Menu

Mathplanning: how long takes these texts to finish?

Once in a year I got math anxiety :)
This year I'm worried about 'finishing in time'.

So I wondered how long it takes to cover AoPS Intro to Algebra and / or LoF Trigonometry.

In your answer I want to know, how much time you devoted to math per week, what was included ( using other material outside the book) what was skipped (challenge problems, chapters).
And how many months you needed.

Is LoF Trig a whole year or a semester book? (Or even less?)

As dd is in the language track, she will have 3-4 hours math per week during grade 11/12.
We won't have time for 6+ hours math per week.

Thanks for answering!

ETA: tags

• Like 1

We are 3/4th finished with AoPS Intro to Algebra. Our journey involves online classes in addition to the book and therefore extra homework assignments and alcumus, which is also required by the class. Plus we had some significant family related disruptions. It will take us 12 months to get through the book cover to cover not skipping anything at all other than about 5 challenging problems in chapter 7. DS works at least 1.5 hours a day and often much more. Yesterday he worked for 2.5 hours and solved three starred problems in the challenging sections. So on days when we are dealing with challenging sections, more than 2 hours can be a typical work load. He is in 5th grade though, so his age might contribute to him being slow. 

I don't know anything about LOF. 

I just realized this was posted in the high school forum (clicked on new content), so you might want to disregard our answer. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

I'm still thankfull for your reply!

Dd just finished chapter 6 of Intro to Algebra and she is very unpredictable about the amount of math she covers.

We do no challenging problems though, and I hope that that will be our solution to cover the required math topics on time.

• Like 1

AoPS Intro to Algebra varies widely, depending on the student's stamina. My DD powered through the entire book in one school year plus summer. My DS stretched it over almost two years (he was 12 when he started and his math stamina limited; no way could he have focused for the 2-3 hours sessions DD put in)

I did not schedule math; the problems and sections vary greatly in difficulty and I found it impossible to predict what takes how long

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I've had 3 finish AoPS Intro to Algebra at this point.  Our policy was always that they did all non-challenge exercises and problems, but star/challenge problems were optional (I used the challenge problems as review, later, to keep their skills fresh - so for example they did the Algebra challenge problems, a few per week, while doing Geometry).

Mine worked on it about 1.5 to 2 hours a day, and finished in between 9 months (for mathy kid) to 1.5 years.  Note that we school year round.

I have one kid who did LoF Trig, and handled it easily in one semester.  We found it a great 'warm up' for AoPS PreCalc, and she loves Fred, but I would not have considered LoF Trig a full credit on it's own.

• Like 1

As dd is in the language track, she will have 3-4 hours math per week during grade 11/12.

We won't have time for 6+ hours math per week

AoPS intro to algebra will take longer than a year even if you skip all the challenge problems and do only the book at 3-4hrs per week.

What math exam will she be sitting for to apply for college where you are? I did the cambrige exams and it was 1.5hr lecture, 1.5hr tutorial and homework time varies per math subject for 11/12 grade. So 3-4 hrs per week of math is doable since more time is wasted in school, just not feasible with the aops book.

• Like 1

AoPS intro to algebra will take longer than a year even if you skip all the challenge problems and do only the book at 3-4hrs per week.

What math exam will she be sitting for to apply for college where you are? I did the cambrige exams and it was 1.5hr lecture, 1.5hr tutorial and homework time varies per math subject for 11/12 grade. So 3-4 hrs per week of math is doable since more time is wasted in school, just not feasible with the aops book.

I hope to be finished with AoPS intro to A at the end of grade 10 . She will have 4-5 hours math per week during grade 9 & 10.

Then I plan grade 11 for trig and statistics, and switch to the 3-4 h/w mode.

Then I will have whole grade 12 for exam prep, taking the exam (and if she fails hiring a tutor and retake the exam).

The current math exam in the language track covers functions and statistics.

This is a college bound track.

I've had 3 finish AoPS Intro to Algebra at this point. Our policy was always that they did all non-challenge exercises and problems, but star/challenge problems were optional (I used the challenge problems as review, later, to keep their skills fresh - so for example they did the Algebra challenge problems, a few per week, while doing Geometry).

Mine worked on it about 1.5 to 2 hours a day, and finished in between 9 months (for mathy kid) to 1.5 years. Note that we school year round.

