Menu

2016 decisions thread

FaithManor

We have been warned that getting into some general breadth courses is challenging because the popular classes get impacted. But as long as a student is open and flexible with which class to take to meet those requirements, it is doable. He might have to be willing to take the less popular classes, for example Celtic Studies.

A professor at the parent orientation for incoming students told us a cautionary tale: his daughter took a Celtic Studies class for her breadth requirement b/c the other ones were full; she loved it, & ended up majoring in Celtic Studies  :lol: . I think he said she works at a vegetarian restaurant in the midwest now and is very happy.

We went on that dark matter lab tour at Cal Day, too. And we also did the quantum nanoelectronics lab tour. Ds2 loved it! We had just bought him a Cal sweatshirt and t-shirt from the Cal store, then we saw the physics shirt that the physics students were selling that said Cal on the back in math equations, so we bought him that as well.

That would be great if ds could meet up with your son. He actually has a question regarding which math course he should start with for his first semester.

In fact I just met a physics-major friend of my son's last Sunday -- my son will live with him next year. Your son could get a range of answers ... I will PM you. :) My son had similar questions before he started. Some well-meaning professor-advisors at Cal Day urged him to take a lower math course than he qualified for (b/c they thought college would be a big-enough adjustment without taking on a challenge), so he did, but regrets it ... It would be good to talk with actual students!

the physics majors have a physics reading room, which is a study room just for physics students. It is a newly renovated space, very nice and bright, where they can collaborate on their problem sets. Only physics major have access to the space, so they can really get to know each other.

I peeked into this room on Cal Day (last year they were in the process of renovating it and you could poke around in the room) -- I love that Cal still has blackboards (instead of whiteboards).  This study room (so airy and bright!) and several other (smaller) study rooms were in use by earnest-looking physics majors while we were roaming around the physics building during Cal Day. It was with great difficulty that I restrained myself from taking pictures. :)

• Like 5

A professor at the parent orientation for incoming students told us a cautionary tale: his daughter took a Celtic Studies class for her breadth requirement b/c the other ones were full; she loved it, & ended up majoring in Celtic Studies :lol: . I think he said she works at a vegetarian restaurant in the midwest now and is very happy.

In fact I just met a physics-major friend of my son's last Sunday -- my son will live with him next year. Your son could get a range of answers ... I will PM you. :) My son had similar questions before he started. Some well-meaning professor-advisors at Cal Day urged him to take a lower math course than he qualified for (b/c they thought college would be a big-enough adjustment without taking on a challenge), so he did, but regrets it ... It would be good to talk with actual students!

I peeked into this room on Cal Day (last year they were in the process of renovating it and you could poke around in the room) -- I love that Cal still has blackboards (instead of whiteboards). This study room (so airy and bright!) and several other (smaller) study rooms were in use by earnest-looking physics majors while we were roaming around the physics building during Cal Day. It was with great difficulty that I restrained myself from taking pictures. :)

Personally, I would have loved taking Celtic Studies. I don't know why it's not popular.

I learned that the chalkboards in the physics reading room was requested by the undergraduate physics students. It's great that they got input from the students when they designed their renovation. And I love that the students are quirky enough to want chalkboards instead of whiteboards.

• Like 5

Hello everyone. Even though I just joined today, I wanted to share that my second son will be attending University of Maryland at College Park.

Major: He was undecided but is now considering business.

Reasons for choosing UMD: It was pretty easy, based solely on elimination. Of the four schools, he was accepted into, one was in a location that he was sure didn't want to go to (an overseas American college which he applied to at my request), one didn't have a good business department, and one was a little more expensive than we liked but doable if he really wanted to go there and study hard, maintaining a term and cumulative GPA of 3.0 for a hefty scholarship. The last college was risky because although he's a bright young man, he has gotten good grades on his natural smarts rather than studying. In addition, there were some other personal issues which I fear may still effect his studying in college and put the scholarship at risk. Without the scholarship, we'd be in trouble. But as I mentioned, if he had really wanted to go there, we would've supported him but he has not expressed that desire.

