Menu

Disney experts can you help me please? Please!?

EmmaNZ

I am overwhelmed with information!

My family of 7 have a trip planned for 8 days in May. The children will be 11, 9, 8, 5 and 3. We are staying in the animal kingdom villas, and have paid for the dining plan.

But what next? Do I need to reserve somewhere for us to eat every evening? What things do I need to make sure not to miss? I am not a great planner and certainly don't want a schedule for my holiday. When I look at Disney sites they all seem to plan out everything to the nth degree. I can see the advantage of a plan though - I just have no idea how to start making one.

Can you help me?

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have never stayed onsite, so I don't know much about the dining plan. Reservations are a good idea for any sit-down restaurant (as opposed to counter service).

Accept that your Disney vacation will go much better with a plan and a rough schedule. Then go buy The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, read it, and follow their advice.

• Like 1

At 180 days away from your trip you can start booking dining reservations.  MOST people will book ahead making this a necessity unless you have the counter service plan.  You are also going in a month that tends towards higher crowds.....

You also need to book your Fastpass selections for the rides.  Disney has changed things A LOT and made it where you have to at least have a barebones schedule unless you are a local like me and want to completely fly by the seat of your pants or you are willing to spend LOTS of time in line for your "must dos."   

Easywdw.com tells you which days during your trip you should go to each park. Here's the May calendar:

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/calendars/may-2016-walt-disney-world-crowd-calendar/

It also has "cheat sheets" for each park, giving you an idea what to do in what order and which rides you should FP. Use this as a guide.

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/cheat-sheets/disney-world-cheat-sheets-maps-touring-plans-and-wait-times-4/

As far as dining, we just looked at the restaurants and did some sit down lunches and some sit down dinners. We tried to eat in or near the parks we were touring each day.

Have a great time!

• Like 4

Yes to easywdw calendars. Pick your parks, then your food. Some places may be full already because you can start booking at 180 days, and you have a large party. For really popular places, you may try to split up if you really want to dine there. Then 60 days out, make your FastPass+ reservations. Easywdw has recs for those too.

Edited to change FP+ date

Edited by zoobie

I agree about using the crowd calendars to pick which days to spend in which parks. Then, I like to make a reservation for a late lunch at a sit down restaurant for each day we're going to be in the park. It is so wonderful to have a scheduled break built into the day. At Magic Kingdom, the Crystal Palace is nice because they have a pretty good buffet and there are characters that come around and greet the kids. At Epcot, the Japanese Steakhouse is a favorite of ours. Good food and relaxing entertainment the kids will enjoy while they wait for their meal. At the Animal Kingdom, we like to go to Rainforest Cafe. There are lots of other good places to eat, just thought I'd share some of our favorites to give you some ideas. I don't like the new fast pass system because I don't like to schedule my whole day around those, but I'd go ahead and sign up for the passes and see if they work for you. Have fun!

Here is how I do it. 

1) Choose which park on which day to visit using crowd calendars.  We do 2 days at Magic Kingdom, 2 days at Epcot and 2 and Animal Kingdom.

2)  Pick a sit-down (table service) restaurant you want in your park for each day.  I vary those -- sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner.  Log onto the WDW and make a reservation for that meal time and place.  It can be hard sometimes to get exactly what you want so be flexible.

3)  Write down which quick/counter service restaurants you most likely want to eat at on those same days, either lunch or dinner. 

5) consider bringing breakfast in your suitcase.  We packed cereal, granola bars etc.  and bought milk, bread and eggs at the small resort store.  Much easier than going out to eat for breakfast.

Since you are staying at AK, make sure one of your table service meals is Boma.  Book it for a night after Animal Kingdom.  Great food!

Edited by Shellydon
  • Like 2

You are going in two months, right?  You can make fast pass selections at 60 days from your check in date for the length of your trip.  That is coming up soon and some rides such as seven dwarfs and the anna and elsa meet and greet run out of fastpasses quickly once the window opens  Also, others who will be there at the same time as you have been making dining reservations for 4 months already, you need to jump on soon and make your dining reservations.

