Menu

Trim Healthy Mama

Moxie

My understanding is that it's basically a low carb diet with numerous tricks employed to allow for frequent enjoyment of treats, which consist of lots of bizarre concoctions involving whey isolate powder type things and alternative sweetners.

It is way too complicated for me. I too do much better with straight low carb but plenty of people do it and like it.

• Like 3

I follow the plan and enjoy it very much. At the moment, I use only S meals because I'm battling a yeast infection. But I keep it simple, use regular ingredients 80% of the time, and feel great! For E meals, I just remember to use lean meats with complex carbs and it works pretty well.

It can be overwhelming at first, but taking small steps helps a lot. I've been doing it for about 2.5 years.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did it for a year, lost a good amount of weight, but eventually I burned out. It's easy (in theory) - always eat protein and either pair it with high fat or (moderately) high carbs, not both. Also, no eating closer than 3 hours apart when switching fuels or you'll crossover. They do recommend odd ingredients, but they aren't required, just separate fat and carbs (there is a whole foods THM group on FB). I helped several people get into the plan. Some got it, some didn't, but the ones who did lost the weight they wanted.

• Like 2

I have a friend who has been at it a year or so now. She lost quite a bit of weight initially and seems to feel like it works well for her. She is still  significantly overweight though and I'm not sure she has continued to lose.

I considered it, decided it really wasn't a good plan for me and moved on. I didn't like all the rules. I also felt like it was a plan looking for an easy way out or a cheat. I can eat anything, as long as I do it in the right combinations. For me, that just isn't true. 

When I see recipes my friend posts they are full of artificial sweeteners and frankenfoods. I'm more a whole foods kind of gal. 

That said, not fitting me doesn't mean it doesn't fit you. Check the book out from the library and give it a read.

• Like 1

Our homeschool coop has been going nuts over this program.  I will say that several of the girls have lost a significant amount of weight and say they feel better than ever.  I have the books but have to find the time to figure out the plan and how I can convince my family it is a good idea.  They freak out at new foods.  There is a lot of stevia used along with erythritol and xylitol. Be careful with xylitol as it is very poisonous to dogs. I don't know if I could sustain this program long term with a family to feed.  By myself I would probably do alright with it.

As a midwife I see a lot of women go on this diet.  The first year they generally get good results than after the first year many end up in adrenaline fatigue. Personally I don't think people on this diet are not getting enough good carbs. Also, women generally end up with bigger birth weight babies. 

• Like 2

Keep it simple stupid is the only thing that works for me. I've lost 16 lbs basically just low carb except for legumes which I need for iron, some occasional brown rice, and some potatoes. Otherwise heavy on the veggies with good proteins like eggs and fish. Any more complicated than that, and I'll give up because life is just too nutty right now to manage too many more details.

• Like 1

I follow the plan and enjoy it very much. At the moment, I use only S meals because I'm battling a yeast infection. But I keep it simple, use regular ingredients 80% of the time, and feel great! For E meals, I just remember to use lean meats with complex carbs and it works pretty well.

It can be overwhelming at first, but taking small steps helps a lot. I've been doing it for about 2.5 years.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I read about it here several years ago and joined their Facebook group.  I eventually ordered the book and then when their two new books were released I ordered them also.  

I have/had been low carb for many years to control diabetes so I decided to give the plan a try.  I have now ate the THM way for several years my blood sugar is under control.  I definitely lost weight and inches but since I was already a healthy weight and size I can't say how much but I have a flat stomach again after 4 children & 1 csection.

I bypass all of the religious stuff with them/their followers but the lifestyle has worked for me.  I use  a lot of "weird" ingredients but I did on low carb also because I am a foodie at heart and like to eat and experiment.  My entire family likes everything I make from their newest cookbook.

It does seem overwhelming and I admit I read their FB and owned the first book for well over year before eating their way because it just seemed so confusing.  But once I picked up the book and  actually read it instead of just skimming it I got it immediately with no problems.

The main issue I have with THM is I have to sometimes dig past the groupies/cult like following on FB to get to the good stuff like new recipes.

