degrees and almost never get any hotter than that, while cities like Tallahassee, Atlanta, and Dallas are over 100.   Our air quality is much better than cities further inland because we have a sea breeze every day.

-While having the beaches, attractions and everything else near by is nice, it isn't all it's cracked up to be. We thought we'd just head to the beach all the time, but even though it was only several miles away, it still took 30-45 minutes to get there because of traffic and congestion. And packing up for the beach is a pain, as is cleaning up when you get home. We found it was a fun "once in a while" thing, but too much of hassle to go more than once a month or so...if that. Disney is ridiculously expensive, and being that COL is high and wages are low, it wasn't feasible for us (or most people we knew) to go more than once every year or two. 

We almost never go to the same beaches that tourists frequent.  Knowing where the "locals" go is strategic, especially during busy times like spring break.   There's no way I'd go to Clearwater Beach if I can help it between President's Day and Easter.   We can do a beach trip in the mornings and leave at lunchtime, when the tourists are just rolling out of bed and showing up, without too much traffic.   

Whenever you narrow down the area to which you may move, make sure you check the hurricane evacuation zone, flood zone, flood insurance requirements, hurricane deductibles, sinkhole history, and sinkhole insurance requirements BEFORE buying a home.  Insurance is very expensive here, and sometimes you might pay a bit more for a house a few miles away, but be in a completely different requirement for flood/sinkhole insurance and evacuation zone.   

Some of the things I really love about Tampa:

-Professional sports year-round - football, baseball, hockey, soccer

-30 minutes to the beach.  No more than 5 minutes from some kind of water anywhere you go.

-Nearly every house has a swimming pool, or a community pool in the neighborhood.   Swimming at your own house is SO easy compared to packing up and driving to a pool.   My kids swim almost every day from February/March through November/December.

-SUNSHINE.   I know I would suffer from SAD if I had to live in a dark climate.   Florida is called the "sunshine state" for good reason.

-Cultural opportunities - concerts, Broadway plays, symphony, fairs, zoo, aquarium all within close distance.

-Lots of churches of varying sizes in every different denomination.

-The weather is consistent and winters are wonderful.   My kids live in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops almost year-round.   They only wear long pants or jeans when absolutely necessary.   A light jacket and closed-toe shoes are all the winter wardrobe they need.   

-Theme parks - Busch Gardens and Adventure Island (seasonal water park) are local.   We are 1 hour from Disney and Universal.   We aren't huge Disney people, but my friends who love Disney get annual passes and go only when crowds are lightest.

-Very homeschool-friendly.   We live within 15 minutes of a dozen different co-ops of every type, flavor, and religious preference.   We have hundreds of homeschoolers in just our (large Baptist) church.   We left a co-op last year of about 80 kids, mostly middle school and younger, and joined a new co-op this year with 150 kids, half of which are 6th-12th grade.  We have great options to outsource middle and high school level classes through co-ops, and good community colleges for dual enrollment.   Homeschoolers pay no tuition (but do have to pay for books) for DE classes.

What I don't like about Tampa:

-Traffic is really bad, especially during rush hours.   Roads are always under construction.   No public transportation.

-There are lots of bugs.   You have to be proactive and get your house treated, and be prepared to deal with mosquitoes.   We have insect repellent in the car so we always have it close.   You will have to deal with cockroaches here, at least a few times per year.   Don't let them get the upper hand.

-Pollen can be really bad for allergy sufferers.   Our oaks are blooming right now and we're all miserable.   Once we get past the next few weeks, it should calm down a lot, but there's always something blooming here.

• Like 1

Tagging along to this thread - are any of you from, or have any of you lived, in the Ft. Lauderdale area?? If so, I have some questions I would dearly love to ask someone!!!

I grew up in the suburbs of Ft. Lauderdale but I haven't lived there for 6 years. After high school I lived there intermittently. Ask away :)

Tagging along to this thread - are any of you from, or have any of you lived, in the Ft. Lauderdale area?? If so, I have some questions I would dearly love to ask someone!!!

Born in Ft lauderdale, grew up in the area for 28 years, moved out in 1998, but my family still lives down there. What do you want to know?

I hate it. I miss seasons, the humidity gives me Hermione hair unless I use five different products, it is too darn hot to do anything with kids outside most of the time, the bugs are huge, hurricanes are scary, and Disney is close but technically too far away because of money.

My husband is from Florida. We spend too much time there. I would never live in Florida for all these reasons. Except for Disney, I absolutly hate Florida. My kids dislike it as well.

I'm outside of Tampa.  We've been here almost a year and I still love EVERYTHING about it. 

Of course, our last transfer took us to rural Minnesota.  I love living in a VERY active area.  If you are bored, you aren't looking hard enough. I haven't worn long sleeves since I left MN.  I only wear closed toed shoes for the theme parks and gym.  

We frequent theme parks, water parks, museums, swimming pools, animal exhibits (aquariums, zoos, etc.) and beaches.  Year round.  We go to theme parks when everyone else is in school or work. 

I could outsource EVERYTHING here.  I choose not to. 

Traffic can be bad but we made it a priority to keep DH's commute within a certain range.  To do this, you need to decide your normal traffic times and be mindful of which side of the city work is compared to your living accommodations.  

NEVER BEEN HAPPIER!  

I loved Richmond, VA after our 5 years there, and we just turned away the opportunity to go back. 

The only con is that I've only found ONE Mexican restaurant I liked.  

Edited by GAPeachie