• Like 1

With that many kids, anything can happen. I would not reserve anything unless there is one spot that is a must see for you. Just meander through the parks and do what comes up.

The only preparation I would do is check online which days are early park admission. Stay away from that park that day unless you really like crowds. The only other thing I would do is get copies online of each park map. Get the older kids to tell you what rides are a must do for them. Pack something for each kiddo to do while standing in line. Nintendo 3D or books on tape is your friend. Make sure you have lots of sunscreen.

Remember, there is no way to do everything there is do to in one trip. DisneyWorld is a lifetime adventure. I have been over a hundred times and still see something new each time. Every trip will be fabulous if you are not rushed.

• Like 1

You are going in two months, right? You can make fast pass selections at 60 days from your check in date for the length of your trip. That is coming up soon and some rides such as seven dwarfs and the anna and elsa meet and greet run out of fastpasses quickly once the window opens Also, others who will be there at the same time as you have been making dining reservations for 4 months already, you need to jump on soon and make your dining reservations.

It's 60 now? They keep changing it! I hate those things. I don't want to decide so far ahead and if you don't, you're screwed. :(

With that many kids, anything can happen. I would not reserve anything unless there is one spot that is a must see for you. Just meander through the parks and do what comes up.

The only preparation I would do is check online which days are early park admission. Stay away from that park that day unless you really like crowds. The only other thing I would do is get copies online of each park map. Get the older kids to tell you what rides are a must do for them. Pack something for each kiddo to do while standing in line. Nintendo 3D or books on tape is your friend. Make sure you have lots of sunscreen.

Remember, there is no way to do everything there is do to in one trip. DisneyWorld is a lifetime adventure. I have been over a hundred times and still see something new each time. Every trip will be fabulous if you are not rushed.

But, if she doesn't make reservation for table service restaurants a head of time, she is very likely to have a very hard time finding somewhere to eat at the time they want/need to eat. Paying for the dining plan does not guarantee them having a convenient place to eat.

• Like 5

I'm a Disney travel agent. If you'd like to talk with me, feel free to message. I will tell you this, you need dining reservations asap for a group that size if you want sit-down meals with no long waits, and you need to be prepared to make fast passes pretty quickly as well.

I'd be glad to try and walk you through some of this if you'd like me to talk with you. My services are free.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 8

But, if she doesn't make reservation for table service restaurants a head of time, she is very likely to have a very hard time finding somewhere to eat at the time they want/need to eat. Paying for the dining plan does not guarantee them having a convenient place to eat.

That is a misnomer. But, is true for some places. The problem, however, is that Disney now charges if one cancels or even changes to another Disney restaurant in the day of service. That can be a real pain if one kid is having a meltdown, they are tied up in another park, or found something else to do. Why confine oneself to a stressful schedule?

Like I said, if there is a must do, reserve it. Otherwise, cut stress and enjoy the trip. Remember, with each time stamped to one's day, the more stressful the day. Disney can be exhausting to the detailed planners.

Yikes! Doing Disney this way would have stressed me so much that I think I would have stayed in the hotel. 

Plan, plan, plan, plan.  Having a set place to be one time a day helps make your day feel scheduled and pulled together. 

• Like 1

ps, I just got back two weeks ago and will be going again next week. The crowds are heinous. I got into every restaurant 2 weeks ago with 11 people and no reservations.

Odd.  Last time I went I saw at least 50 people turned away at every restaurant we went to because they did not have reservations.

• Like 2

Odd.  Last time I went I saw at least 50 people turned away at every restaurant we went to because they did not have reservations.

Us too. We were a party of 8 and had trouble getting reservations at 180 days, much less spur of the moment dinners.

Thanks for all the replies - it is really helpful. You actually all make it sound so doable! I have never, ever planned a holiday anymore than booking the accommodation in advance before so this is all new to me. I do see the reasons why, and like the idea of a late lunch planned into most days (I don't think I can handle planning every single day). Minniewannabe - you sound a lot like me! 

