Menu

I need Latin help.

mazakaal

I'm using Latin Prep with my 12yo and Lively Latin with my 10yo. I like both programs, and it seems like they have lots of practice, but neither of my boys can do the exercises without looking back at charts of noun and verb endings. I've used flashcards and matching cards with them. They memorized the chants, but they can't quickly remember which ending to use without going through the whole chant. I feel like these endings are almost like multiplication tables. If they can't have them memorized well enough to quickly recall the ending they need, they get totally bogged down when trying to do an exercise and it takes them FOREVER and my 12yo usually has lots of endings wrong. I'm willing to put LP and LL on hold for a few weeks until they have these endings memorized, but I'm not really sure how to do it other than what we've been doing, which obviously isn't working. Any suggestions?

We mix it up with the flashcards a bit. Typically one day a week I'll pull out all the nouns and have DD give me (for example) the accusative singular and plural forms only of all the nouns. I use a similar exercise with the verbs, varying for tense and person. We do no other Latin work on those days.

I have the same problem. We use LL.

I'm floating two ideas in my head, neither of which I've tries--so if anyone want to comment on which may be more effective, I'm all ears.

1) Chant them every day at the beginning of the lesson.

2) Take a few days and decline all the nouns on our lists. (There's about 50). The only thing holding me back from this one is that it would be an awful lot of writing for the third grader.

Alana,

I was just perusing your blog and saw your Latin vocabulary bingo idea. I think that could really work for these noun/verb endings. Write the endings on the cards and call out their use (ie - 1st person singular present tense or 1st declension nominative singular). What do you think? How has the bingo game gone for them learning their vocabulary?

Megan

We mix it up with the flashcards a bit. Typically one day a week I'll pull out all the nouns and have DD give me (for example) the accusative singular and plural forms only of all the nouns. I use a similar exercise with the verbs, varying for tense and person. We do no other Latin work on those days.

This is a great idea. Thanks.