Menu

2016 decisions thread

FaithManor

American University - ds of Swimmermomof3 - International Studies with - emphasis in foreign policy & national security

Brandeis University - dd of cave canem - undecided

Bridgewater State University - dd of Matryoshka - Public Archaeology, minor in Dance

Brigham Young University.- ds of Aretemama - undeclared

Carnegie Melon University - dd of mamato4 - Design

Clemson University - dd of Melissa NC - Engineering

Cornell University - dd of Teacher Mom, Pre-Vetrinary Science and Bio Statistics

Georgia State University - ds of Joules - Neuroscience

Grove City College - dd of mckive6 - Mechanical Engineering

Indiana University Jacobs School of Music- ds of littlemommy - Piano Performance

King's College NYC - dd of Kim in SouthGA - Religious Studies and Theology

Lawrence University - dd of JanetC - Art and French

McDaniel College - ds of Kewb - Exercise Science

Missouri Western State University - dd of Momto2ns - Nursing

Massachusetts Institute of Technology - dc of JoanHomeEd -Math, Chemistry

Master's College - dd of flockofsillies - Communication

Oglethorpe University - ds of teachermom2384 - Business

Princeton University - dd of gr8lander - Engineering

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - ds of TheApprentice - Mechanical Engineering

Saint Mary's University of Halifax - ds of Colleen in NS - Sciences (astrophysics, math, computer science, ...)

Susquehanna University - ds of Nancy in NH - Piano Performance

Texas State University - ds of Kinsa - Recreational Administration

Thomas Aquinas College - ds of TammyS - Liberal Arts

University of Alabama - ds of mjbucks1 - Computer Science

University of Alabama at Huntsville - dd of Katilac majoring in French possibly also Economics

University of California Berkeley - ds of 3xblessed - Physics

University of Florida - dd of MelissaB - Advertising, English, Sustainability in Built Environment, minor Studio Arts/Photography

University of Maryland College Park - ds of Kiso1 - undecided, ds of ValRn - Mechanical Engineering

University of Mary Washington - dd of Heather in VA - Psychology and Biochemistry

University of Massachusetts Lowell - dd of Matryoshka - Computer Science (possibly robotics emphasis)

University of Memphis - ds of Morning glory - Geography

University of Michigan - dd of Angela in Ohio - Aerospace Engineering

University of Mobile - DD of 1Togo - Music Performance/Theatrical Emphasis

University of Washington - ds of Bugs - Civil Engineering

Virginia Tech - dd of MysteryJen - Japanese & swimming for the school, major TBA - dd of Diana P, Human Nutrition & Exercise - ds of Sebastian a Lady, Engineering/Computer Science

Western Michigan University - ds of faithmanor - Freshwater Sciences and Sustainability with a minor in Chemistry

Wheaton College - ds of Sandra in Va - English with emphasis in writing

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 30

Bridgewater State University - dd(1) of Matryoshka

Would it be fun to include what they plan to major/minor in?  In this dd's case, it's a major in Public Archaeology, minor in Dance.

I know that the top list needs to be kept terse to be readable and maintainable (three cheers for FaithManor! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: ), but any details about how and why your DC chose their majors, schools, etc. would be great to hear in these postings.

• Like 7

LOL, that didn't take long. I'm tired and trying to type with a big band aid (long story, not pretty) so I will try to get the list going with these new updates on Monday. Tomorrow I have to "sit" my parents...long story, father that refuses to behave himself, sigh. I won't be at the computer while at their house.

• Like 3

University of Alabama in Huntsville - dd of katilac - French, maybe Economics  

UAH made dd a great offer, which always helps, but they were on the short list early on. 

Things she loves about UAH: high research activity, solid academically, great job/internship opportunities, single bedrooms, French major and several good options for 2nd major and minors, clean and pretty campus, the honors dean is great, and both the university and the town are super, super friendly.  