Despite the fact he had a choice of one, he's content with this school. We're happy that it's a good school  and we're almost sure it'll be a full ride for us with his scholarship and grants. (We're still waiting on one more grant.)

Edited by kiso1
  • Like 19

Oh my goodness, we finally have a decision!

College: Princeton University

Major:  Engineering; was originally thinking civil or environmental, but now is intrigued by electrical because of the heavy math component

Reason for choosing Princeton: Well, she cast a super wide net, and there was much uncertainty on many levels early in the process. I have to say that the whole application experience was incredibly educational for her though, and I watched her blossom as she wrote essays, completed interviews, and carried out much e mail correspondence. She was admitted to 17/19 of the places she applied, waitlisted at one, and rejected at one. The final two at the end were Georgia Tech with a full ride Stamps Scholarship and acceptance to the Grand Challenges program and Princeton (with an exceptionally generous need-based grant.) Princeton eventually won out for the smaller campus with a sense of better security and the strong engineering in a liberal arts environment. She really enjoyed her Princeton Preview accepted student experience, and found the people to be really kind and friendly. The campus is stunningly beautiful too, which is a bonus.

I want to add that this is my only kid who was homeschooled from the beginning, and all the way through high school. My youngest is in public middle school, with no intention to return to my classroom, and my oldest is in college, so this is the end of the homeschool line for me. Ack! :-)

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 40

Oh my goodness, we finally have a decision!

College: Princeton University

Major:  Engineering; was originally thinking civil or environmental, but now is intrigued by electrical because of the heavy math component

Reason for choosing Princeton: Well, she cast a super wide net, and there was much uncertainty on many levels early in the process. I have to say that the whole application experience was incredibly educational for her though, and I watched her blossom as she wrote essays, completed interviews, and carried out much e mail correspondence. She was admitted to 17/19 of the places she applied, waitlisted at one, and rejected at one. The final two at the end were Georgia Tech with a full ride Stamps Scholarship and acceptance to the Grand Challenges program and Princeton (with an exceptionally generous need-based grant.) Princeton eventually won out for the smaller campus with a sense of better security and the strong engineering in a liberal arts environment. She really enjoyed her Princeton Preview accepted student experience, and found the people to be really kind and friendly. The campus is stunningly beautiful too, which is a bonus.

I want to add that this is my only kid who was homeschooled from the beginning, and all the way through high school. My youngest is in public middle school, with no intention to return to my classroom, and my oldest is in college, so this is the end of the homeschool line for me. Ack! :-)

Our dds will be classmates! :)

My dd will be majoring in math.

Princeton has been her top choice for a long time -- two sibs went there and she has often gone to visit for the weekend. She loves the campus, the Christian community, the courses, everything. She applied early and got in and that was it -- this one was easy! :)

• Like 26

Well, after planning ahead, getting all of our acceptances in months ago, my daughter had a change of plan in the type of school she wanted to go to. So after a long, nail-biting wait to see if the school she wanted to attend would have space for her (they told us a month ago they really wanted her but had to wait to see about space) I can now announce they have accepted her and she will be going to the University of Mary Washington to study Biochemistry and Psychology. 

• Like 30

My DD has decided to go to Lawrence University. Art is her passion, but is also interested in French, anthropology, and other social sciences (psych, sociology, etc.)

She found the whole college application process exhausting and only finished applications to four colleges. She visited Lawrence back in September at the end of a long road trip and left with a feeling that 'that was better than I expected, we should have left more time to see things here.' But, it wasn't exactly love at first sight.

However, after thinking and overthinking her choices it came down to: (according to her): Lawrence was the school I had the best feeling about when the acceptance letter came.

She was wavering between Lawrence and the school she visited for Accepted Students Day. That school just felt too small, though she met a lot of really nice people that it was hard to say "no" to.

Edited by JanetC
  • Like 28

In my case, it is so obvious (I mean, I posted only 1 school in the acceptance thread), I was wondering whether is there a need for me to post it here as well. But maybe some people can benefit from it.

Yes, DC has comMITted.

