Menu

Writing and Grammar - 3rd grade

Bay Lake Mom

I have most of our plans figured out for next year, but I'm struggling to find a writing or grammar curriculum that I'm happy with.  We like to purchase our curriculum throughout the spring and summer to spread out the cost.  That is why I need to confirm my choices soon.

My daughter will be in 3rd grade.  We will be using HOD Bigger, but I do not like their choices for LA.  We will be using Spelling You See for spelling.  I have looked at Cathy Duffy's top picks, but it's so hard to understand how each program works and progresses.  I am also considering BJU Reading 3, though I'm not sold yet.  ;-) 

IEW - This looks great, and I've read great reviews (as well as many bad ones).  It looks like it would take a huge investment of time and money to just be able to teach this.  Is it really worth that investment at this age?

WriteShop - We tried using their primary level A book this year, but it just doesn't get done.  It seems to be a lot of writing and explanations (in the TM) for very little student work.  It's recommended to start with A, but it seems babyish.

BJU English - This seems solid, but very dry.  Exactly what I would expect from a "textbook".  I'm not against this, but I don't want to crush her interest before she even gets started.  Is it really as dry as it looks, or is it fun for the child?  Opinions? - This choice would also include grammar.  I like that they alternate chapters. (Ch1 grammar - Ch2 writing...)

I have no other ideas for grammar.  I don't want a charlotte mason type of grammar curriculum.  We don't need to study poetry and artwork because we're already doing those separately.  We just need a solid teaching of grammar. 

So, thoughts, ideas, opinions?  What are your favorite writing, grammar and reading programs and why?

My only experience is with BJU English -- one page, front and back, per day, in color -- I consider it short and sweet so am not sure what about it would look dry?  My kids have liked it fine, it is easy to get done.  We don't do it every year, and my goal is just exposure (aiming for mastery once they get a little older.)  

• Like 1

First Language Lessons includes things like poetry and picture studies.  I don't want a grammar program like that.  Thank you, though.

You could also easily skip those lessons if you didn't want them.  There aren't many picture studies.  There are about 6 poems suggested to memorize, so you could just make it 6 lessons shorter.

• Like 2

I've been using Growing With Grammar and BraveWriter projects for 2nd grade and liked it a lot, so I've planned to stick with it for 3rd (but grammar will come from Prima Latina that year instead of GWG).

I like GWG because it is to the point and clearly covers the concepts without a lot of fluff. I don't leave it for independent work... we discuss it daily and do the lesson together. Under ten minutes and I know if she gets it or not.

Then the BraveWriter projects I pick and choose from PW or JiD and we love them. Simple and fun and encourages love of writing.

It's been a great combo.

Of your choices I would say BJU English because it covers both subjects well and in a nice order. You could even do the online lessons which are fun to watch and save you time.

All my kids detest R&S. Talk about dry and overkill!

None of mine retained a thing from GWG. Too easy to plug and chug.

FLL is easy to modify leaving out the poetry. There aren't any picture studies that I recall in level 3 or 4.

Even my gifted child hated MCT because it was too "hippy-trippy". His words. He felt it was utterly ridiculous.

Grammar land is a fun short book all my boys liked. I think someone made a workbook to go with it?

I'm trying out English through Literature because I have tried everything else. I'm not sure we'll do the picture studies because my kids do other art.

The thing to remember about any curriculum is to make it work for you. Tweak it, shape it to fit what you need. No sense dismissing something that is otherwise great because it has one bit you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

Not super flashy, but definitely making those grammar concepts really stick, is CLE Language Arts. They include "some" writing instruction, but that can easily be skipped if you use something else for writing you like better.

ETA: We switched to this from BJU (my kids liked it, but weren't retaining anything), and we're loving how CLE's clear teaching and review is keeping those concepts fresh.

Edited by momtofive

IEW doesn't have to take a ton of time.  If you got the program ahead of time and just took a few minutes each day to watch the DVDs and familiarize yourself with the program it would be pretty easy to implement.  Very clearly laid out, expectations for student and teacher are easy to follow, etc.  The new version is much easier to implement than the old one, by the way.  

Also, you might look at Fix-It Grammar (new version, not old).  15 minutes a day, tops, plus it is set up to be done 4 not 5 days a week.  Super easy to implement, hardly any prep at all, and pairs beautifully with IEW.

Or you might look at CLE.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

IEW doesn't have to take a ton of time.  If you got the program ahead of time and just took a few minutes each day to watch the DVDs and familiarize yourself with the program it would be pretty easy to implement.  Very clearly laid out, expectations for student and teacher are easy to follow, etc.  The new version is much easier to implement than the old one, by the way.  

Also, you might look at Fix-It Grammar (new version, not old).  15 minutes a day, tops, plus it is set up to be done 4 not 5 days a week.  Super easy to implement, hardly any prep at all, and pairs beautifully with IEW.

Or you might look at CLE.

Thank you for sharing this.  I always read how students that use IEW generally have better writing skills and enjoy it more.  I don't know if this is true, but it seems to be most of the reviews.  I just looked at Fix It Grammar last night.  I love the idea of them actually "editing" real literature instead of generic textbook sentences.  I will definitely look more into both of these next week when I'm at convention.  -- I can't wait!!

• Like 1