Menu

7th Grade Math - for the second time

I will try to make this short and hopefully not too complicated.  My youngest son repeated 6th grade on paper (for various reasons - mostly age and maturity), but he went on with many of the 7th grade curricula - including Math via Teaching Textbooks.  For the upcoming school year, he will be (on paper) a 7th grader, and I would like to spend this year making sure he has the basics down in math.  He is not the best in this subject, but he does okay.  I just don't want to move him in to pre-algebra until I know he is ready.  What I am looking for is a suggestion for this "review" of the basics.  He loves the computer based teaching and whatever we use does need to be something he can do relatively independently.  

If he is shaky on math I would consider stepping him back and making sure he is solid on fractions, decimals, percents, etc.  Even if he loves computer based learning, he might benefit from a program like the Key to...series to review those concepts.  He could pair it with Khan Academy or CTC math.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=key+to+fractions+book+1-4&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=66052097210&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3935439770653249548&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_x82nf7nu8_b

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/ctc-math/?c=1

Lial's Basic College Math (BCM) is an overview of all the basic arithmetic one needs to be successful in higher math. He could easily test out of the sections he's firm on and spend more time on the areas he struggles with. There are a ton of problems; only doing odds or evens would be plenty, and then you could use the other half for more practice if needed. To complete the book in a year you would spend an average of two days on each lesson. We generally paced it to do the teaching portion of the lesson with the sample problems and about a third of the exercises on the first day. Then we completed the exercises on the second day.

Sturdy math students could go from there to algebra 1 (Introductory Algebra if you stick with Lial). Kids who aren't so sturdy and need more preparation ought to use Lial's prealgebra book first, which also reviews all the basic arithmetic one needs to be successful in higher math, but throws exponents, negatives, and such in from the beginning and covers the beginning of alg 1 throughout the book.

Caveat: Very easily distractible kids may not do well with the format of the Lial books. The lesson pages can seem busy.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

I am a huge fan of IXL.  Whenever my kids need a refresher, extra help or spiral review an older topic, I assign a 'medal'. There are 301 topics in 8th-grade math so you can surgically target the specific skill to work on or assign the whole category.  They have an endless number of problems and for every incorrect answer, they display the solution for review. The problem difficulty increases with each correct answer and rewards 100% with a 'prize' reveal and emailed certificates.  I would not use it for first time teaching - use a textbook or Khan, but excellent for ready to go electronic worksheets. You can work any 20 problems a day for free and then subscribe via Homeschool Buyers Co Op for a discounted rate.