Menu

PSA: self report geometry for UC

I know people worry about a-g and geometry requirements for U of California applications. Just spoke to an admissions rep in person after attending a presentation. For homeschooled geometry, self report on app and later provide transcripts if any when admitted. They will consider all course entries in the applications as fact. Provide additional context eg. mode of instruction in additional comments section.

HTH!

• Like 10

If your kids take out of the box courses be aware that only one might fit in applications course list as advanced math or discrete math. Eg you might only be able to include aops num theory as discrete math while count+prob will go into addtl comments box. Sorry on my phone.

Thanks for finding out.

*whew* less one headache for me.

Luckily for me, I have already filed my boys' last year's AoPS geometry class transcript into their "transcript collection" files :)

I heard this week that AoPS is pursuing a-g accreditation for their classes, and they recently were approved for 3 of their online classes: Intro Alg A&B and Geometry (more in the works). :)

• Like 9

I heard this week that AoPS is pursuing a-g accreditation for their classes, and they recently were approved for 3 of their online classes: Intro Alg A&B and Geometry (more in the works). :)

Thank you Kathy. It is too late for us but I would still love to hug them. :)

• Like 4

SAT subject test can be in a subject also taken at a CC via DE. Eg for science, ideally it should be in chem or bio if student DEs physics but not huge issue if in a repeated science subject like physics. Provide context wherever possible (addtl comments/pers statement).

• Like 4

Woot! Just checked the official UCOP Doorways  a-g approved courses list, and the AoPS Alg A & B and Geometry courses are there!

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 8

Woot! Just checked the official UCOP Doorways a-g approved courses list, and the AoPS Alg A & B and Geometry courses are there!

It starts from the 2016/17 school year. So for my kids, it would still fall under not a-g approved.

ETA:

Both of mine are not yet 7th so we aren't counting credits yet.

But just be aware Doorways does specify the years a course is a-g approved. So for the same course provider, courses can have different "expiry date" and renewal is not guaranteed.

Edited by Arcadia

It starts from the 2016/17 school year. So for my kids, it would still fall under not a-g approved.

ETA:

Both of mine are not yet 7th so we aren't counting credits yet.

But just be aware Doorways does specify the years a course is a-g approved. So for the same course provider, courses can have different "expiry date" and renewal is not guaranteed.

Yep. If a-g course approval is important to a family, it is definitely worth checking the official Doorways site each year to be sure to have the latest info. 

Woot! Just checked the official UCOP Doorways  a-g approved courses list, and the AoPS Alg A & B and Geometry courses are there!

Not sure how AoPS Introduction to Algebra B  gets full Algebra II credit?

It would be easier if AoPS re-did their books to better map to a traditional HS sequence somewhat Common Coreish.

AoPS Algebra First Course -  Honors CC Algebra 1 add some Probability to Introduction to Algebra book.

AoPS Algebra Second Course - Honors CC Algebra 2 by adding in some Trig and Probability/Stats to the Intermediate Algebra book.

(my names)

This would mostly be an exercise in editing for them - combining stuff.  They would not have to redo the problem sets etc.

They could still sell the other titles as well.