Menu

Help with SOS Spanish 1, please

Ds(9th) is having a hard time with this program. He is getting an okay grade(91%) but is struggling mightly it takes him at least an hour to get through a lesson. We haven't even done it since Christmas break was over. I know we need to get back to it so he can get through it.

The problem is if he has any questions or doesn't get something I'm no help to him. About the only thing I can do is look up the answer but I can't tell him why. He is only up to the end of the second unit and it is very difficult. He feels like he is just not really learning anything but just guessing.

How do you help your dc with this? I know I should be doing it too, so I can help him. That is a great idea in theory. LOL But I also have a 7th grader and a 4th grader and there just isn't enough time for me to do it all. I've thought about switching to Rosetta Stone but I have heard SOS is so wonderful.

Any thoughts? Is it just us that is struggling with this program? Would love to hear how some of you use this program. Maybe we aren't using it to it's fullest?????

Help.

Tina

Ds(9th) is having a hard time with this program. He is getting an okay grade(91%) but is struggling mightly it takes him at least an hour to get through a lesson. We haven't even done it since Christmas break was over. I know we need to get back to it so he can get through it.

The problem is if he has any questions or doesn't get something I'm no help to him. About the only thing I can do is look up the answer but I can't tell him why. He is only up to the end of the second unit and it is very difficult. He feels like he is just not really learning anything but just guessing.

How do you help your dc with this? I know I should be doing it too, so I can help him. That is a great idea in theory. LOL But I also have a 7th grader and a 4th grader and there just isn't enough time for me to do it all. I've thought about switching to Rosetta Stone but I have heard SOS is so wonderful.

Any thoughts? Is it just us that is struggling with this program? Would love to hear how some of you use this program. Maybe we aren't using it to it's fullest?????

Help.

Tina

This is one reason we switched to Lifepacs for Spanish II. SOS is great if the student can do well with it independently. But my son needed to interact with a live person (me) and thus I needed a resource (the workbooks) where I could easily find the material to discuss with him.

I really wouldn't recommend using Lifepacs for both Spanish I and II because there's really not enough listening or speaking (not NEARLY enough) in the Lifepac format.

it is a rigorous course and works best for an independent, academically-minded student who meshes with computer instruction. I knew it would not work for middle ds, who needs a lot more interaction to learn effectively.

Jean in WI had some tips about working through this program, but she also has a degree in Spanish so she definitely has an advantage.;) I believe she let her kids do the tests open book--I'm thinking that meant open notebook, since there is no book, lol! Is your ds doing the notebooking? I think that is very important reinforcement to the computer-based lessons.

I wish I had something more tangible to offer.

But my 2nd child is not as independent with SOS as my 1st. So I understand your question.

I'd suggest your son write his questions down and come here (this board) with them. There are plenty of us who are willing to answer them.

I find that I need to make my son conjugate the verbs in his notebook and that has helped him use them in the computer program. Also, when I answer his questions each day, he can continue to move forward--that is why I say he needs to ask.

Any of us who can, I'm sure, would help to get him through it if he is willing to ask.

I have a son who is struggling also - as am I. I really thought I was ready for the first quiz (LOL) and didn't bomb it but scored a really solid C. I'm scared because it's only the first quiz (my son got a D). We did it closed book but would it be acceptable to do open notes on these?

I don't want to cheat but it seems that the computer grading is just a little too strict sometimes - I guess in the finaly analysis I do want to cheat the computer just a little :).

Janet

Sorry to intrude on this board, but my son is in the same boat as Tina's, and he would sure love some help. So far he is doing well, but we know it is going to get tough. Some help would sure be appreciated.

Jean, should he post his questions here on the high school board, or is there a better place?

Question #1:

My dd and ds did/is doing it open notebook--meaning if they wrote it into their notebook, they could use it on the tests and quizzes. They still have to understand what they are doing. They still have to conjugate the verbs correctly. They still have to translate and do the work.

There is too much vocab in this program! There is too much emphasis on perfect spelling and accents. This is my opinion, though.

I might be more concerned if my dd had struggled in college. After doing 1.5 years of SOS Spanish I/II, she tested out of the equivalent of 3 high school years of Spanish. She took 3rd semester Spanish in college anyway, concerned that she had only done 1.5, not 3 years(!!), and she got an A-. She hates doing Spanish, but it was a school requirement. Her teacher asked her if she would consider majoring in Spanish--she seemed to be a "natural." LOL! My dd said nothing in the college class was "new"...although, because the teacher is a native speaker, she taught her a lot about the written language and such, and taught more general understanding and usage.

