Menu

Art Curriculum

Hi -

I have a rising ninth grader who has taken formal art classes for the past 4 years.  Unfortunately, we are not able to fit art into her schedule this year.  I would like to find a fun homeschool art curriculum for her to enjoy.  I don't plan to use it for credit because she will have enough credits without it.  We have used Atelier in the past, but it is elementary only.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Suzanne

Hello Suzanne,

The curriculum that I recommend for art is Artistic Pursuits. They have books for several levels- elementary up through senior high.  I have personally written reviews about this publisher's books for a marketing company and these books are good quality teaching. The emphasis is learning how "to see," not so much learning a formula how to draw.  The books that I reviewed gave instruction in a variety of media with references to specific age appropriate examples of art history.  These are not art history primarily, but a nice balance of art technique, art vocabulary, and art history.  Yesterday, I also found a website for online classes:  Dreaming Spires. They have an art history course with an optional combination of writing and evaluating. It looks like an interesting course.

http://www.dreamingspireshomelearning.com/p/new-art-appreciation-course.html?m=1

What age is your student? Is there a specific artistic interest such as watercolor, portraits, illustration, landscape, calligraphy, oils, etc...

I also recommend some of the specific media guides from North light books. I have a few of the older guides for marker techniques and they are great for an independent learner. Also Drawing Realistic Faces by Carrie Stuart Parks, Mona Brooks' Drawing with Older Children and Teens, and the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - are also good places to start. Whatever source you choose, finding one that mixes technique with learning to apply art concepts such as line, color, form, balance, etc... will help your student.   

I am a homeschool mom and an art teacher. I have been teaching art to students of various ages for over 20 years.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I will look over them.  The curriculum is for a rising ninth grader who will be 14.  She enjoys a wide variety of art methods.  She had a really excellent art teacher from 5th - 7th grade and did really well in the class.  This year we tried another teacher because of our schedule and he has been okay but the class has really been too basic for her.  Next year, I am unable to schedule her an outside art class so I am looking for something she can do at home.

Thanks again,

Suzanne

There was a thread recently with an online subscription site. You could also just buy courses outright. I can't find it right now, but will come back & update with the thread & site if I find it.

Thank you!  That would be great.  Since she hasn't started high school, I haven't been on this board very much.

Suzanne

• Like 1

What medium is she most interested in? Perhaps a change of that may be in order. For instance, if she is amazing at drawing, buy her a wood burning kit. What is her favorite subject? If it's the human figure, get a friend to be her live model. If it's landscapes, take her on site to beautiful places.

As an artist, I'm actually very much against art curriculum and feel the child should be encouraged to use their own creativity after they have reached a certain level of skill. Exploring new and exciting mediums like glass, wood, metal, etc. is also an excellent option.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A mature student can self start and do great. Though in my experience, even talented young people need guidance. This is why I recommend the books. Artistic Pursuits is my favorite choice when you don't have a teacher. I have seen used copies at homeschool classifieds website.  Any technique book that is written in an engaging way will give someone guidance.  As a parent, you will have to help her schedule a specific time and days to work. Without a plan, or a teacher - it can be hard to know where to start. As the parent, you can help her with planning a specific time, think of it as scheduling practice time for a musical instrument - this time it is just another fine art. When resources are limited - like time or money- as the parent, you can still help growth happen by helping your daughter plan. I do like the point of the reply above, keep media interest in mind. It is wise.

Another option is to check your local art museum school. Many of these museums have classes for young people in various media such as drawing, clay, jewelry making, stained glass, painting, etc. In  my town, the classes are cheaper than having a private teacher.  I have not checked the school house magazine website with all of their classes. Homeschool Buyers coop has lots of art stuff all the time. The more you look, the more options you will come up with. Craft stores like Michaels, JoAnnes, Hobby Lobby offer various short term classes that might be a good jump start for getting going in a direction of independent study. A class designed for adults might make an exception and let an interested high school student in. When I was in college, I taught art lessons to local homeschool children. If you have a university in your town, you might be able to call their art department, and make some contacts for possible college age tutors. Bob Jones Press has an out of print high school art book from Kathy Bell. I have seen it on the CBC website as well. I have a few copies of it. While there are things about it that it that I like, the book is written with the assumption that the student has prior art history knowledge. I will look on my studio shelf and see if, there is anything else that I have that might be an option worth considering as you research.

Since your daughter in a rising 9th grader, whatever art time she does can count toward an elective credit - depending on your state laws. So, she can do a 1/2 credit of art 1 with whatever book  or path you choose.

Oh, your local museum might also be doing a highschool art camp - this next summer. Some universities offer these for high school students too.

Edited by Pistachio mom
  • Like 1

My DD loves art.  I'm going with Harmony Fine Arts plans.  It spreads music & art appreciation over 4 years, having them go slowly through the same books & CDs.  They also have some art appreciation "copywork" where they add their own version of the painting being studied.  The first 2 years of art instruction are covered with Artistic Pursuits, then a pen & ink book is used for 11th.  Nothing "hands on" is planned for 12th, so I thought that would be a great time to let her pick a class or two at an art association or CC.

I'll also have her join in with my younger kids using chalkpastel.com and drawspace.com.  HFA schedules in polymer clay for 7th (which is what the younger DC will be using).  I'm thinking of having her "teach" this subject since she's the clay expert in the house.  I think it will be good experience for her!  

Another option could be Craftsy.  They have quite a few online art classes and are very inexpensive.  I haven't used their art classes, but I've taken a few quilting classes through it.  They have a metalsmithing class that looks really fun...although I'd probably save that for the upper years (when I might trust DD with a mini-blowtorch).   ;)  They have lots of free classes as well as the paid.  I usually wait until they have a $20 sale to buy a class.

Edited by Holly
  • Like 2