We have the one sit down meal and one counter service meal plan. 

With those kiddos, I would use two of your sit downs each (or whatever is required by your plan) and make reservations for two character dining experiences. I recommend breakfast at Ohanas and a late lunch at Norway if you have mostly girls. The castle dining is kind of cool, too, if you can make that reservation. The rest of the trip, I would wing it to cut down stress. One can really make a rushed, exhausting trip out of the happiest place on earth.

Now, if you want some romance, there is a little planning required. Drop the kiddos off at The Polynesian for childcare. Then, you and hubby walk over to The Grand Floridian. Along the way, hold hands while staring off at the castle. Hawaiian music will permeate the air as a nearby luau is underway. Walk past the wedding pavilion, where, hopefully, you will get a glance at Cinderella's coach whisking away a bride and groom. Have dinner at Citricos. Hopefully, there is still a bottle of Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvée hanging around. Afterwards, walk back and share a sundae at The Kona Cafe before picking up the kiddos. They will not want to leave, by the way.

Another fabulously romantic evening can be had at The Animal Kingdom Lodge by booking a safari and chef tasting. But, that is for your next trip.

Have a fabulous time! A great trip can be had by all, those who plan, and those who do not.

• Like 4

With those kiddos, I would use two of your sit downs each (or whatever is required by your plan) and make reservations for two character dining experiences. I recommend breakfast at Ohanas and a late lunch at Norway if you have mostly girls. 

No, mostly boys! Only one girl.

With that many kids, anything can happen. I would not reserve anything unless there is one spot that is a must see for you. Just meander through the parks and do what comes up. .

I can't disagree more. This advice is good for people with annual passes or those who go to Disney frequently, but for the rest of us, meandering leads to tired, cranky, exhausted kids and to spending all your time in line trying to see the stuff you want to see.

The people I know who ended up hating Disney are those who weren't there at rope drop and tried to wing it.

• Like 4

re virtues of looser plan

With those kiddos, I would use two of your sit downs each (or whatever is required by your plan) and make reservations for two character dining experiences. I recommend breakfast at Ohanas and a late lunch at Norway if you have mostly girls. The castle dining is kind of cool, too, if you can make that reservation. The rest of the trip, I would wing it to cut down stress. One can really make a rushed, exhausting trip out of the happiest place on earth.

Now, if you want some romance, there is a little planning required. Drop the kiddos off at The Polynesian for childcare. Then, you and hubby walk over to The Grand Floridian. Along the way, hold hands while staring off at the castle. Hawaiian music will permeate the air as a nearby luau is underway. Walk past the wedding pavilion, where, hopefully, you will get a glance at Cinderella's coach whisking away a bride and groom. Have dinner at Citricos. Hopefully, there is still a bottle of Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvée hanging around. Afterwards, walk back and share a sundae at The Kona Cafe before picking up the kiddos. They will not want to leave, by the way.

Another fabulously romantic evening can be had at The Animal Kingdom Lodge by booking a safari and chef tasting. But, that is for your next trip.

Have a fabulous time! A great trip can be had by all, those who plan, and those who do not.

I do something more like this too.  I understand the efficiency advantages of the minute-by-minute plans recommended in the Unofficial Guide, but in our family culture nobody is happy when I'm barking like a drill sergeant all day, least of all me.  FastPass cuts times substantially and it's worth doing but it generally works to dispatch one parent to run around getting FP to rides in the proximity while the rest of the family is standing in line... which frankly is more or less how it works out anyway even if you DO get FP in advance.

When we've gone, I've figured out in advance which park we'll go to each day (using the crowd predictor thing upthread) and aim for one sit-down Event per day, preferably with characters or entertainment.... and then wing the rest  Within the parks, we liked the character meal lunches at Norway and Crystal Palace (both Epcot) best; within the hotels the Floridian breakfast (which has the older British characters like Mary Poppins and Pooh), and Polynesian luau and AK boma for dinner; and -- no one but us ever seems even to GO to this, but we adore the Hoop-de-Doo at the Wilderness campground which could not be cornier but we all find it charming and adorable.

