Menu

How to gain a few pounds but not too many

jenn-

I need to gain 5 or so pounds, but fear that once the scale goes up, it will keep going up.  Any suggestions on how to put on a few pounds and just stabilizing? I am dairy free vegetarian.

I wonder how likely that is?  When I was younger in university I was in about the same place, partly do to a somewhat restricted diet and partly due to stress.  Since then I've gone to a more normal weight though typically I lose when I am stressed.  I've not tended to balloon up more though, just from easting a more reasonable diet more regularly.

That, I would say, is probably key.  A dairy free vegetarian diet can be hard to get enough fat and protein unless you are really shoveling back the food, especially if you are active.  If by nature you are not a big eater, it is a real challenge - dairy and meat really are dense foods.  I would look at finding a way to incorporate more fat and protein on a regular basis, I don't think that will make you keep gaining.

Trying something temporarily will not, I suspect, help, you'll just gain and lose again.  I suppose you could try a supplement, but personally I don't think that is a healthy way to eat.  If your diet isn't adequate, you need to adjust it.

For example, I give my son equal parts raw almond butter and coconut oil mixed together (sometimes with some honey) with banana or apple slices. It's high calorie without a lot volume.

Maybe you could try to increase your intake of healthy fats. Do you like avocados and such?

I can always eat a snack or meal even when I'm not very hungry :( so I have to ask, can you simply eat more? 

I came in to say weight lifting too.  

But do you feel you are underweight because you are not getting enough calories (is your metabolism slow, do you feel low energy, etc) or because you feel you would look better a few pounds heavier?  

If it's the first, I'd add in a dense snack, if it's the latter, weight training.

• Like 1

Do more heavy lifting and strength training?  Muscle is more weight than fat, and can be put on without messing around with diet too much.

This might actually be a good point as to why my scale has dropped recently. I've been injured in some form or fashion since Sept and I have had to cut back on my taekwondo.  I had been going 3-4 times a week and now I am down to twice, and I can't push as hard as I used too (hence the injuries).  I might have to look into substituting those other days for some strength training at home.  On the flip side of that though, the more I workout the less I want to eat.

I wonder how likely that is?  When I was younger in university I was in about the same place, partly do to a somewhat restricted diet and partly due to stress.  Since then I've gone to a more normal weight though typically I lose when I am stressed.  I've not tended to balloon up more though, just from easting a more reasonable diet more regularly.

That, I would say, is probably key.  A dairy free vegetarian diet can be hard to get enough fat and protein unless you are really shoveling back the food, especially if you are active.  If by nature you are not a big eater, it is a real challenge - dairy and meat really are dense foods.  I would look at finding a way to incorporate more fat and protein on a regular basis, I don't think that will make you keep gaining.

Trying something temporarily will not, I suspect, help, you'll just gain and lose again.  I suppose you could try a supplement, but personally I don't think that is a healthy way to eat.  If your diet isn't adequate, you need to adjust it.

I am currently yo-yoing.  I gain a few, I lose a few.  Most recently I was up 10lbs, but have lost 13.  I am not a big eater and tend to have to force myself to eat at times.  Add to the fact I am trying to restrict my folic acid intake, and most processed bread foods are off the table (thank you enriched flour :glare: ).  I have found a local brand of bread that doesn't use enriched flour, so sandwiches are going to be easier now.

Add a small snack of nuts daily then cut it back or out once at your goal weight.  Nutritious and yummy.

I need to get back into my evening snack of nuts.  That might help.

For example, I give my son equal parts raw almond butter and coconut oil mixed together (sometimes with some honey) with banana or apple slices. It's high calorie without a lot volume.

Maybe you could try to increase your intake of healthy fats. Do you like avocados and such?

I can always eat a snack or meal even when I'm not very hungry :( so I have to ask, can you simply eat more? 

I do like avocados and eat them when we have them in the house.  They can be pretty pricey unless I get them from Sam's/Costco and then it's 50/50 as to whether they have been abused and will bruise before I can eat the bag.  Eating more isn't easy when nothing is appealing.

Look at a site called Chocolate Covered Katie. She gained weight as a vegan eating whole foods and not "junk." Her body image story is on her blog.

I'll give the website a look when I have a few minutes.  Thank you for the suggestion.

I came in to say weight lifting too.  

But do you feel you are underweight because you are not getting enough calories (is your metabolism slow, do you feel low energy, etc) or because you feel you would look better a few pounds heavier?  

If it's the first, I'd add in a dense snack, if it's the latter, weight training.

I'd say it is both.  I'm not very energetic these days and I'm tired of people asking me if I've lost weight.  I'd happily see the scale move upwards if I was bulking up a little and not just filling out a little.  I will admit that I am starting to look a bit scrawny.