Menu

HSLDA Alert re: HR 2343

I can not believe some of the truly insensitive comments on this thread. It makes me sad that my child has to grow up in such a world full of prejudice and ignorance.

Before you insult our honest opinions, maybe you could explain why you believe that teaching parenting is the province of the government. If there are people that need and appreciate such a service, that is fine. However, I believe that it is long past time for the government to tighten its belt and transfer more responsibility to individuals. If this makes you sad that your child has to grow up in a world with me, then I am sorry. It is merely my honest opinion.

That's what I think too when i see people defend the "right" to kill another human on demand for reasons other than medical issues or crime victim status.

I guess sadness abounds.

Now back up the bus here- I *not* defending. I am saying that if we want to reduce abortions, making them illegal is going to do diddly. The reasons women have them in the first place need to be addressed. I don't know a single woman- no matter how pro-choice- who views a woman having an abortion as anything but a failure, a sad one at that. Somewhere along the way, something has gone very off track to turn to that choice.

Now, if you just want to feel better, and say "well hey, we respect the unborn with our laws, so everythings a-ok now", then we can make it illegal and not address any of the causes. And you won't save anything or anyone, but I guess we'll FEEL better.

and I guess I should clarify that I'm not for reducing abortions, I'm for recognizing Basic Human Rights to the unborn developing human.

All righty then. We can recognize all day long, but they will keep happening unless we can create a climate where women have the resources to raise that child, not kill it. Thats what it boils down too, and we can talk about whose responsibility it is and whatnot forever, but that won't address what is actually happening.

Wow, I really got off topic. In my timed-out-three-times original reply way back there, I also addressed HSLDA, but darned if I can remember what I wrote. **Please let this not time out and disappear...again!***

What's there to figure out? Many people don't like the fearmongering, the infantilization of homeschooling parents ("pay us money to fight the big bad wolf for you" rather than encourage them to know their own laws and be proactive), the backroom deals that do not include the grassroots organizations who have been at work in their states and sometimes end up with more onerous laws than were previously on the books, the "speaking for homeschoolers" when they do not specify that they represent only a small portion of homeschoolers, the representation of themselves as legal insurance when they don't take a majority of cases challenging homeschooling rights (domestic court issues), the mixing of causes.

When we had an issue in IL about registering vaccinations (which was going to be a de-facto homeschooler registration law), we had plenty of grassroots activism to fight this. At the hearing, there were tons of homeschoolers prepared to testify. A rep from HDSLA flew in and somehow arranged it that he would be the only allowed person allowed to testify on behalf of the homeschoolers and he did a poor job at that. The bill passed out of committee and we had a ton of work to do to undo the harm that HSLDA did. I knew of many homeschoolers in our area who canceled their HSLDA membership after that fiasco.

I certainly don't like the fact that they take credit for making homeschooling legal and keeping it that way when it is really the activism of the residents of each state that makes this happen. The legal process shouldn't be about backroom deals, but about involvement of constituents contacting their representatives, building relationships, educating them on the issues, etc. This is how a democratic republic is supposed to work.

I think the home visits are good idea, for those that want them.

IMO, many women get pregnant/have children without planning it, reading up on it, etc. They could use some help sometimes on things on nutrition, stimulating play, what is normal vs not, etc.

I suppose abortion is also a choice for them, thus reducing the need for funding any programs to help them. Somehow, I doubt those opposed to this are for that choice.

Time to put our money where our mouths are ladies- if we want to reduce abortions, we must address the reasons women have them. Making them illegal (having lived in a country where it is illegal, I feel I am qualified to say this) will not lower the rate one iota- it will just make it more dangerous and introduce an unsavory criminal element.

Its nice and all to say "keep your legs shut", (and so tasteful, too, thanks!) but completely unrealistic.

And my particular vitriol with HSLDA comes from their habit of speaking for all homeschoolers. They usually do *not* speak for me. If they kept it to hs'ing, fine. But they have become a conservative political lobby, working for causes with absolutely nothing to do with hs'ing. It is annoying in the extreme that they are the "face" of hs'ing.

...Nothing needed to add just another voice to clearly state that HLSDA has nothing to do with my reason for hsing nor do they speak for me ever in any way shape , fashion or form.

Wow I missed a fun disscussion today. This thread has a lot of interesting tangents, and I think the OP's point was lost. I have been a member of HSLDA for 9 years, and I appreciate them daily. I responed to their alert right after I received it, because I do not think the government has any business involving itself in the lives of families. Not to mention the money that could be better spent.

