Menu

Need Shopping Help For a Cocktail Dress

ashfern

First, what exactly am I looking for? The invite says, " Attire is business-casual; blazers and button downs are suitable for men and cocktail party attire for the ladies." Second, this needs to be under $50. Third, this event is the 12th. Fourth, I have no clue what size I need as I've lost a lot of weight. So, hit me with your knowledge. Thanks!

I'd wear a shift dress or a blouse and business skirt. It sounds like they want women to wear dresses, but blazers and button downs are not formal enough for women's cocktail attire.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 1

LBD with fun accessories. Would not wear pants to something labeled "cocktail party attire" even though the men have a more casual clothing description. I'd rather be wrong and overdressed than underdressed.

• Like 2

Head out and try on some dresses. Loft is a great place to start. My real advice is to try on a whole bunch of clothing, and talk to the sales associates about fit. If the clerk suggests a smaller size, try it. There's a lot less room between smaller sizes than larger sizes, and 1/2 or 1" difference in garment circumference can make a huge difference in how a garment fits.

I've noticed that a lot of people who've lost a fair amount of weight buy and wear new clothing that is too big for them. I think that when they were heavier they may have gotten used to hiding their bodies as much as possible, but once they've lost weight, continuing to do that just looks like they're wearing someone else's clothing.

• Like 1

Pants are perfectly acceptable cocktail attire for women.

If you want a dress. I would go to Macy's or another department store like that. I like LOFT but there will be a limited number of dresses there, a department store will have a much bigger selection for you to try on.

You might even find cocktail dresses on clearance left from the holiday season.

• Like 1

Pants are perfectly acceptable cocktail attire for women.

I don't think I've ever seen a woman wear pants at something designated "cocktail attire"........... and again, it's always better to be a little overdressed than underdressed......... and I suppose if others have seen pants at cocktail parties than "know the crowd".

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a woman wear pants at something designated "cocktail attire"........... and again, it's always better to be a little overdressed than underdressed......... and I suppose if others have seen pants at cocktail parties than "know the crowd".

I have at several events and have not been underdressed. I was wearing a lovely blouse and fancy jewelry and heels. Only my legs were covered by two pieces of fabric instead of one. I wouldn't wear that dressy of an outfit to something labeled business casual though. I'd err to the side of something I'd wear to court (minus jacket) with a fun necklace to dress it up. I hate dresses, especially short ones!

If OP really wants a dress, check Nordstrom Rack and TJMaxx and Marshalls. They've got oodles of dresses right now for Easter and spring formals.

This wrap dress at Macy's is $54, but there are probably coupons and ebates. A wrap style is generally very flattering and can be dressed up or worn simply: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-three-quarter-sleeve-faux-wrap-dress?ID=2782096&CategoryID=71573&LinkType=#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D78%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1 

http://www.loft.com/Wrap%20Dress/380574?colorExplode=true&skuId=19509471&CID=GoogleLOFTDressKnitDress&gclid=CLTHqa26p8sCFU0dgQodtr4EIA$80 but 30% off which would bring it to $56

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

I have at several events and have not been underdressed. I was wearing a lovely blouse and fancy jewelry and heels. Only my legs were covered by two pieces of fabric instead of one. I wouldn't wear that dressy of an outfit to something labeled business casual though. I'd err to the side of something I'd wear to court (minus jacket) with a fun necklace to dress it up. I hate dresses, especially short ones!

If OP really wants a dress, check Nordstrom Rack and TJMaxx and Marshalls. They've got oodles of dresses right now for Easter and spring formals.

This wrap dress at Macy's is $54, but there are probably coupons and ebates. A wrap style is generally very flattering and can be dressed up or worn simply: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-three-quarter-sleeve-faux-wrap-dress?ID=2782096&CategoryID=71573&LinkType=#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D78%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1 

http://www.loft.com/Wrap%20Dress/380574?colorExplode=true&skuId=19509471&CID=GoogleLOFTDressKnitDress&gclid=CLTHqa26p8sCFU0dgQodtr4EIA$80 but 30% off which would bring it to $56

I did say "know the crowd".......... and have to say you gave me a laugh for the day as my first thought when I read "wear to court" was being introduced to the Queen of England. I've been reading a bit of English history lately. And I will have to say that in the op's particular case, it is a bit weird that the men are told business casual and the women are told cocktail attire so probably, in this case at least, the dressy pants would work.