Why MIT? (Mom's POV; DC's POV might be different)

1. Financially doable (THANKFUL!).

In case anyone is interested, MIT released this financial news back in Mar.

2. Research opportunity and additional source of $ from 1 guaranteed term of UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program) funding (THANKFUL again!).

3. Excellent possible majors/minors --  Chem, Math, CS, whatever.

4. DC knows some students there (current and incoming) from competitions.

5. Interesting cities (Cambridge, Boston, etc.).

6. Great weather + easy classes + grade inflation + can get all the credits from a boatload of APs & DEs ...just kidding!!!

7. Some other personal reasons.

Overall, I'm grateful we had a relatively short application season. 

When MIT Early Action was positive, the other partial applications (HYPS, etc.) were all abandoned :)   

Edited by JoanHomeEd
  • Like 28

My niece goes there! She loves it!

That's great! My daughter is really excited. She had chosen other schools and hadn't looked at UMW past just asking for info because it didn't have the specific major she was looking for. But when it came time to choose she realized she didn't really love anywhere she applied. She also decided to expand her major - choosing a broader Biochem major rather than the specific Forensic Science major which was what had limited her applications before. About that time UMW sent out an email to their mailing list saying 'its not too late'. So we did a quick application and then went for a visit. She knew that was where she wanted to go. It set up a very long month of waiting. I found out later that they send out that email every year but often they aren't able to take any late applicants. The Director of Admissions called us to say they really wanted her but it might be a bit longer before they knew if they could take her and then last night she called us personally to say it was a go. Huge exhale here. Deposit paid this morning. Yippee!!!

• Like 2

Princeton has been her top choice for a long time -- two sibs went there and she has often gone to visit for the weekend. She loves the campus, the Christian community, the courses, everything. 

Could you tell me more about the Christian community at Princeton? I've heard they have strong campus ministries, but would love to hear your kids' perspectives. You can pm me if you'd rather.

Muttichen, my daughter met with one Christian group during Preview and loved it. I can't recall the name, but she's already friended a couple of members on Facebook. I'm just so happy for her! I wonder if our daughters will meet in one of the groups! There are only two Alaskans going, and my daughter is one, so that will narrow it down ;-)

Heather, that is a nailbiter, indeed! Sounds like the right choice, just in time.

Janet, isn't it funny how sometimes it was one of the early contenders? It turned out that way for us too.

Joan, cannot go wrong with that school!

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 3

Could you tell me more about the Christian community at Princeton? I've heard they have strong campus ministries, but would love to hear your kids' perspectives. You can pm me if you'd rather.

There are three large groups which each has several hundred students involved in weekly Bible studies.

Princeton Evangelical Fellowship http://pef.mycpanel.princeton.edu/

Manna Christian Fellowship http://manna.princeton.edu/

Princeton Faith and Action http://www.princetonfaithandaction.org/

My daughter was involved with PEF and Manna; my son is involved with PFA.  They all seem to be active, vibrant groups.

Edited by Muttichen
  • Like 1

Grove City College

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Reason for choosing this major: She had planned to major in Neuroscience, but after she went to an engineering day at a big engineering company two weeks ago, she decided on Mechanical Engineering.  Her dad is an electrical engineer. She hoped to minor in French, but she only has one elective with this program.

Reason for choosing this school: They have a strong Mechanical Engineering program. Additionally, she really wanted to attend a Christian college. She likes the cross country coach and the program.  And she felt comfortable at this school.  She was not even considering this school last fall, but she did fill out the online athletic form, and the coach called her.  This peaked her interest in the school.  Then, everything else clicked.  Also, the cost of this school is relatively low.  .

