Menu

Decorating challenge

Danestress

I have a new office at work. It's a good move for me, but the office is small (11 x10.5) and windowless. I get some natural light from the hall right outside the door. The walls are neutral/tan, but to me there is an orange tone to it. The carpet is ugly dark flecked stuff - dark brownish?

With the best of intentions, my boss bought me new office furniture. This is what he bought http://www.havertys.com/furniture/avondale-hvt3009-office. It is vastly too big for the space I have. I had to turn the desk to face a wall in order to have file cabinets. He spent a lot of money on it and I appreciate his intentions, so I want to like my office.

I need to add light - possibly the kind of light that mimics sunlight?

I need a chair for visitors and probably will want a plant that can survive with low light. I was thinking about an area rug.

But I can't figure out how to add color. A lot of the colorful desk assessories look so modern for the furniture. I just don't know what would work. Red? I want a more cheerful, energizing office. If anyone loves a challenge, I would love help!

I would go with a soft green color like this  for a base color (solid color pillow on the chair or maybe wall paint if they will let you) and then add floral artwork to complement the seasons.  

The green will play nicely with the tan, brown, and orange and it adds a light feel to the room. 

I would use  and desk lamp and if you have floor space, I would add a floor lamp for light layering. It reduces the need for bright overhead lighting but adds in much needed warmth. You will still want over head lighting for an office, but if you have alternate  task specific light sources you can sometimes use a dimmer bulb above.

Turquoise/teal? Yellow?

If you like red, maybe these softer tones in this rug: http://www.overstock.com/#/8475267/product.html

The desk reminds me of Pottery Barn. They don't have anything bright, but PBTeen has some bright desk accessories that don't scream teen. West Elm?

Target has surprisingly cute furniture and accessories. This chair in a solid lighter color with a bright lumbar pillow? http://m.target.com/p/threshold-modified-wingback-chair/-/A-16987371

• Like 1

Not sure who your clientele is, but I would be nervous about layering a rug over a carpet due to risk of tripping.  

I would look at big poster-sized artwork.  A brightly colored world map would look really nice with that furniture.  Maybe this one or try doing an etsy search.  

There are also lots of vintage posters to be found and those are really cool and usually bright.  

Not sure who your clientele is, but I would be nervous about layering a rug over a carpet due to risk of tripping.

I would look at big poster-sized artwork. A brightly colored world map would look really nice with that furniture. Maybe this one or try doing an etsy search.

There are also lots of vintage posters to be found and those are really cool and usually bright.

I don't have clients in my office that often. We have a conference room. Mostly it's me and my bosses or a coworker. But I am not sure a carpet is necessary anyway - I thought it might just lighten the space.