We love that they do honors orientation and admitted students day at the end of March, so dd will have her schedule and gets to meet other students and spend more time on campus (important for the slow-to-warm-up students). I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful everyone on campus was, from the admissions office to professors. They are very accessible. For example, when dd met with the business school, they told her that the two advisers never have appointments at the same time, one of them is always available for walk-ins. They were also great at fitting in last minute requests, and all of the professors were welcoming and readily spent time with her. 

We're from New Orleans, so we were also amazed at the smooth roads and flow of traffic  :lol:

The main drawbacks were distance and a weak study abroad program. It's 6 1/2 hours, which was somewhat past her comfort level, but we sat down and worked out how many visits she could expect, and she decided she could work with it (the comforts of a big extended family!). They are supposed to be strengthening their study abroad program, and hopefully they do, but we have assured her we will get her abroad one way or the other. 

The French major is because she loves it and is already 2 years in with DE. She will definitely have a second major; right now she is considering economics or math. That is definitely open to change, though. UAH also has some cool minors, like global studies and public history. 

• Like 19

Missouri Western State University

Nursing major

Chosen because it:

has an excellent nursing program w/high certification rates

is her ideal distance from home

is very inexpensive (this is my practical child)

is a school focused on hands on education (this is not my liberal arts kid)

and because she:

could get early (honors) admissions to the nursing program and not have to wait two years to apply

liked the town where it is located both size and weather (not to mention the only time she'd been there before the campus visit was when she won a gymnastics state championship lol)

liked the atmosphere of the school when we toured

could picture herself happy there.

• Like 19

Dd of Mystery Jen-- Virginia Tech.

No declared major- will minor in Japanese, looking at another language for major (VT doesn't offer Japanese as a major)

She received a great offer to swim there and signed her National Letter of Intent in November. She received her official acceptance to VT in February. Right now, she is planning to swim and maybe take a class next summer, leaving immediately after Olympic Trials. That will all be figured out in the next month or so. We are down to a few more months with her at home.

• Like 28

Dd of Mystery Jen-- Virginia Tech.

No declared major- will minor in Japanese, looking at another language for major (VT doesn't offer Japanese as a major)

She received a great offer to swim there and signed her National Letter of Intent in November. She received her official acceptance to VT in February. Right now, she is planning to swim and maybe take a class next summer, leaving immediately after Olympic Trials. That will all be figured out in the next month or so. We are down to a few more months with her at home.

:party: It takes an incredible level of dedication for both school and swimming to get where she is at. Congratulations!  It also takes a lot of parental support. Kudos to both of you.

• Like 10

Dorm deposit was made today. Ds chose Western Michigan University due to a variety of factors including the unique Freshwater Sciences and Sustainability major - the first of it's kind in the nation - extensive research options, good fit, and offered him more scholarship money as a percent of the entire bill than U of Rochester or Northern and U of Mi. So financially we can afford it, and the major is really the very best fit for his passion.

He is flying high, so happy to have the stress of the decision making over, the waiting ended, and that dorm deposit made.

• Like 29

Oglethorpe University-  DS of teachermom2834

Major- Business (not sure which concentration)

Chosen because:

-Location is huge- is a safe upscale area on the outskirts of Atlanta.  Small campus bubble in walking distance of shops/restaurant/church with access via Marta to downtown Atlanta.  Only 2 hours from home.

-Good internship program with businesses in Atlanta

-Opportunity to play baseball

-Scholarships and financial aid offer

- good combination of small college but big city

• Like 20

Virginia Tech for dd.

Major: Human Nutrition and Exercise.

She chose school and major because she wants to go to PT school after undergrad. This degree has all the PT program requirements. She could have majored in something random and tried to get all the requirements in, but this approach makes more sense for dd. Additionally, this degree allows dd to gain registered dietitian certification too, which she likes.