• Like 1

I gave the books and did it for a while.  No weight loss.

I wanted so badly to like the "treats" they touted.  They were gross.  Almond flour is gritty.  I couldn't stand the texture.  I tried coconut flour and their "chocolate" made with coconut oil.  All I tasted was coconut.  Yuck!  I wanted to taste chocolate.

That said, a friend is on it right now.  It is hard to stick to.  She has lost 10 pounds but isn't losing more at the moment.

It is very rigid, and although the woman who wrote the book say it is "total freedom" I found it quite restrictive.

Eat every 3 hours, make sure it is an S meal or an E meal, etc....

• Like 1

I wanted to try it, but I can't personally support Above Rubies that they are connected with.

This. I was mildly interested because so many people around me are doing it. Then I found out about this and nope.

From all the discussions I've heard about it, it seems complicated and people are having to completely change the way they cook for their family and their family is frequently not on board. So they are having to cook for their family, and then cook something little for themselves as well.

• Like 1

I do THM and I absolutely love it! I tried low-carb for a long time, but I just couldn't stick with it. I think my body needed more carbs. Now, I eat both low carb meals and meals with slow-burning carbs, like sprouted bread, sweet potato, brown rice, fruit, etc. Works perfectly for me!

• Like 3

Agreeing here about not loving the affiliation with Above Rubies. I have a friend who completely went off the rails after going to their conferences. I have never seen cult mentality more at work, and that says a lot!! It was not pretty. 😡

I tried thm. I do understand the eating. It is really not as complicated as it seems. That said, I never really was able to make it work for me. I'm finding that I feel better at the moment doing whole30 with the modification of stevia in my coffee. Haha

I have the THM cookbook and I do really like it!! I use it even not being on their plan. There are several whole food type recipes in there. Big Mac salad has become my children's most requested meal! That and the Reuben in a bowl and egg roll in a bowl.

Edited by Texas T
  • Like 3

Agreeing here about not loving the affiliation with Above Rubies. I have a friend who completely went off the rails after going to their conferences. I have never seen cult mentality more at work, and that says a lot!! It was not pretty. 😡

I tried thm. I do understand the eating. It is really not as complicated as it seems. That said, I never really was able to make it work for me. I'm finding that I feel better at the moment doing whole30 with the modification of stevia in my coffee. Haha

I have the THM cookbook and I do really like it!! I use it even not being on their plan. There are several whole food type recipes in there. Big Mac salad has become my children's most requested meal! That and the Reuben in a bowl and egg roll in a bowl.

Is that Big Mac type ingredients in a bowl (onions, lettuce, pickle, hamburger patty, cheese) with Big Mac sauce all over it? 

• Like 1

Is that Big Mac type ingredients in a bowl (onions, lettuce, pickle, hamburger patty, cheese) with Big Mac sauce all over it?

Yes. There is a low-sugar version of thousand island: basically mayo, mustard, low-sugar ketchup, and dill relish. The recipe just calls for ground beef seasoned with worstershire, salt and pepper,; lettuce. onions, pickles, tomatoes, cheese. It is surprisingly good!! You can google the recipe. My 6yo picky eater asked for it for his birthday meal. Haha

• Like 2

Yes and there is a similar recipe on Linda's Low Carb site in her salad section.  It is really yummy.  Linda's site has several recipes like Whopper in a Bowl, Big Mac in a Bowl etc.

• Like 1

Yes, this is my main issue.  Wouldn't give them a dime because of that.  This is eye opening, BTW. 

In regards to the article that you linked, I'm not going to debate the issue, but I do know that there are two sides to every story. If you take a look at the video below, you will see that although the Allison family admits that they're not perfect parents and made mistakes, they do have a wonderful relationship with their now grown children that they adopted as teenagers. The children featured in the MJ article say that there was NEVER any abuse and this article makes them angry and sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQxXwD8elaY

I appreciate that the Allison family took the time to respond to that article. Since we are hearing the words from the (now adult) children themselves, I can't help but to believe what they say.

• Like 1

Yes, this is my main issue.  Wouldn't give them a dime because of that.  This is eye opening, BTW. 

