Menu

If you had 2 Days in New York city...

AlmiraGulch

What would you do?

It's really more like 1.5 days, because we get in early on a Friday morning to La Guardia, have to go to Brooklyn where we're staying to drop our stuff, and then subway back into Manhattan, which will obviously kill some time.  Then we'll have a full day there on Saturday. 

I've been to NY about a million times, but always for work so I haven't done much touristy stuff in years.  My kids have never been.  My husband has been a few times but has no preference on what we do.  

Kids are 19, 13, and 12.

I have an initial itinerary, but what would you do?

We split up the last time we were there for a short visit.  I did historical walking tours in lower Manhattan while dh and the boys went to the Lego store and Top of the Rock.  I love history, they love buildings so it worked out nicely.  We all went to the Natural History Museum together and on the Staten Island Ferry.

• Like 2

Well, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Natural History are out two all time favorites. But, it would be hard to do both in a single day so I would suggest opting for one and then going to the top of the Empire State Building and seeing the view in the evening. As far as Ellis Island, it is getting harder and harder to do that without planning a long time in advance and getting tickets way ahead. The lines are long, the boats crowded and especially in good weather, or at least that has been our experience with weekends. Weekdays are a lot easier.

If you are willing to endure something really emotional, the 911 memorial is very moving. It was important to us to see because I lost two college professors that were very near and dear to me in one of the planes, but again, it is not a lighthearted visit either.

• Like 2

The city that never sleeps. You've got as much time as you have energy. ;) The Met has something for everyone. You don't have to see everything. A couple of hours is enough for some people to digest.Take a walk in Central Park after the museum and grab a taxi or bus down 5th ave when you are done.  A play is always great. Take the ferry to Staten Island and see Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty from the water. Wandering and eating in China Town is another favorite of ours.

• Like 1

Great suggestions!

So we will be doing the 911 memorial and museum, for sure.  It's something we all want to do.

We were trying to decide which tall building we wanted to go up in, and then decided not to go up in any.  I would hate it (extreme fear of heights) and the kids really aren't into it, so we decided not to spend the money.

Central Park is a must-do for two of the three kids, if the weather treats us right.  If not (or, even if it does) we're considering the Museum of Natural History.  I'm not all that interested in going, surprisingly, but everyone else is.  

I need to figure out the right things to do as far as location.  Meaning, I don't want to plan 3 things on a day that are not near each other.  I don't want to go back and forth too much.

Please keep the suggestions coming!  I'm already altering the draft itinerary based on some of your recommendations.

Edited by AlmiraGulch

Go to the Metropolitan museum of art and also visit Ellis island (with the tour of the old hospital if your kids are old enough and you have the time to book months in advance). Also, watch a Broadway show if you live in a small town like we do. The moma and the cloisters and the tenement museum are very interesting, but skipable with so little time.

• Like 1

I should mention that we're leaving from Manhattan on a cruise the next day, so we'll probably skip the Statue of Liberty because it takes quite a bit of the day, and we'll sail by it as we depart.  Same for the boat/harbor tours.  We'll get to see the skyline from the ship as we leave.

I'm leaning away from a show because we get great shows in Atlanta, and again....time, and money.  

I love the idea of picking neighborhoods and walking around to see what we can see.  That's a great idea.

Eat! Go to all the different neighborhoods & eat. Little Italy, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, street vendors, etc....

:laugh:

Eat?  You're going to tell me to "eat" my way through NYC, when you know how much I hate food?!?   :lol:

(I can barely even type that with a straight face)

Eat?  You're going to tell me to "eat" my way through NYC, when you know how much I hate food?!?   :lol:

(I can barely even type that with a straight face)

I mean, really, who cares about all the sights? They're kind of secondary, imo. ;)

It's about the food!!!

• Like 1

Pick one thing that is a priority and then anything else is extra. Something like the 911 memorial can easily take all day, or a large part of a day.  So, if that is the one thing you all agree on, plan for that one thing and then prioritize other things. The half day might be best spend at Central Park or just walking around. 

Don't underestimate time spend in lines or getting places. And that time traveling to brooklyn with stuff etc will take more time than you thought imaginable, lol.

• Like 2