I was a little surprised when VT moved to first choice and she did early decision. She initially had said she wanted a very small school. She liked the feeling of small campuses, but the lack of course choices was a problem. However VT, despite being very large both in population and physically, appeared to be a very welcoming, friendly and accommodating place when we visited.

• Like 18

Virginia Tech for dd.

VT, despite being very large both in population and physically, appeared to be a very welcoming, friendly and accommodating place when we visited.

VT is an awesome place.  I think it's rural setting helps it or maybe it just helps it by appealing to a certain type/fit.

We were just there three weeks ago (having graduated from there too many years ago) and the current students accepted us like they'd known us for years.  We got a personal tour of the dorm where we lived (volunteered by a young man who saw us).  Actually, ours was torn down and a brand new one stands in its place.  He and his friends updated us on a ton of what's gone on over the years.  We were also greeted and welcomed by other students who just happened to see us - and hubby got free cookies from their pre-health club.

We did have to pay $30 for a parking ticket due to accepting that free tour... we knew that would happen.  One thing that hasn't changed is how quickly they enforce their parking meters.  It was worth it.

In general the changes have been impressive.  It was fun to go to college when we did.  Students now have so much more in opportunities though (in classes, etc).  The research going on is impressive.

I hope your dd has as great a time there as we did in our day!  It was pretty awesome eating at college student haunts (the same ones we ate at in our day) and listening to the students sharing their lives, hopes, and dreams.  I wish them all well!

• Like 2

Georgia State University's Honors College

Major: Neuroscience (though subject to change ;) )

Chosen because:

The Honors College is incredible, with a wonderful staff and so many opportunities.  I only wish it had been on our list earlier.

The vibrancy of the city

He felt at home there and has enjoyed all the students he's met.

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Major:  TBD

Minor: TBD

Reason for choosing this school: 

DD put down her deposit today at her school of choice!

:party:

I'm not going to specifically mention which school, since she's an athlete and will have her name plastered in easy-to-find places due to that (and I don't want her name somehow connected with all of my threads here!!)

I will say, though, that ultimately - my wonderfully intellectual, scholarly daughter chose the school due to the team itself. Not academics, not cost - just the team, the team. Once we ensured that her list of narrowed-down choices were "do-able," we completely left it in her hands to determine her priorities... and, as it turns out, the team was what was most important to her. (of course, this was from an already narrowed-down list... so the usual eliminations had already been made...)

Thankfully, she is officially signing her NLI next week and will receive a sizeable athletic scholarship that makes it possible for her to pursue her first choice happily and without adding financial stress on her future. :hurray:

After all the stress - the last-minute gap year considerations -  -  - We Are Done and She Is Happy.  :cheers2:

(now, ask me in mid-August if it was a great idea to encourage dd to go to school so far away from me. :toetap05:  I have a sneaking suspicion Skype won't sound *quite-so-awesome* then!! :p)

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 17

DS chose McDaniel College-major exercise science with the long term goal of occupational therapist.

Not an easy decision.  It came down to Clark and McDaniel.  Both excellent schools and each with different strengths.

After attending both admitted student days McDaniel came out ahead for a few reasons.

McDaniel gives the impression of being 100% invested in each student succeeding. The teachers and the students are very involved with this goal.

Swim team-ds has been waffling on whether or not he wanted to continue swimming in college.  After meeting the swim coach and some of the swimmers he was impressed with their academics first philosophy.   As far as swim teams go, they are ranked 7th for academic gpa. No one wants to see that slip so the coaches and the swimmers help one another.

They have his major.  Clark does have a pre-allied health major but some of the classes necessary for OT pre-requisites are not offered at Clark.  He would have to travel by bus to one of their partner schools.  That is a minimum of 3 hours taken out of his day between class time and commuting.

Merit Aid-McDaniel was the most generous with the merit aid.  That means less debt overall once he finishes grad school.

