Menu

My 4 y.o. ds is a fan of Fred Astaire

Maybe not, but he's got good taste. :-)

He LOVES the dancing. He is a very athletic child. We have him in gymnastics now, and he has been placed in a "hand-picked" class and shows a lot of promise. I think if he were to get into dance later it would be totally cool.

I am proud of my talented kiddoes. Thanks for listening :001_smile:

Get the boy some tap shoes! Heck - could he also start ballet - great body control taught there (that is the big difference between Gene Kelly's dance style and Fred Astaire - Gene did ballet first.)

I would love to have him start with tap, and I think the jazz/acro is very cool also. I think men's ballet is amazing, but dh would need some convincing that it is "okay". ;)

Is it you who has a son in ballet? I know somebody here does...

I think the biggest thing holding me back from dance right away is I have not seen a dance class that is not all girls. My ds would pick up right away on the fact that he is the only boy in the class, and I don't want him to be discouraged by that. I was thinking if I wait until he is older and has a true drive in that direction then a) he is more likely to be taken seriously, and b) he may either find a co-ed or even a boys class or at least not be daunted by being the only boy. What do you think about this?

Even the ballet school where dd once took lessons had NO BOYS at all. In fact the director had to hire a "prince" for their end of the year performance. Where have all the great male dancers gone???

My son's in ballet, and has been since he was three -- or was it a young four? He was the only boy wearing black and white in a sea of pink, and he never even noticed. He liked the hopping, spinning, and skipping.

My raving about how great the class was (and the fact that boys were free) brought in another five or six boys into the class. Unfortunately they were the type of boys whose mothers disdained *forcing* their children to conform to societal rules, so they kind of wore out the teacher and it wasn't a great success from the Ballet's point of view. :lol:

The Ballet started an all-boys class or two, and that worked out very well. The ballet master was the male artistic director, and he was a bit of a drill sergeant. Perfect. :D

We'll see how this year goes. The boy-count has gone way down. (There seems to have been some kind of big shake-up over the summer and lots of people left.) So the classes are combined now, and without a regular teacher.

DH is a psychiatrist and he knows that ballet doesn't cause homosexuality and isn't worried about 'what people will think.' He *does* know it changed our clumsy, two-left-feet DS into a coordinated, athletic kid.

Well, my 11, 8, & 5 year olds are watching "Holiday Inn" right this minute, dancing around and singing all the songs! So, it may not be normal, but we'll come along and be abnormal with you!

Oh! That's one of my *favorite* movies! I'll have to buy it, because it's just not on often enough!

DH is a psychiatrist and he knows that ballet doesn't cause homosexuality and isn't worried about 'what people will think.' He *does* know it changed our clumsy, two-left-feet DS into a coordinated, athletic kid.

Of course ballet doesn't cause homosexuality. I think for dh it is more of a "what people will think" issue. He is worried about other kids giving ds a hard time. DH does admit he knew a male ballet dancer in college who wasn't the least bit effeminate. I have been working on him gently ever since I saw men's ballet for myself (WOW!) He has actually come a long way ;) I think if ds made the decision for himself to study ballet, dh would not discourage him.

Edited by beansprouts

She just thinks "those modern people" don't have the same skills anymore as those older actors and actresses. :D

I'd say you're in good company.

I'm going to pretend like I gave you some rep!

~Lisa

I would completely agree with your dd. I had no respect at all for the film industry before I started watching these movies. Nowadays it seems the only criteria for stardom seems to be looking good on the camera and the willingness to remove clothing. But these people had REAL talent. They could sing, dance, act and probably play at least one instrument. I am also much more impressed with videography as an art form in itself. I believe there is true value in my kids watching these, beyond just entertainment.