I have one kid who did LoF Trig, and handled it easily in one semester. We found it a great 'warm up' for AoPS PreCalc, and she loves Fred, but I would not have considered LoF Trig a full credit on it's own.

Thank you!

We don't have a credit system here.

We work with exit exams, and she 'just' have to pass the exams.

I hope to be finished with AoPS intro to A at the end of grade 10 . She will have 4-5 hours math per week during grade 9 & 10.

Then I plan grade 11 for trig and statistics, and switch to the 3-4 h/w mode..

AoPS intro to A spread over 9th and 10th would work. I would still skip the challenge problems unless she wants to do them for fun.

3-4hrs per week for trig and stats in 11th would be doable. Have you look at the MEP GCE 'A' trig and stats pdfs? Those might be enough for your country's requirements.

Functions is well covered in the aops book. For my "slower in computation speed" kid, keys to series was useful to ramp up speed for factorising quadratics over the summer break.

ETA:

I'm assuming the exit exams are time based for the above comments. For stats, familiarity with whatever approved scientific calculator is needed for the time crunch. I didn't need a graphing calculator for my stats exam but my kids would need for theirs.

Edited by Arcadia

AoPS intro to A spread over 9th and 10th would work. I would still skip the challenge problems unless she wants to do them for fun.

3-4hrs per week for trig and stats in 11th would be doable. Have you look at the MEP GCE 'A' trig and stats pdfs? Those might be enough for your country's requirements.

Functions is well covered in the aops book. For my "slower in computation speed" kid, keys to series was useful to ramp up speed for factorising quadratics over the summer break.

ETA:

I'm assuming the exit exams are time based for the above comments. For stats, familiarity with whatever approved scientific calculator is needed for the time crunch. I didn't need a graphing calculator for my stats exam but my kids would need for theirs.

'Heel erg bedankt!!' ( Many thanks?)

A graphic calculator is required indeed, we bought one but still have to figure out how it works.

Dd does not make any challenge problems, indeed.

Factorizing quadratics was part of the grade 8 exam, but I will keep this in mind!

I spend (part of) this day checking MEP but I think I was in a different section...

Thank you for all the help,

All of you!

It is very appreciated...

My daughter is currently doing AoPS Intro to Algebra. It will take her two full years. She isn't that fast and isn't exceptionally strong in math. She does all the problems and Alcumus. She also watches the videos. She works for 1 to 1.5 hours per day. Sometimes I wonder if she should be in a different program, but she likes it and doesn't want to switch. After she finishes the first thirteen chapters sometime this summer, we will start Geometry. She will either review the Algebra I information or slowly work through the rest of the AoPS book concurrently with the Geometry.

• Like 1

My daughter is currently doing AoPS Intro to Algebra. It will take her two full years. She isn't that fast and isn't exceptionally strong in math. She does all the problems and Alcumus. She also watches the videos. She works for 1 to 1.5 hours per day. Sometimes I wonder if she should be in a different program, but she likes it and doesn't want to switch. After she finishes the first thirteen chapters sometime this summer, we will start Geometry. She will either review the Algebra I information or slowly work through the rest of the AoPS book concurrently with the Geometry.

Belgium has 'integrated math' all way through.

So for grade 7/8 we used AoPS Pre Algebra and 'Understanding Geometry' from Critical Thinking Company, a nice combo that worked for us ( and dd passed :) )

• Like 2

AoPS Intro to Algebra varies widely, depending on the student's stamina. My DD powered through the entire book in one school year plus summer. My DS stretched it over almost two years (he was 12 when he started and his math stamina limited; no way could he have focused for the 2-3 hours sessions DD put in)

I did not schedule math; the problems and sections vary greatly in difficulty and I found it impossible to predict what takes how long

Hi Regentrude,

Can you clarify this for me? I really am trying to understand the demands of the AoPS curriculum. Our other discussion last week left me thinking you spent under an hour on math in the early years of high school and only increased that as your DD moved into maybe college level math (Calculus?). I'm realizing that was just an impression though; I do not believe that you specifically stated what you did, and I am not trying to put words into your mouth. 

Are you saying your DD worked for 2-3 hours a day on math for a 12-month stint in order to make it through the AoPS Intro to A text? If not, can you offer me some idea of what she spent on average per week maybe? 

I really am sincerely asking. I want to understand the demands of the text for students who are prepared for it.

Thank you,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ
  • Like 2