School Spirit-He felt the spirit was greater than Clark.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 12

American University (School of International Service) - ds of swimmermom3

Major:  BA in International Studies with a focus on Foreign Policy and National Security

(No minors chosen yet.)

Reasons for choosing this major:  When ds was much younger and we still made the daily drive to the pool for practice, he routinely listened to NPR and asked all kinds of questions with regards to politics and "the money trail."  His high school studies in the areas of economics and government and politics along with spending time in Spain have only intensified his interest.

Reason for choosing this school:  It is in the top ten universities for his major, but unlike GWU, it has a university campus feel while still being accessible to all the opportunities that Washington D.C. has to offer.  It also has a fledgling sailing team that will fill that social and athletic need without the time constraints that GW's varsity team demands. Sailor Dude felt at home on the campus and genuinely liked the students that he met. 

Homeschooling this child was never an easy proposition, but definitely a rewarding one. I should have known that choosing a college would pose similar challenges. During the last four years, we've gotten into the habit of stretching our limits, the next four years will be more of the same. 

• Like 36

Major:  BA in International Studies with a focus on Foreign Policy and National Security

(No minors chosen yet.)

Reasons for choosing this major:  When ds was much younger and we still made the daily drive to the pool for practice, he routinely listened to NPR and asked all kinds of questions with regards to politics and "the money trail."  His high school studies in the areas of economics and government and politics along with spending time in Spain have only intensified his interest.

Reason for choosing this school:  It is in the top ten universities for his major, but unlike GWU, it has a university campus feel while still being accessible to all the opportunities that Washington D.C. has to offer.  It also has a fledgling sailing team that will fill that social and athletic need without the time constraints that GW's varsity team demands. Sailor Dude felt at home on the campus and genuinely liked the students that he met. 

Homeschooling this child was never an easy proposition, but definitely a rewarding one. I should have known that choosing a college would pose similar challenges. During the last four years, we've gotten into the habit of stretching our limits, the next four years will be more of the same. 

Here's a giant hug and a high five from me for crossing the finish line in spectacular style! :grouphug:  :thumbup1:

I've enjoyed so many great discussions with you over the last 6 or 7 years (both "deep" and "broad," in and out of various boxes <grin>) and I'm so very very happy for you and the Dude that you have ended up exactly where you wanted to be. You should both be very proud — well done mama!!!

:party:

ETA: Please promise that you'll stick around for a bit, even though your homeschooling job is complete. We need the voices of people like you and Nan and JennW, who have BTDT and proudly wear the tee shirt. And I can't wait to hear all about the Dude's adventures at American. :)  

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 10

(No minors chosen yet.)

Yay! I grew up down the street from AU (Mom still lives there)in the AU Park neighborhood. He'll love the area. DC is a great place to be.
  • Like 1

I've been avoiding this thread, because it was stressing me out that ds didn't have a decision.

Finally, I can announce.

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State College

Major is not officially declared until a later point, but he was accepted into the College of Engineering and intends to do a Computer Science degree.

A good friend of ours (son of one of my homeschooling mentors) graduated from VA Tech last year.  We toured the school a couple years ago and really liked it.  It has a great campus feel, collegey looking, not urban but also not in the sticks by itself.  

DS will be in the Corps of Cadets on a Navy ROTC scholarship.  This will pay for tuition, books and (some) uniforms.  He is super excited about the idea of being part of the Corps.  It is a great option for him to blend the military environment and a civilian school.

A couple things really sold me on the school.  I've never met a grad who wasn't wholly enthusiastic.  The motto is Ut Prosim (That I might serve) and they seem to actually have the spirit of the motto as a driving force behind some of the campus activities.  It is an unrepentant techy engineering school.  When we did the campus tour, the guide pointed out that the dorms didn't have AC, but then described how he and his roommate used two box fans to create an airflow.  He then shrugged and said, "It's an engineering school.  You ought to be able to figure out how to use some fans."  That is a spirit of can do that I really appreciate.