I'd second the advice for some breakfast-y snacks (bars, clementines, juice boxes, instant oatmeal) to keep in the hotel and schlep into the parks so you're not constantly wasting time because one or two kids are hungry.  And water bottles.

Have the little ones bring or wear bathing suits and a set of dry clothes -- there are fun spontaneous run-around fountains all over the place that are just delightful.

Be advised that except in Epcot most of the park restaurants don't serve wine or beer.  Which, uh, some of us rather enjoy after a long day in the park.  The hotel ones all do.

And lastly -- trust me on this -- rent one of the mondo reclining strollers for the 3 year old.  It'll be worth the cost just in helping you schlep all those snacks and water bottles and extra clothing and activities for the lines, and when (not if) one of the little ones veers toward exhaustion, they can actually nap.

• Like 2

When we've gone, I've figured out in advance which park we'll go to each day (using the crowd predictor thing upthread) and aim for one sit-down Event per day, preferably with characters or entertainment.... and then wing the rest  Within the parks, we liked the character meal lunches at Norway and Crystal Palace (both Epcot) best; within the hotels the Floridian breakfast (which has the older British characters like Mary Poppins and Pooh), and Polynesian luau and AK boma for dinner; and -- no one but us ever seems even to GO to this, but we adore the Hoop-de-Doo at the Wilderness campground which could not be cornier but we all find it charming and adorable.

I'd second the advice for some breakfast-y snacks (bars, clementines, juice boxes, instant oatmeal) to keep in the hotel and schlep into the parks so you're not constantly wasting time because one or two kids are hungry.  And water bottles.

I am almost never without snacks anyway!

Have the little ones bring or wear bathing suits and a set of dry clothes -- there are fun spontaneous run-around fountains all over the place that are just delightful.

Really handy to know, thanks

Be advised that except in Epcot most of the park restaurants don't serve wine or beer.  Which, uh, some of us rather enjoy after a long day in the park.  The hotel ones all do.

We don't drink so that's fine with us

And lastly -- trust me on this -- rent one of the mondo reclining strollers for the 3 year old.  It'll be worth the cost just in helping you schlep all those snacks and water bottles and extra clothing and activities for the lines, and when (not if) one of the little ones veers toward exhaustion, they can actually nap.

Can I bring my own stroller or do I have to rent one? I was planning on bringing ours from home to help at the airport etc

Great advice - appreciate it

• Like 1

You absolutely can bring your own stroller.  You'll want one that reclines enough for naps.  The rental ones are quite commodious, with loads of water bottle/coffee cup holders, and not crazy expensive -- maybe $5/day?  But if yours is big enough you'll be fine.

There are stroller rental companies that will deliver to and pick up from your resort, so you don't have to worry about dragging it through the airport or it getting crushed by the airline. They're much cheaper than renting in the parks. Disboards should have recs for companies. We drive and bring our own, but the rental companies use the same kind. (Baby Jogger)

• Like 2

Something free to do in the Magic Kingdom-  there is a Sorcerer's game in the park.  You get the cards at the firehouse in front of the park next to the barber shop.  My kids love playing it.

Download the disney park app on your phone.  Even though we make our dining reservations in advance, I check it daily when we are down there to see if anything opened up.  I scored a few good ones last year while in the parks.

In disney springs- Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich are very good. Both are these are quick service.  We try to go there once a trip. Disney Springs also has T-Rex.  Your kids would enjoy that.  The food is pretty good.  

Personally I would book several evenings at the onsite restaurants for the animal kingdom resort. You will be hungry and tired, and dinner there will allow you to have an easier evening. The restautants onsite are fine.

