Menu

Help Me Plan Third Grade for DS

We just completed annual testing for the first time for DS7 (second grade). We went with the Woodcock Johnson because DD14 had done that for her special needs and I had found the info useful. I didn't warn the tester ahead of time that DS was an accelerated learner at all....so the poor woman seemed shocked, lol! It was interesting to have an outside perspective on DS for the first time. We've always just accepted him as normal for our family but the fact is he's clearly way above even my husband and I. He's been complaining of boredom and I feel terrible that I haven't been challenging him as much as he needs. 

So, he tested at 7.5 grade for reading, 6.7 grade for comprehension, and 11th grade for spelling. We've done nothing but OPGTR and then let him read a bunch of stuff and do read alouds daily. No spelling curriculum ever. He started Wordly Wise 4th grade level this year and has done Voyages in English 1 and 2. 

In math, he tested at 4th grade for calculation and 5.7 grade for applied problems. He's finishing up Singapore 3B this year, which he does pretty much independently and flies through. 

In General Academics he scored 5th grade. We've done Life Science so far and he reads science books for fun. We've only done Geography and some light US History. He reads widely so his literature exposure is high but we've done very little art and music appreciation. 

I'm trying to plan for next year as I got these testing results and I'm flummoxed now. The tester said he easily could have gone higher in math but just hadn't been exposed to them. Ie: it wasn't an ability problem, just a "what we've covered" problem. So I want to expose him to higher math concepts but I also don't want any gaps in his math by grade-skipping. Any math supplements you recommend that don't break the bank?

For Language Arts, I'm thinking Voyages in English, while great, is pricey considering how easy it is for him. But what else should I do for grammar that includes diagramming and such? I talked to him about maybe entering some spelling bees for fun and to play off his strength there and give him motivation to study advanced spelling like root words and suffixes. He definitely needs more writing practice, but hates anything that requires creativity....so what writing programs would you recommend? Would WWE be a good choice for him? 

For Science we've been using Real Science Odyssey and he likes it so I'm thinking of moving on to RSO Earth and Space but maybe I should supplement with nonfiction books too?

For History DD14 really needs more US History and I'd like to have DS7 go along with us for that, but maybe he should do something else instead? 

Yet again I find myself overwhelmed by my child! And I have 4 other kids to teach, including one with special needs so I need to come up with an academically challenging and interesting plan that is also simple to execute for me. Thankfully DS7 is extremely independent and self-motivated as long as I chase him back inside periodically ;) (he runs outside to play between every single subject, lol!)

For math, what about Beast Academy?  Would he like something like that?  

If keeping him in the same history as your DD14 works better for you, then definitely I would do that but if he wants to rabbit trail, help him find resources for doing so.  Maybe set him up with some great book series he can read in his spare time to supplement.  He has plenty of time to learn all kinds of history and there are a lot of cool things he could learn about U.S. history that actually tie in with World History, if he has any interest in World History.

For math, what about Beast Academy?  Would he like something like that?  

If keeping him in the same history as your DD14 works better for you, then definitely I would do that but if he wants to rabbit trail, help him find resources for doing so.  Maybe set him up with some great book series he can read in his spare time to supplement.  He has plenty of time to learn all kinds of history and there are a lot of cool things he could learn about U.S. history that actually tie in with World History, if he has any interest in World History.

You know, somehow I had not seen Beast Academy before! I'd looked at AoPS before and was keeping it in the back of my mind for middle/high school but I hadn't seen the elementary books. 

Does Beast Academy cover all the basic money topics too or would I want to supplement with that? Because it looks extremely appealing and like the type of thing he'd thrive on. He has loved Singapore but even Singapore seems almost too easy for him. He doesn't need as much practice as it contains. I've added Challenging Word Problems this year but those seem to add more bulk vs challenge to our homeschool day. 

• Like 1

I don't recall BA as having a section on money (it's more of a pre-3rd grade topic, right?); I just taught it straight up without curriculum.  It is not a complicated set of concepts :)

Actually, money is a forever topic IMHO.  :) Not just recognition of money or simple addition/subtraction of money but money management, investment, etc.

OP, I don't remember BA covering money, but you can supplement with maybe the Dave Ramsey material for children.  Also the game Cashflow might help.  And the Charlotte Mason Small Business curriculum is really cool.

http://www.christianbook.com/dave-ramseys-financial-peace-junior/9781937077853/pd/579199?dv=c&en=google&event=SHOP&kw=family-0-20%7C579199&p=1179710&gclid=CjwKEAiAmY-3BRDh7pjvg46p1iYSJADQ78gNOU7jeC3JbjeSnDLUsvF6JWOz9sC8aKNvS2LYjs47aBoCHwrw_wcB

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-CASHFLOW-for-Kids/dp/B00B8DOJLO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457817332&sr=8-2&keywords=cashflow+game+by+rich+dad

https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/your-business-math/

• Like 1

There are like 9 problems specifically about money in BA 3C, but it's stuff like, "Grogg has 10 coins worth a total of 32 cents.  How many nickles does he have?"  There are some money problems sprinkled into other sections too, but they are conceptually focused on another topic (e.g. multiplication or division).  My kids get an allowance and are expected to pay for certain necessities (like toothpaste) and so get regular practice actually using money.

There's not really any review in BA, though the program does build on itself so that you see topics again, but in new and more challenging ways.  My kiddo who despises drill and doesn't need much practice has been loving BA.  It's definitely a less-bulk-more-challenge kind of program!

I have a 2nd grader working (mostly) above grade level as well, but I'm probably not going to be of much help for other subjects.  We all do history and science as a group right now (SOTW and recently switched Mystery Science which is perfect for us).  IMO, at this age it's pretty easy to just go deeper in those subjects with videos, library books, museum trips, etc to prevent boredom.  DS#1 is dysgraphic so I'm still trying to find something appropriate for him for writing.  We've been dong WWE, so far, but hit a wall with dictations and so aren't doing those anymore.  Level 2 is listening to or reading passages of text and then narrating, working on summarizing mostly, plus copywork and dictations.  I haven't seen level 3 yet, but I think it's longer passages for summarizing and more, presumably more difficult, dictations.  Nothing creative going on there, lol, but if your kiddo enjoys writing it may become tedious for him.

For money, you really don't need a curriculum, and it can be learned better without IMHO. Last year at one point, I took out my grocery budget in cash, with a variety of bills and coins. We went over what everything was worth, then I had dd pay for things for me and make change for the week. Pretty simple.

For Science we've been using Real Science Odyssey and he likes it so I'm thinking of moving on to RSO Earth and Space but maybe I should supplement with nonfiction books too?

Definitely you will want to supplement if you are talking about their level 1 Earth and Space, yes. My DS is nowhere near your DS's ability level, just had an ongoing interest in the topic, and we wound up doing a lot more with library books, NASA websites, etc., than from the text (which was out of date and not all that detailed, as well as missing a couple of topics that IMO should've been included, such as tectonic plates/volcanoes/earthquakes).

Have you looked at the BFSU books? They might better lend themselves to going into depth on topics of interest while still giving you a framework to start from.