DS is now researching computer requirements and food plans and generally wallowing in possibilities.  I'm so thrilled to move off of what if and onto actually making plans.

Prayers and good wishes for everyone who is still in decision mode.

• Like 30

I've been avoiding this thread, because it was stressing me out that ds didn't have a decision.

Finally, I can announce.

Major is not officially declared until a later point, but he was accepted into the College of Engineering and intends to do a Computer Science degree.

A good friend of ours (son of one of my homeschooling mentors) graduated from VA Tech last year. We toured the school a couple years ago and really liked it. It has a great campus feel, collegey looking, not urban but also not in the sticks by itself.

DS will be in the Corps of Cadets on a Navy ROTC scholarship. This will pay for tuition, books and (some) uniforms. He is super excited about the idea of being part of the Corps. It is a great option for him to blend the military environment and a civilian school.

A couple things really sold me on the school. I've never met a grad who wasn't wholly enthusiastic. The motto is Ut Prosim (That I might serve) and they seem to actually have the spirit of the motto as a driving force behind some of the campus activities. It is an unrepentant techy engineering school. When we did the campus tour, the guide pointed out that the dorms didn't have AC, but then described how he and his roommate used two box fans to create an airflow. He then shrugged and said, "It's an engineering school. You ought to be able to figure out how to use some fans." That is a spirit of can do that I really appreciate.

DS is now researching computer requirements and food plans and generally wallowing in possibilities. I'm so thrilled to move off of what if and onto actually making plans.

Congratulations! My alma mater. I so loved that place. Any large campus green area, I now refer to as a drill field. (Which makes for some interesting conversations when I am working at Kennesaw State) I was not in the corps, but had friends who were. I had a couple of friends who were computer engineering/computer science double majors. Congrats! I hope he loves it as much as DH and I did. (I am betting Creekland comes and posts just about the same thing soon.)

• Like 4

Finally, I can announce.

A good friend of ours (son of one of my homeschooling mentors) graduated from VA Tech last year. We toured the school a couple years ago and really liked it. It has a great campus feel, collegey looking, not urban but also not in the sticks by itself.

DS will be in the Corps of Cadets on a Navy ROTC scholarship. This will pay for tuition, books and (some) uniforms. He is super excited about the idea of being part of the Corps. It is a great option for him to blend the military environment and a civilian school.

A couple things really sold me on the school. I've never met a grad who wasn't wholly enthusiastic. The motto is Ut Prosim (That I might serve) and they seem to actually have the spirit of the motto as a driving force behind some of the campus activities. It is an unrepentant techy engineering school. When we did the campus tour, the guide pointed out that the dorms didn't have AC, but then described how he and his roommate used two box fans to create an airflow. He then shrugged and said, "It's an engineering school. You ought to be able to figure out how to use some fans." That is a spirit of can do that I really appreciate.

DS is now researching computer requirements and food plans and generally wallowing in possibilities. I'm so thrilled to move off of what if and onto actually making plans.

Congratulations! Looks like there's going to be a few of us sending kids there. It's going to be great.

• Like 1

University of Alabama - ds mjbucks1

Major: computer science, STEM path to MBA (he will graduate with his BS in computer science and MBA in 5 years)

Reason for choosing major: DS really enjoys programming.  In general, this kid just loves learning.  I could easily see him majoring in physics, math, or literature...lol!  

Reason for choosing school:  DS LOVED the honors program and the campus (very friendly!).  The engineering program is not huge, and many students are able to start research their freshman year.  He received Alabama's National Merit scholarship which is a near full-ride, including a 5th year of tuition for his MBA, which made this school hard to turn down!

• Like 21

University of Alabama - ds mjbucks1

Major: computer science, STEM path to MBA (he will graduate with his BS in computer science and MBA in 5 years)

Reason for choosing major: DS really enjoys programming.  In general, this kid just loves learning.  I could easily see him majoring in physics, math, or literature...lol!  