• Like 17

This is for my other twin dd...  she's finally made up her mind... :)

University of Massachusetts Lowell

Major: Computer Science, possibly Robotics minor

Reason for choosing this major:  She was one of the lead programmers on the high school robotics team, which helped her appreciate the applications of programming.  And she's also got a really logical brain, so programming makes sense to her. Her dad is also an electrical engineer. :) 

Reason for choosing this school: They have a strong Computer Science program; they also have a Robotics lab and testing center that recently got a NASA robot that the students will be able to work on.  She got a good enough merit scholarship that she can graduate without debt, and she got an additional scholarship to do a research coop the summer after her freshman year.  There's also a professional coop program which she plans to take advantage of.  The school also seems to have a strong Honors College with a very energetic Dean who seems to really go out of his way to support and find opportunities for the Honors students.  

• Like 27

Ds18 has chosen to attend Saint Mary's University in Halifax in September.

Program:  Bachelor of Science.  He registered himself in courses in the Astrophysics section of the program, but is also curious about the Math section and the Computer Science section.  The Astrophysics section has courses related to all three.

Reason for choosing this program:  He loves math, physics, astronomy, and computer programming! 

Reason for choosing this school:  It's within commuting distance, so he can live at home for free and take on less debt.  It has the only astrophysics program in Atlantic Canada.  He likes the small campus atmosphere.  In the first year, he will attend weekly workshops of just thirty students in the science program - the workshops are for peer and professor mentoring, study help, and school/campus/program navigation, and the students will take the same science labs - instant friend-making opportunity with students of like interests.  Possible internship and study/work abroad opportunities in the later years.  Professors who seem to care about the students' success (at least in the science faculty).  HE GOT A GENEROUS SCHOLARSHIP.  He is waiting to hear about more scholarships he applied for there, too.

Edited by Colleen in NS
  • Like 23

My 18 yo son picked Wheaton College (IL).

Major:  English with a writing concentration.  (But also interested in philosophy, gender studies, possibly pre-med.)

Reasons for choosing this major:  Loves to write

Reason for choosing this school: It was between Wheaton and William and Mary.  Ultimately, it came down to how much he liked Wheaton when he visited, and its smaller size.  It seems like he'll have great opportunities to form relationships both with other students and professors there.  Both are great schools;  it was a very tough choice for him.

Edited by sandra in va
  • Like 20

I'm getting all misty-eyed reading these!  Congratulations everyone!  I know this day is coming all too soon for me, and then it will be like dominoes falling, first LEGOManiac, 2 years later, PonyGirl, 2 years later, PokeMan...3 years later Blondie...3 years later Boo!

• Like 1

My DS has decided to study at Indiana University Jacobs School of Music majoring in Piano Performance.

He's been playing/studying piano since he was four years old and is naturally gifted in this area.

He chose Indiana mainly because of a strong scholarship offer, the fine reputation of the Jacobs School of Music, and most importantly, the professor he will study with at Indiana.

• Like 20

Reason for choosing this major:  She was one of the lead programmers on the high school robotics team, which helped her appreciate the applications of programming.  And she's also got a really logical brain, so programming makes sense to her. Her dad is also an electrical engineer. :)

Reason for choosing this school: They have a strong Computer Science program; they also have a Robotics lab and testing center that recently got a NASA robot that the students will be able to work on.  She got a good enough merit scholarship that she can graduate without debt, and she got an additional scholarship to do a research coop the summer after her freshman year.  There's also a professional coop program which she plans to take advantage of.  The school also seems to have a strong Honors College with a very energetic Dean who seems to really go out of his way to support and find opportunities for the Honors students.  

That's the perfect place to go for CompSci and Robotics. When oldest dd worked in a U of M AI lab, their robot was created by UMass-Lowell folks and that's who trained them on its use. They have the coolest toys!

• Like 4

5. Interesting cities (Cambridge, Boston, etc.).

Boston seems to be the perfect city for college students. The city is full of activity and full of students and recent graduates. The museums all let them in for free, there are parties and concerts constantly, and the public transportation is great.

• Like 2

That's the perfect place to go for CompSci and Robotics. When oldest dd worked in a U of M AI lab, their robot was created by UMass-Lowell folks and that's who trained them on its use. They have the coolest toys!

