Menu

Oh,my....My DD11 is on Buzzfeed today!

Dmmetler

She's very excited! I suspect a big part of school today will be watching social media.

I will put in a plug for twitter. I own her account, and I moderate closely, but it's really been a good thing for her. It appears to be one of the most common communications tools for grad students doing research to chat to each other, and they've included her quite readily (and she's met a lot of these folks in person-so they know she's a kid, and that mom is keeping an eye on things). In many respects, it's kind of like she has a couple of dozen big sisters (and a few brothers).

• Like 14

That is totally awesome.

And you can tell her that in large part to your & her posts/photos here, I have gotten so much better about dealing with my snake phobia. So, thank you. I was able to go through the Buzzfeed link without problem. (A few years ago, there would have been no way I could make it through a collection of photos like that!)

Keep up the great work!

• Like 3

The yoga snakes are just being silly. All snakes look for good basking spots, but water snakes take it to an extreme-you can find favorite spots that dozens will just heap up to get sun, and while most snakes get more active when they're warm, they're often very calm and relaxed Still wouldn't do it-water snakes aren't venomous, but if they suddenly had something happen to NOT relax them, are pretty bitey!

Good for her!

I didn't quite shudder at the photos, but a few were wince-worthy. The animals with legs were cute, and I survived the snake photos. I've made progress - like a PP, thanks in part to your posting here. Previously I held the opinion that the only good snake was a dead snake. But, I've grown thanks to you and your DD.

• Like 2

That's so fun! 

And great to put out there, people really need to SEE things before they truly believe them sometimes (females with varied interests and abilities.). Even I felt a flash of surprise at picture after picture, although I would have just nodded, of course, if told x number of females  are into herpetology. 

• Like 1

It's not quite 50/50, but I would say that among current grad students at meetings, it's about 70/30, while if you look at the people who are my age and older, it's probably more like 90/10-or even 95/5.  And those women really, really support each other. The hashtag and the number of women who are weighing in is just demonstrating something that has been the case for awhile. Herp girls stick together, and the prior generation definitely supports and encourages the current and next generation.