Reason for choosing school:  DS LOVED the honors program and the campus (very friendly!).  The engineering program is not huge, and many students are able to start research their freshman year.  He received Alabama's National Merit scholarship which is a near full-ride, including a 5th year of tuition for his MBA, which made this school hard to turn down!

If dd's sport hadn't been an issue - she would have likely chosen Alabama for the very reasons you listed! She made it to the final interview rounds of their Fellows Experience before pulling out once other schools fell into line with her ideal situation.

It's great to see someone else's kid from here head that direction this year!! Everything we read and learned about Alabama and their engineering program and their honors programs, we loved - SO many opportunities to be found there!! Hope he loves his time there!!

Edited by hopskipjump

Finally, I can announce.

DS will be in the Corps of Cadets on a Navy ROTC scholarship.  This will pay for tuition, books and (some) uniforms.  He is super excited about the idea of being part of the Corps.  It is a great option for him to blend the military environment and a civilian school.

A couple things really sold me on the school.  I've never met a grad who wasn't wholly enthusiastic.  The motto is Ut Prosim (That I might serve) and they seem to actually have the spirit of the motto as a driving force behind some of the campus activities.  It is an unrepentant techy engineering school.  When we did the campus tour, the guide pointed out that the dorms didn't have AC, but then described how he and his roommate used two box fans to create an airflow.  He then shrugged and said, "It's an engineering school.  You ought to be able to figure out how to use some fans."  That is a spirit of can do that I really appreciate.

:party:  :hurray:  :iagree:  :party:

Need I say more?  We were just back there for a visit this past Feb and loved talking with the current students.  They seemed to cherish us as alumni.  One cadet gave us a personal tour of the new Pearson dorm.  The Corps has changed a bit since our days (hubby's and mine), but the sense of camaraderie, pride, and service sure hasn't died.  We left both excited for students there now and nostalgic that our days there are in the past.

• Like 1

Major: BA in International Studies with a focus on Foreign Policy and National Security

(No minors chosen yet.)

Reasons for choosing this major: When ds was much younger and we still made the daily drive to the pool for practice, he routinely listened to NPR and asked all kinds of questions with regards to politics and "the money trail." His high school studies in the areas of economics and government and politics along with spending time in Spain have only intensified his interest.

Reason for choosing this school: It is in the top ten universities for his major, but unlike GWU, it has a university campus feel while still being accessible to all the opportunities that Washington D.C. has to offer. It also has a fledgling sailing team that will fill that social and athletic need without the time constraints that GW's varsity team demands. Sailor Dude felt at home on the campus and genuinely liked the students that he met.

Oh, Lisa! Sniff sniff! What a journey it has. Been, hunh? Thank you so much for being with me on it! And best of luck to you and your son!

• Like 2

Dd has finally made a decision, after more visits... and research.. and talking... and more visits. :D 

She is going to the University of Michigan to major in Aerospace Engineering. There were other possibly more attractive options, but they didn't have aerospace and in the end that's what it came down to. She will also be able to either graduate a year early or double major or knock out a 4+1 in 4 years because she is bringing in more than a year of credits from DE. She would not have carried those to any of her other choices.

She is so relieved to be able to have an answer to tell people after months of suspense!

• Like 26

Dd has finally made a decision, after more visits... and research.. and talking... and more visits. :D

She is going to the University of Michigan to major in Aerospace Engineering. There were other possibly more attractive options, but they didn't have aerospace and in the end that's what it came down to. She will also be able to either graduate a year early or double major or knock out a 4+1 in 4 years because she is bringing in more than a year of credits from DE. She would not have carried those to any of her other choices.

She is so relieved to be able to have an answer to tell people after months of suspense!