This is so good to hear.  With all these choices even if you feel like you've weighed everything and made the best decision, it's so easy to second-guess, so positive reinforcement is great. :)

• Like 2

My dd decided on The King's College in NYC.  She loves the house system, the city, the fact that it is a small, Christian, liberal arts college, really just the whole atmosphere and philosophy of the college.  She will major in Religious and Theological Studies.  She also received a good aid package - but turning down full tuition at Mercer was a hard pill to swallow!

• Like 15

Ds chose Susquehanna University

Major: Music (Piano Performance)

Reason: Great scholarship and aid package, lovely, small school and music program (suits his non-competitive, quiet, introverted nature), student ambassadors on audition day were so welcoming and friendly and obviously very happy there, and of course, he likes the professor with whom he'll study.

• Like 13

DS of Morning Glory: The University of Memphis

Major: Geography with a possible second major in math

Reasons for choosing school: My son was born and raised a serious Memphis Tiger fan. I have pictures of him in a U of M onesie at one week old to a #MEMBound size adult large t-shirt at 18 years old. We thought the decision would come down to money, but in the end his decision was based on comfort. He wants to be a U of M graduate, and in fact, he will be a fourth-generation U of M graduate. ;-) To help seal the decision, Memphis gives full tuition and a housing/board stipend for National Merit, and my son won Tennessee's Ned McWherter scholarship that will cover whatever is left. He will definitely continue to study after his bachelor's degree, so it is nice to do undergrad for free.

Reasons for choosing major: DS is a map/Google Earth fanatic. When he compared the course descriptions of geography classes to those in the math department, it was a no-brainer. He may still double major or minor in math, but geography holds his heart. A B.A. in geography is a stepping stone to grad school for cartography or meteorology, or ds could go the GIS route. But he is also very interested in going to seminary. Who knows? He may be a weatherman...or a preacher!

• Like 14

My grad school alma mater  (MS Computer Engineering) - a good practical school - improving all the time!

Make sure she takes some EE hardware classes along the way - send me a resume in 4 years  :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

Boston seems to be the perfect city for college students. The city is full of activity and full of students and recent graduates. The museums all let them in for free, there are parties and concerts constantly, and the public transportation is great.

Not to mention that coming from smartphone crazy CA college cities, we actually saw a number of people reading books at the train station in Boston and Cambridge. Good ol' print books. :001_wub:

Edited by quark
  • Like 7

My daughter is happy to be heading to Brandeis University.

She is undecided about a major.

Brandeis was not on her original list, but I urged her to do the tour/interview routine at Brandeis--and Wellesley--last year. These are local schools and let her see two really different campus cultures at similarly selective schools and practice interviewing in low-stakes situations.  She liked them both--Brandeis a lot more, though--and completed their applications.

She really likes the collaborative campus vibe, the exchange program with Korea University, the music opportunities on campus and in Boston and sees a place where she can continue activism she has been working on in high school.  There is a high level of participation in debate--another one of my daughter's high school EC's--in the student body.  In addition to a cousin alumna, my daughter knows other homeschoolers who have graduated from Brandeis and report very positive experiences.

• Like 16

My daughter is happy to be heading to Brandeis University.

She is undecided about a major.

Brandeis was not on her original list, but I urged her to do the tour/interview routine at Brandeis--and Wellesley--last year. These are local schools and let her see two really different campus cultures at similarly selective schools and practice interviewing in low-stakes situations.  She liked them both--Brandeis a lot more, though--and completed their applications.

She really likes the collaborative campus vibe, the exchange program with Korea University, the music opportunities on campus and in Boston and sees a place where she can continue activism she has been working on in high school.  There is a high level of participation in debate--another one of my daughter's high school EC's--in the student body.  In addition to a cousin alumna, my daughter knows other homeschoolers who have graduated from Brandeis and report very positive experiences.

My good friend's ds is also headed to Brandeis, homeschooled all the way through. :)

• Like 1

DS chose to attend University of Maryland College Park

Major: mechanical engineering. Reason: He loves cars and eventually would like to pursue a higher degree automotive engineering.

