Menu

Yet another FA question-housing

teachermom2834

We will call the school directly but I thought I would see what others have found and maybe someone else can benefit from the info.

My ds got a FA award letter with scholarships, grants, and loans of about $35000 which leaves us with a reasonable but still painful direct cost.  The direct cost used the most expensive dorm option to estimate need.  There is a dorm option that is only half that.  If ds chooses the cheaper dorm option will they reduce his grant aid because he has less need or is this a way to bring that cost down some? It makes a big difference in our costs but not if they just reduce his aid, which is how these things seem to go.

Any experience with this?

Bargain, tell them you can't make it work unless they leave the aide as is and factor in the lower housing. Actually I would ask for more money and after they give you something then discuss the housing. The worst of private schools is that usually the tuition goes up every year but the financial aide does not. So factor in a couple thousand a year more every year for 3 years. Good luck!

I have not seen the choice of cheaper housing reduce the financial aid amount. Keep in mind, however, especially with a cost differential that high, that it may be difficult to get a bunk in the cheaper housing.  Freshmen usually get last dibs.

update: ds called the school and they said that the cheaper dorm choice would not impact his grant aid.  That is good news.  So a reminder to dig into that financial aid offer.  It was an OK offer but if he can get in the cheaper dorm it is a good offer.  I am sure it is the oldest dorm and it has a common hall bathroom instead of suite style. But, in our house going away to college at a private school is already a luxury, even if you are in the dumpiest dorm :)

I told him with unknown roommates the hall bathroom is not terrible.  When someone comes home drunk and gets sick in the bathroom he will be glad it isn't in his room.  Or when someone's girlfriend stays over and takes over the suite bathroom.  There are possible upsides to the common hall bathroom :)

• Like 1