I also don't understand the violent opposition to HSLDA. Of course, they are not the only ones working for our freedom, but they do so much. My husband, who is an atheist, is happy to write the check every month, and we live in a very low regulation state. Those "backroom deals" as someone called them are a benefit in my book. There have been many here in Idaho and they keep one of the best laws in the nation on our books. Freedom is not free people. We must be constatantly ready to defend ourselves.

On the point of the home visits. I cannot agree with The Academy of Jedi Arts in any way. This is an intrusive and wasteful program. There are many ways to find help and get questions answered. In fact there is so much "help" at most hospitals that someone I know just quietly stayed home and had her 4th child, just to avoid the intrusiveness.

I believe that we should always help those less fortunate than ourselves. However, I often get frustrated because government programs are often available to those who are making less money than we do. People can live on much less than the government believes. People have to be responsible for themselves. For instance, although this is a charity not a governmental program, I recently received a phone call asking for money to help underpriviliaged children buy new school clothes. I found this annoying. Our children wear clothes from yard sales and thrift stores and always look fine. I rarly buy new anything, because we have a very limited budget. I feel the same way about food stamps. My friend gets enough in food stamps each month to feed my (larger) family for 2 months. Why should the government be responsible for feeding people. That is our responsibility.

The proper role of govenment, especially the federal government is to provide for our defense, regulate interstate commerce, etc. The federal government should not be in the habit of micromanageing the population using our tax money. People must learn to support themselves.

Also, Dawn does not seem insensitive to me at all. Like most conservatives she probably is just frustrated that we are once again being asked to support others with our tax money. We used to be a country made up of self-supporting, responsible people who took care of themselves and their families. Now we are quickly becoming a nation of lazy people who expect the government to take care of them.

That opinion is not but the way it was expressed was very insensitive and prejudicial.

And please stop assuming what I think or believe about the abortion issue. That is also very ignorant and prejudicial.

You can always clarify your stance if you are concerned that I'm assuming something --

i said:

That's what I think too when i see people defend the "right" to kill another human on demand for reasons other than medical issues or crime victim status.

I wasn't necessarily addressing that statement to *you* personally --it's a commonly held position: people like Obama and NARAL defend the "right" to an abortion on demand --killing a human--, regardless of ANY [if any] reason given.

are you saying that you do NOT defend a woman's right to have an abortion for whatever reason she wants?

That you are ONLY going to defend the right to an abortion if the reasons are life of the mother and/or crime victim status? i certainly don't want to assume what your position is [and I'm pretty sure most others don't either], so clarification can help further a discussion.

I guess sadness abounds.

Now back up the bus here- I *not* defending. I am saying that if we want to reduce abortions, making them illegal is going to do diddly. The reasons women have them in the first place need to be addressed. I don't know a single woman- no matter how pro-choice- who views a woman having an abortion as anything but a failure, a sad one at that. Somewhere along the way, something has gone very off track to turn to that choice.

Now, if you just want to feel better, and say "well hey, we respect the unborn with our laws, so everythings a-ok now", then we can make it illegal and not address any of the causes. And you won't save anything or anyone, but I guess we'll FEEL better.

and I guess I should clarify that I'm not for reducing abortions, I'm for recognizing Basic Human Rights to the unborn developing human.

All righty then. We can recognize all day long, but they will keep happening unless we can create a climate where women have the resources to raise that child, not kill it. Thats what it boils down too, and we can talk about whose responsibility it is and whatnot forever, but that won't address what is actually happening.

as i mentioned to Jedi, that statement was NOT directed at any one person. If you feel it doesn't characterize your own personal stance, then I think it is great in a discussion to make sure we akll understand exactly what each other is advocating --and what they are NOT advocating.

...then we can make it illegal and not address any of the causes.

I absolutely agree that other issues need to be addressed. I don't see one being mutually exclusive of the other. In fact, I've seen many ladies working and calling for LOTS of other issues to help women in tough situations- even expressed here in this thread, no?

I'm sure lots of women who have abortions feel deep sadness, failure, and despair. I have yet to hear an argument that how one human feels should determine whether another human is allowed to live.

We had the same hard roads w/ slavery and women's rights --making something legally recognized is STILL a HUGE step in the process, but it is certainly not the only one.

I don't call for the legal step so I can "feel" better, but because it is the ethical thing to do if one is serious about HUMAN rights. having the force of law behind a Right is pretty important --even NARAL knows that ;)