Dear Angela,

Welcome to the club! As a fellow wolverine mother (an unholy alliance as I am by default of 4-H technically a spartan, LOL  :D ), I want you to know that we have plenty of room in the family for you!  :party:

Congratulations, and GO BLUE!  :biggrinjester:

• Like 1

Decision made: Ds2 will attend UC Berkeley. He likes it for its excellent physics department and highly motivated and smart student body. He intends to major in physics. Another feature he liked is a new 4-story maker space/innovation design studio with extensive equipment (laser cutters, 3-D printers, water jets, CAD) that just opened last year. I think it was donated through corporate sponsors. It is available for all students to use for class or personal projects. Ds is a builder/hobbyist and is excited to have access to this studio.

We are happy with the in-state tuition and it is close to home so there is no travel expense. He will stay at the dorms, because it is too much traffic to commute from home.

Edit: His original preference was a small STEM school. We realized as we visited Berkeley and spent most of our time in the northeast side of the large campus, where the science, math, engineering buildings were, and the new high tech innovation studio, that it looked and felt like a STEM school. It's funny because a couple of years ago, ds1 was in the architecture side of campus, so we did not realize the different vibe on the STEM side of campus.

Edited by 3XBlessed
  • Like 24

Decision made: Ds2 will attend UC Berkeley. He likes it for its excellent physics department and highly motivated and smart student body. He intends to major in physics. Another feature he liked is a new 4-story maker space/innovation design studio with extensive equipment (laser cutters, 3-D printers, water jets, CAD) that just opened last year. I think it was donated through corporate sponsors. It is available for all students to use for class or personal projects. Ds is a builder/hobbyist and is excited to have access to this studio.

We are happy with the in-state tuition and it is close to home so there is no travel expense. He will stay at the dorms, because it is too much traffic to commute from home.

Edit: His original preference was a small STEM school. We realized as we visited Berkeley and spent most of our time in the northeast side of the large campus, where the science, math, engineering buildings were, and the new high tech innovation studio, that it looked and felt like a STEM school. It's funny because a couple of years ago, ds1 was in the architecture side of campus, so we did not realize the different vibe on the STEM side of campus.

Yay! Berkeley has such a good physics department. At Cal Day last weekend we spent most of our time in the Linguistics Dept, and listening to music performances and author readings, but we also spent about an hour in the physics building, including a tour of the labs & learning about their dark matter experiments. With LBL just a short walk uphill from campus (with an amazing view of SF & the Golden Gate Bridge), quite a few students get part-time or summer jobs there. (And of course there are many other opportunities in the area & on campus.) That design studio sounds great. If your son wants to meet a cheerful CS/math major (currently a sophomore), my son would be happy to meet up with him anytime.

The school is large and vibrant enough to have many different feels to it. My dad was a physics/ME major back in the 1950s, and spent all his time in the NE corner of campus, and it felt very much like a science/tech place :). And I agree -- in-state tuition ROCKS. What a value :) GO BEARS! :D

ETA: I tried to attach a photo of the physics dept t-shirt I got at Cal Day, with a clever math equation on the back. The physics teacher at our local high school said one of her students was deciding between UCLA and Berkeley, and the physics dept at Cal won him over and he will enroll next fall.

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 5

Congratulations!  I'm glad you brought up the size, because the UCs seem just (to quote Trump, lol) yuge!  Can you comment a bit on how his thoughts have changed on the size of the school.  Are there any concerns about getting lost in the shuffle or having personal interactions with faculty?  Is he planning to do some research while he's there?  How receptive is the faculty to undergrads doing research?  

(And all these questions, months before he's started classes!)  

• Like 1

I have one word for you--Zingermans!  If you haven't found it already--enjoy.

Ok-one more word-Congratulations!  to you and your dd.