Wow.  i had no idea.  I knew from the FB pages and the books there were adopted children but not about the situations.

As I stated in my earlier post there is a crazy cult-like following on the FB pages.  I do like the recipes that are posted by the many members but the religious stuff is not my cup of tea.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the article, Umsami! Here is one of the ways special needs kids help you grow--I used to be able to gloss over advice about "a few licks" as something I wouldn't do but a valid parenting choice. No more! Spanking a child with "issues" is so detrimental that it will destroy a parent/child relationship.

• Like 3

I learned a lot of helpful weight loss tips from the program. I lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks(most of that in the first 3 weeks) and kept it off for months until I stopped the program. I didn't follow it to a T though. I do a whole foods version - I don't use artificial sweeteners but honey, maple sugar or syrup and coconut sugar and I don't use any weird processed ingredients like collagen, whey protein powder etc. It can be done with regular foods too. And it's not too complicated. Pick you protein then decide if you'll have veggies with it or high fat stuff. That's really the most important part of it and if that's all you know, that's enough. There are tons of THM-like recipes online adapted to a whole foods lifestyle so that makes it easier too.

Edited by Indian summer
  • Like 1

I have never looked into the adoption stories and haven't read the full article. Regardless of negative situations, I am still a big proponent of international and local adoption! Actually, the issue I viewed my friend having had more to do with legalism than anything. I have read articles about them in the past and things do not set well with me in regards to their teachings.

In regards to the article that you linked, I'm not going to debate the issue, but I do know that there are two sides to every story. If you take a look at the video below, you will see that although the Allison family admits that they're not perfect parents and made mistakes, they do have a wonderful relationship with their now grown children that they adopted as teenagers. The children featured in the MJ article say that there was NEVER any abuse and this article makes them angry and sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQxXwD8elaY

I appreciate that the Allison family took the time to respond to that article. Since we are hearing the words from the (now adult) children themselves, I can't help but to believe what they say.

Interesting that it's posted on a THM account....so obviously this is causing issues.  They already discredit themselves by calling "Mother Jones" an anti-Christian magazine.  :001_rolleyes:   Watching it, it sounds like the kids are now saying that they were "naughty" and needed to have consequences.  So basically they're apologizing for their parents' abuse.

According to the original article, they originally adopted four children from Liberia....then an additional two, Kula and Alfred.  There are only three kids in that video, and only two speak.   So 2/6 are willing to kind of defend their parents...but basically say that they were naughty and needed to have consequences. 

They do not address: "The oldest girl eventually ran away, and the boy was sent back to his homeland where he lived on scraps and caught malaria before friends of the Allisons rescued him again." 

• Like 1

I have a lot of family & friends who swear by THM. Many of them have been doing it for years and have lost a lot of weight and kept it off. No one went from obese to fit, but several went from obese to nominally overweight. (IMO that's healthy... if they're still overweight at their current calories intake and exercise levels then that just seems to be where their balance point is.) That being said, I couldn't stomach the book. The idea that this diet was "biblically based" was such a turn-off for me that I couldn't even entertain the idea of following it. I've had more success going straight low-carb than my family & friends have on THM, and I didn't have to put up with someone trying to convince me that God wants me to alternate carbs and fats.

• Like 1

I have been off and on of ThM (mostly off) since summer 2013. My daughter and I have committed to trying it again this week. I know it works. I lose weight and feel fantastic every time. I do find it hard to keep up while feeding a family although I know it doesn't have to be.

I'm trying again as I feel I have no choice. They point out in the book that if you eat the healthy food you feed your kids, you will gain weight as they are growing and you shouldn't be ;). That has been my story. We eat very healthy and yet I have gained weight like crazy over the years.

I had my thyroid and hormones corrected 6 months ago as well as being out on metformin for insulin. My appetite tanked and I have been eating way less (but still the same foods and carbs/fats together) and I haven't lost anything in 6 months. I've lost 8 lbs on THM in just a short time(little over a week) and I'm not starving and never feeling full like I was with weight watchers.

