Menu

Need something to help with reading comprehension 8th grade

MrsRobinson

Asking for a friend...

8th grade, always homeschooled, dd has trouble with reading comprehension. She reads fluently but can't explain what she's just read. Mom has waited it out but now with high school looming, she's looking for something to help.

Looking for something inexpensive if possible. Format doesn't matter. Lots of both real books and tech in this family. Open and go, easy to implement for a working mom of many.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, hive!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to figure this out for my son as well.  I have used these books when I taught reading to adult learners who were reading at a 5th grade reading level and they were so helpful. I liked that the books were small and focused on one skill.  I am unsure if they translate well to the home environment with a middle schooler though.  For now, we are using Reading Detectives (the computer version because it is interactive) and he likes it, which is great.  But I want to work on specific targeted skills in reading.

• Like 1