I think Disney restautants are grossly overrated in general. We stayed 9 days and ate at a number that get rave reviews. If you live in a town with a decent resaturant scene., you won't find them all that special in terms of food, though the atmosphere at some is great.

I am no Disney expert, but I think with kids that age, keeping it simple is best. You will need rest and regrouping, so I would make day plans but try to eat around your hotel at least every other night.

• 2 months later...

Easywdw.com tells you which days during your trip you should go to each park. Here's the May calendar:

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/calendars/may-2016-walt-disney-world-crowd-calendar/

It also has "cheat sheets" for each park, giving you an idea what to do in what order and which rides you should FP. Use this as a guide.

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/cheat-sheets/disney-world-cheat-sheets-maps-touring-plans-and-wait-times-4/

As far as dining, we just looked at the restaurants and did some sit down lunches and some sit down dinners. We tried to eat in or near the parks we were touring each day.

Have a great time!

We are going in October and this was super helpful for me. Thanks for sharing! 

As someone else suggested, you should buy the Unofficial book, or a condensed version, immediately, or sooner, and STUDY the material.  You should use their Trip Planner web site (we used the free part of their site for itinerary planning for the trip we made at the end of April 2016).  Immediately, after entering a park, you should go to the nearest FastPass+ machine and make your requests at that time.  Regarding the FastPass+ bands, which we did not buy ($2.99 a person), but you may have since you are staying on property, we were walking behind some people and my DD saw that the FastPass+ band fall off the wrist of the woman in front of us.   DD picked it up and returned it to her.  Bring bottles of water and stay hydrated.  Enjoy your trip! We were on 4 day Park Hopper tickets, which was an "upsell" and a wise investment. We used it 2 days.  One day, the day we planned to be in Epcot all day, we left Epcot early and that day we were in all 4 parks in WDW and then returned to Epcot to get our car.  Urgent that you also go to the 2 parks in Universal Orlando!  We spent 1 day in Universal Orlando but wish that we had spent 2 days there and one day less in WDW.  You must go to Universal Orlando too!

Looking at the ages of your DC, I think in WDW you will probably want to spend most of your time in Magic Kingdom and in Animal  Kingdom.  In Animal Kingdom, we especially enjoyed the show about birds, the River Raft Ride (you WILL get wet, possibly you will get soaked), we went on that 3 times, and the Safari ride.  If any of you are into Harry Potter, you need to have the tickets in Universal Orlando that permit you to go to both parks, so you can ride the train, and so you can see everything.   We enjoyed Epcot, when we were there in May 2000 (my wife was pregnant then), but this time it was a disappointment. Strong Urine smell near the entrance and it was hot and there was no shade.  My wife wanted to go to the U.S. Pavilion (we were in the one for Mexico or China at the time), to take an updated photo we'd taken 16 years ago, when she was pregnant, but it was just too hot to walk that far. DD wanted to buy something she'd seen in another park and my wife wanted to ride the Train in Magic Kingdom, which wasn't running the day we were there, so we went on WDW buses to the 3 other parks, so DD could buy what she wanted to buy and so we could ride the train.  In Hollywood Studios they have a ride that drops.  We went with DD through the line, but when we got to the top, where the riders get on, she decided not to go on that ride, so maybe on a future trip she will do that.  USE RESTROOMS BEFORE getting into long lines for attractions!   Also, on one Coaster, DD and I were seated in the car, ready to go, and they shut it down, so they could start up the other track (there were 2 tracks for that attraction), which they hadn't been able to start, or, did not start, earlier in the morning.  We were probably waiting approximately 15 minutes, seated in the car, before they sent us on our way. Your little ones will probably be fast asleep in their strollers, by mid afternoon.  

Edited by Lanny

Especially for your youngest 2, I suggest that you buy Harnesses for them and that you use them. It is VERY easy to lose a kid.  Have a plan about where to go, if you get separated. The youngest ones will not understand that, but hopefully your older DC will understand the plan.  For example, if we get separated, we go back to the last place where everyone was together.

Edited by Lanny