THM helps you lose weight by making you eat less through a variety of rules:

1) When you can eat (3 hour window between meals)

2) What you can eat (no sugar - use substitutes)

3) What combo of foods you can eat (if having fat, very little carbs, if eating carbs, very little fat)

I don't like "fool yourself" type diets, which is what I see THM as. When I was on the Facebook group, there were constantly messages about ways to make all sorts of desserts with allowed foods (substitute sweeteners like stevia, flour substitutes like almond flour or coconut flour, etc). 

I think (3) is pretty powerful, though, because carb+fat makes one want to eat more. Hamburgers without ketchup or buns are just not that enticing. Quiche without crust is just scrambled eggs. Though they don't sell it this way, I think this is what makes it work for people. 

ETA: I am fairly happy with my weight and have found a way that works for me to control my weight. I just look around for lunch ideas because I'm never very happy with what I eat for lunch. I hate eating kid food at it seems that lunch always ends up being kid food like PBJ or something else non-satisfying. 

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1

THM helps you lose weight by making you eat less through a variety of rules:

1) When you can eat (3 hour window between meals)

2) What you can eat (no sugar - use substitutes)

3) What combo of foods you can eat (if having fat, very little carbs, if eating carbs, very little fat)

I don't like "fool yourself" type diets, which is what I see THM as. When I was on the Facebook group, there were constantly messages about ways to make all sorts of desserts with allowed foods (substitute sweeteners like stevia, flour substitutes like almond flour or coconut flour, etc).

I think (3) is pretty powerful, though, because carb+fat makes one want to eat more. Hamburgers without ketchup or buns are just not that enticing. Quiche without crust is just scrambled eggs. Though they don't sell it this way, I think this is what makes it work for people.

Emily

I guess that is probably true but man it is a TOTALLY different experience than counting calories or points. No need to feel like you are going to die from starvation. If you need to eat you eat. I never feel like I am dieting except that I do have to not eat certain things like sugar and pasta. And I know I eat way more calories than my fitness pal allows and still lose weight very easily. I think there is something to the concept of separating fuels that does something different to your body. We do know that calories are not created equal. Being able to lose while not feeling like I could eat my own arm (weight watchers) is very freeing.

As far as the odd ingredients and alternative sweeteners (they are not any more artificial than processed sugar. Really they aren't) you certainly don't have to use them but it does make it more fun to get to have certain things that otherwise would be off limits.

If you (General you) have a plan that allows to be be active and at a normal weight for you height and you can live with forever then great! But if not, it is at least worth looking in to.

I wish I could just eat "normal" food like is everywhere and just eat less of it. But that doesn't work for me. and it really doesn't work for the majority of Americans. I told my daughter when she was learning about things she should eat anymore or at least not frequently, to remember the definition of insanity. If we keep eating the same foods in the same combinations we will continue to be overweight. Anyone who has weight issues has to make changes. and all changes are hard in some way. So is being overweight. So pick your hard. ;)

• Like 3

My daughter lost 4 pounds in one month of giving up all treats but otherwise not changing her eating. She has been on THM with me for one week and lost 5 lbs! She's very excited as she actually gets to EAT. It is hard to turn all the gobs of treats offered her everywhere she goes but she has practice with that from last month so she actually doesn't mind too much. And she knows we have healthy treats at home she can have. She's also relieved to have learned this so she doesn't feel like she has to starve to lose weight. (And yes I'm watching her closely for healthy habits and attitudes. She did have some weight to lose though. She just got diagnosed in Dec with hypothyroidism and had gained some weight. She's happy to see it go!)

My understanding is that it's basically a low carb diet with numerous tricks employed to allow for frequent enjoyment of treats, which consist of lots of bizarre concoctions involving whey isolate powder type things and alternative sweetners.

It is way too complicated for me. I too do much better with straight low carb but plenty of people do it and like it.

Oh, I wouldn't call it "low carb," since it allows sweet potatoes and bread and spaghetti. I also don't agree that it employs "numerous tricks" or that there are "bizarre concoctions." Goodness. Have you read the book?  I have.