• Like 1

Yay! Berkeley has such a good physics department. At Cal Day last weekend we spent most of our time in the Linguistics Dept, and listening to music performances and author readings, but we also spent about an hour in the physics building, including a tour of the labs & learning about their dark matter experiments. With LBL just a short walk uphill from campus (with an amazing view of SF & the Golden Gate Bridge), quite a few students get part-time or summer jobs there. (And of course there are many other opportunities in the area & on campus.) That design studio sounds great. If your son wants to meet a cheerful CS/math major (currently a sophomore), my son would be happy to meet up with him anytime.

The school is large and vibrant enough to have many different feels to it. My dad was a physics/ME major back in the 1950s, and spent all his time in the NE corner of campus, and it felt very much like a science/tech place :). And I agree -- in-state tuition ROCKS. What a value :) GO BEARS! :D

ETA: I tried to attach a photo of the physics dept t-shirt I got at Cal Day, with a clever math equation on the back. The physics teacher at our local high school said one of her students was deciding between UCLA and Berkeley, and the physics dept at Cal won him over and he will enroll next fall.

We went on that dark matter lab tour at Cal Day, too. And we also did the quantum nanoelectronics lab tour. Ds2 loved it! We had just bought him a Cal sweatshirt and t-shirt from the Cal store, then we saw the physics shirt that the physics students were selling that said Cal on the back in math equations, so we bought him that as well.

That would be great if ds could meet up with your son. He actually has a question regarding which math course he should start with for his first semester.

• Like 2

Congratulations! I'm glad you brought up the size, because the UCs seem just (to quote Trump, lol) yuge! Can you comment a bit on how his thoughts have changed on the size of the school. Are there any concerns about getting lost in the shuffle or having personal interactions with faculty? Is he planning to do some research while he's there? How receptive is the faculty to undergrads doing research?

(And all these questions, months before he's started classes!)

We talked to a couple of Cal alumni physics majors and current physics students and professors at Cal Day. We learned that the physics major is not impacted, so it is not difficult to get into the physics classes. Physics majors have their own courses, which are separate from the physics courses taken for other majors, so they are much smaller and more in depth. The Society of Physics Students chapter at Cal is pretty active and the physics majors have a physics reading room, which is a study room just for physics students. It is a newly renovated space, very nice and bright, where they can collaborate on their problem sets. Only physics major have access to the space, so they can really get to know each other.

Ds1 had a similar set-up in the architecture department, where only architecture students had access into the architecture studio building. Each architecture students had his/her own desk and work space there so they really got to know each other.

Yes, my ds is eager to do research. Any physics undergraduate student at Cal who wants to do research is able to get into a research group. We have learned that the physics professors welcome undergrads into their research group. The students just needs to ask. If one group happens to be full at the moment, there are always other groups to join.

We have been warned that getting into some general breadth courses is challenging because the popular classes get impacted. But as long as a student is open and flexible with which class to take to meet those requirements, it is doable. He might have to be willing to take the less popular classes, for example Celtic Studies.

The Society of Physics Students organizes pizza lunches where professors come and talk to the students about their research. Overall, the Cal physics department seems like a supportive, collaborative environment.

Edited by 3XBlessed
  • Like 3

Clemson University 

Major:  BS in engineering.  Everyone takes general engineering the first year then the faculty helps the student decide which discipline in engineering to persue.

Reasons for choosing this major:  She was born an engineer, like her parents. She often came up with creative solutions to problems.

Reason for choosing this school:  Deciding to study engineering limits which school to attend.  We looked at schools within a radius of home.  Clemson has a beautiful campus that she will feel comfortable. (Nothing against the college she was accepted at in a big city, but she is a small town girl at heart.)  Clemson has a great diversity of engineering and sense of community.

Go Tigers!

• Like 24

The Society of Physics Students chapter at Cal is pretty active and the physics majors have a physics reading room, which is a study room just for physics students. It is a newly renovated space, very nice and bright, where they can collaborate on their problem sets. Only physics major have access to the space, so they can really get to know each other.

That sounds like a nice solution: creating smaller communities within a larger school.  Best of luck to your ds, and let us know how things go next year!  

• Like 3