Menu

6th grade reading program with reader + workbook... What's your favorite?

ereks mom

I've always been partial to the old BJU readers & workbooks with the bright green covers. Anyone even remember those??? They were kind of plain-- black & white drawings (few photos) and a littl red ink for contrast here and there. And they were so VERY thorough in their treatment of literary analysis from the early grades. Then the books wer updated--full color, some different stories (some the same)--but I actually MISS the old plain Jane-ness of the old books! SO... what's out there now that can compare for 6th grade? Rod & Staff?? CLE?? What else? Thanks!

We haven't used readers & workbooks until just recently....DD had a (very) short stint at a PS with an IS option.  It didn't work out for us BUT she discovered a literary analysis program that she absolutely loved from Teacher Created Resources, and from my view, was thorough, engaging and not too pricey.  I plan to get another unit with book for her to study - you can find them here... https://www.teachercreated.com/books/literature-units?level=6th-grade

I haven't taken a thorough look at it yet, so I'm not sure how 'open and go' it is (we received a bundle of photocopied pages from the teacher that DD worked through).  The sample pages don't provide a full perspective, but basically the books are divided up into 4 or 5 sections with activities suggested for each of those sections.  Some activities are for a single child, others are for small groups.  I get the impression it could be done 'big' or 'small'.

Is this the type of material you are looking for?

I look forward to hearing other responses and ideas, since lit analysis is something DD really seems to enjoy and I would love for her to continue on this streak!

Edited by Mimicoto
  • Like 1

Just wanted to clarify that what I am looking for is what we used to call a "basal reader."  I have several of the Teacher Created Resources book studies, but what I want is a reader with an accompanying workbook along the lines of this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BJU-Press-Reading-6-As-Full-As-The-World-SET-Text-Worktext-/221524796567?hash=item3393e82497:g:DrAAAOxyk99RyeMt. 

• Like 1

CLE might compare to the old BJU series you loved.  We love the CLE reading and have used grades 2nd thru 6th.  The readers are plain jane with few black and white pictures.  I just looked at the 6th grade reader, and the only color I saw was the titles of the stories.  I feel they do a very thorough job of literary analysis from a young age as well.  CLE has quite a few samples on their website that you can check out.

• Like 4

Christian Light Education Reading

These are about as "Plain Jane" as you can get, but they are wonderful for what (I think) you're aiming at with your group of students. CLE has diagnostic tests for Math and Language Arts, but none (that I know of) for Reading. However, they do have a downloadable Scope and Sequence that you can use to determine where to start -- check out page 25 and following, there are detailed descriptions of what is covered and when.

HTH.

• Like 1