Reason for choosing school: After getting a huge 4-year renewable scholarship from the University of Michigan (his first choice all along), DS figured out that he wants to be close to home. He feels that UMD's campus is more navigable. He prefers the dining hall hours at UMD. He'll be able to graduate with an honors citation from UMD. He liked the faculty and staff better at UMD. He feels the support services are better at UMD.

DH and I were a tiny bit disappointed that he did not choose UMich bc hubby is from Michigan and because of UMich's prestige; however, we are overjoyed that DS is 100% confident with his choice to attend UMD.

Edited by ValRN
  • Like 13

That's nice to hear. Is he local?

My daughter says one of her fellow incomings is pestering her about being homeschooled on Brandeis 2020 facebook chat.

Yes, he's local.  Are you guys local?  Not sure if he's logged into their 2020 facebook chat yet - I'll ask.  Boo to the person pestering her about being homeschooled... 

That's nice to hear. Is he local?

My daughter says one of her fellow incomings is pestering her about being homeschooled on Brandeis 2020 facebook chat.

Do you mean pestering as in asking lots of questions because they are curious? Or pestering as in being a bully?  If the latter, I would report that to someone at the college immediately.  I wouldn't want to start the year off that way, and I bet they would handle things that happen on social media just like in person.  There is no excuse if it is crossing into bullying, and I have a feeling that the admissions department would want to know about an incoming student behaving inappropriately.

Do you mean pestering as in asking lots of questions because they are curious? Or pestering as in being a bully?

Between those; a disdainful tone as in "really?! how could that have been a good experience?" when she writes something positive, in a humble vein, such as "It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it."

Yes, he's local.  Are you guys local?  Not sure if he's logged into their 2020 facebook chat yet - I'll ask.  <<

Looks like a banner year for Brandeis's admitting local homeschoolers.

When we arrived for our tour, we saw a homeschooler that we knew through my husband's work.  We hear that he was admitted but is going elsewhere.

I am on my phone with the rocket team inside Gettysburg National Military Park. I will try to do updates from the hotel tonight.

Hey lady - you should have said something.  You're awfully close to us and I'd have loved meeting you (and the team) in person!

• Like 2

I would have loved to meet up! The rocket team trip is a whirlwind however. I probably won't get even five minutes at a quilt store, lol. It looks bad for competition.Rain, hail...and Sunday which is the weather delay day, the wind speeds may be too high to compete safely. We need the will of the Hive to work miracles over the weather!! :D

• Like 2

There are three large groups which each has several hundred students involved in weekly Bible studies.

Princeton Evangelical Fellowship http://pef.mycpanel.princeton.edu/

Manna Christian Fellowship http://manna.princeton.edu/

Princeton Faith and Action http://www.princetonfaithandaction.org/

My daughter was involved with PEF and Manna; my son is involved with PFA.  They all seem to be active, vibrant groups.

Wow, that is great.

My husband and I met at Princeton  :001_wub:  ... and he was baptized there :)

Wonderful memories. Congratulations to all!

• Like 6

Have I missed anyone? I added ds of ValRn. Sucking down coffee like a dying man who finds the oasis in the desert.  :D

Trying to recover from our very eventful trip. Must brag..the rocket team took 2nd place in the Nation and won a $5000.00 each in scholarship money as well as some other really nice prizes.

It was a good weekend. 

So now, back to those college decision!

• Like 19

Carnegie Mellon University

Major: Design

Reason for choosing school and major: This was the program dd had showed us right before her junior year when she voiced that she wanted study graphic design. She knew she didn't want a fine arts degree; she wanted something different. So she found this program and aimed for it. (Of course, when she told me, I panicked because she had nothing in a way of a portfolio. She had to work hard on her portfolio.)

We also know and have visited a church near the school that she can walk to, and there are a number of Christian clubs on campus. Anyone know anything about the Christian clubs on CMU?

HEARTY THANK YOUs to:

1. MBM: When I panicked, MBM (not sure if she still checks the board) calmed me down by giving me very sound advice. She helped me to see that it was not impossible for my dd to get a portfolio ready. 

2. Everyone who answered ALL my questions during the application process. I never could have gone through it sanely without your help!

• Like 15