Menu

Could someone please talk to me about Mosdos Press Literature?

ereks mom

I'm researching options, and I like the sound of this.  I'm interested in hearing from those who have used it.  Did you find it rigorous at all?  How did your dc like the reading selections?  What is your (and your dc's) opinions of the workbook activities?  I read (at Cathy Duffy's website, I think) that the 6th grade workbook is twice as thick as the workbook for other grades, but I'm not sure I understood why--additional writing assignments???  Thanks for any input you can give.

We are finishing the 5th grade book.  I think most of the story selections were pretty good, I also like the little 1-page section before each story that talks about a literary element.  In the workbook, I guess it would depend on what you were wanting to cover- there are usually 2 pages of vocabulary, a page of comprehension questions, and a story organizer.  l  just got the 6th grade book, and I think we will add spelling and grammar to complete our LA.

• Like 1

BusyMom, did you find the teacher guide necessary or helpful? Were there answers to the workbook in the workbook or just the teacher's guide?  Did the guide have a lesson plan/schedule to follow?  At 600 pages, I'm worried it will be so dense that I'd never get around to using the teacher guide.

• Like 1

If you email Mosdos they will send you samples as well and they are different than what is on the website, so it's very helpful.  They even made sure to send me a story with corresponding TG/workbook pages so I could really get a feel for what all was there.  We ended up going with just the readers, but I haven't received them yet, so I'm hoping this was the right call. 

• Like 1

Carrousel, on 04 Mar 2016 - 3:25 PM, said:

BusyMom, did you find the teacher guide necessary or helpful? Were there answers to the workbook in the workbook or just the teacher's guide?  Did the guide have a lesson plan/schedule to follow?  At 600 pages, I'm worried it will be so dense that I'd never get around to using the teacher guide.

There is some truth to the bolded. The TM could really use some serious editing. I am using the TM a little this year (6th gr.) but wish I hadn't bought it, even though lit is one of my favorite subjects. I plan to only buy the reader next year.

• Like 2