My ds got an 85% on his last test. He simply never figured out the ir+a+infinitive. I even sat down and taught it to him. LOL! I think it is called, "I hate Spanish" and "turn off brain..."

So....as far as the notebook--do as you want. I don't think the open notebook caused problems here.

Question #2:

Asking Spanish questions here?

If they are every day, then we probably need to find another spot. I'm too rusty with my Spanish (haven't used it in 30 years) to be the best teacher. I'm also not a native speaker. I did major in Spanish all those so-many-years ago, though, so a lot of the basic Spanish is easy to do for me.

If it is once a week--easy to do here.

Other ideas? Is there a yahoo group for this anywhere already? I wouldn't be surprised if there was--just someone willing to answer Spanish questions for those with questions...

Or---what about the TWTM Spanish board. Would they consider expanding it into a question/answer board for these types of questions?

???

Whatdayathink?

I would be happy to help with questions as I have time. I don't want to raise the expectations, though. There will be days when I will not be able to help. I tend to log in at the end of the day when my brain is well and truly fried and I have no energy left.

The Spanish board would be the perfect place for this.

Thank you all very much. I sat down with ds and looked through his notebook and he just isn't taking enough notes. I agree that part of it is his attitude, I hate Spanish and this is stupid, he also hates taking notes.

Well he liked it at the very beginning when it was easy. LOL We are going to try to keep plugging along. Making sure ds takes plenty of notes and let him use them for the test.

Thank you all for your help. Jean and Mabelen I truly appreciate letting us come to you if we have questions.

I have a couple of more questions. What is the best Spanish/English dictionary and is there a book that helps with conjugating the verbs?

Since we will probably only finish half of this program this year should I award him half a credit and call is Spanish 1a on his transcript?

Thanks so much.

Blessings,

Tina

I have a couple of more questions. What is the best Spanish/English dictionary and is there a book that helps with conjugating the verbs?

Since we will probably only finish half of this program this year should I award him half a credit and call is Spanish 1a on his transcript?

Thanks so much.

Blessings,

Tina

I sat down on the floor of Borders a few weeks ago and sorted through their Spanish books. My choices were:

Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary/Diccionario Espanol-Ingles

ISBN 0-87779-916-4

The Big Red Book of Spanish Verbs

ISBN 0-658-01487-0

This book comes with a CD if you want to buy it--don't think I'd use it.

I went over to the Tablero de Latino (TWTM Parent's Spanish Board)--looks like there would be some good help there for any of your questions. I'm willing to help with as much as I can--and I'll keep an eye on that board as much as I can.

:)

Thanks, Jean, for the reply.

I agree about the notes. It gives them more incentive to take really good ones, too.

How about if I just let my son ask questions here when he has really specific ones, and then if he does this often and it becomes too much, then maybe move it to the Spanish board or find another forum? You know how boys are often of little words. I don't think he will do it excessively, but I would sure like him to have the option. He is inclined to use being stuck as an excuse to stop.

I have the same issue with the transcript, but I also have the half semester in public school.

Here is something for a little comic relief... the One Semester of Spanish Love Song... enjoy! :p

Thanks again ladies for the resources I will check them all out.

Jean, I you said your daughter did 1.5 years of SOS Spanish. How many

credits did you give her for this? I'm thinking it will probably take us 3 years (at least) to get through SOS I and II do you think it is worthy of

3 credits? How did you list it on your dd's transcript?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Blessings,

Tina

Thanks again ladies for the resources I will check them all out.

Jean, I you said your daughter did 1.5 years of SOS Spanish. How many

credits did you give her for this? I'm thinking it will probably take us 3 years (at least) to get through SOS I and II do you think it is worthy of

3 credits? How did you list it on your dd's transcript?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Blessings,

Tina

I was going to make my dd finish SOS II and give her 2 credits. After she tested out of the equivalent of 3 years, I let her quit at the 1.5 and gave her 2 credits. As a former Spanish major, I KNOW that 1.5 years of SOS should not be 3 semesters of college!

I plan to have my 2nd child finish SOS I & II, and then I will have him read something--perhaps a book of the Bible or a short story/book in Spanish. I will give him 3 credits for that.

Jean