Menu

Dealing with my own math deficiencies

So, I am working through RightStart levels B and C with my two kiddos, 6 and 9. I really like the program, I'm fine with the prep work part of it, and the kids seem to be understanding what to do and enjoying math. Mama is the one having issues! Lol.

I am really lacking in confidence that I can teach them well, going forward. My own math education was dismal, and I barely, barely passed my college math course which was required for graduation. I have a LOT of fear/anxiety/feelings of inadequacy about math. I literally feel physically anxious on Mondays, when I know I've got a week of math ahead, and feel great relief on Fridays when I know I get to leave it behind for two days. I feel ashamed that I'm 37 and I can't calculate a tip on a bill or do mental math. I avoid having to do those things…it's like being illiterate and trying to hide it. I absolutely don't want to pass that on to my kids. My goal is to help them have a great grounding in number sense and be able to move through math with the fluency I totally lack. And, honestly, I'd like to get better at math myself! I don't see us hiring a math tutor until higher levels, if needed, or perhaps my husband will take over math lessons. I need and want to be a good math teacher for them myself.

I'd love any thoughts and input you might have on getting over my own issues, understanding numbers better, gaining confidence, etc. I need ideas for how to address this in the day to day…I can't take time out to take community college math classes;)

What about shopping for a math curriculum for yourself? I picked up some math curriculum for myself. It's easy enough for me to do a page or two per day and is a good refresher course for me. I can't put in the time or energy to do much more than a little every day, but I figure reviewing will help me to teach better and will also give me a head's up when it gets to something that I either struggle with understanding or simply detest. Then I'll know that I probably ought to plan on outsourcing, if I can't get it or can't stand it. 

• Like 7

I am right there with you!  There are things in my son's 2nd and 3rd grade math that have been new to me!  I don't know what I was doing during 12 + years of math education, but I obviously wasn't paying attention.  I didn't even have my math facts memorized until I had to drill my dd on them.  Like you, I'd be embarrassed and try to hide my inability to do simple mental calculations.

I always do math lessons with my kids because a lot of it, I'm learning, too.  If I sent them off to do it alone, I would get left behind.  When my dd started 3rd grade, I used Strayer-Upton for her.  I was sick of feeling stupid and having her come up with the answers faster than me, so I went ahead and worked through the book myself at night.  Being an adult, I was able to finish up the book fairly quickly, and have learned more than I ever learned in school.  When we reached the second Strayer-Upton book, I again started to work through it, but didn't finish it.  I regretted that and am now working through it and then plan on starting the third book.  Next, I have an algebra book on deck that I am quickly running out of time to finish before she gets there.

I really love the Strayer-Upton books because they are 3 compact and inexpensive little books that cover all you need to know about arithmetic.  It focuses quite a bit on mental math, and I no longer feel like a fool figuring out a tip, or how best to divide a group of kids into groups. 

• Like 2

Another option would be get a used college textbook.  I don't have a specific one to recommend, but when I went to community college, I had to take the remedial class.  I think it covered everything, starting from a pretty basic level.  It didn't do much about my lack of elementary concepts, but it did help with later concepts. 

I feel the same way. My mental math skills improved significantly when I taught RS B to my oldest. He gets math in a way I never did. My youngest seems to be following in his footsteps. Now my oldest is doing Beast Academy and I feel like a dope half the time. I'm so thankful for the guide and the answer key! The other day he was doing a page on distributive property and I was learning along side of him. I was showing my husband that night what he'd been working on and it suddenly clicked in my head what the algorithm I'd learned in school actually meant. My pathetic math education is why I sought out a different way to teach my kids math and why I'm so confused by the masses of people who act like the way math was taught before was so amazing. It definitely didn't work for everyone!

• Like 2

One great place to start is Ron Aharoni's Arithmetic for Parents. It's written by an Israeli math professor who turned his attention to elementary mathematics and discovered a renewed appreciation for it. Reading it feels like a kindly and enthusiastic uncle is walking you through all of elementary math, step by step. It will help you understand why all those standard algorithms (for things like multi-digit multiplication or division) work and better understand how to teach the basic operations. 

And you might also be encouraged by the book Mindset. It's not specifically about math, but it's been such an encouragement to me to know that it's okay to be a learner and that it's okay to struggle through the learning process. (I wrote a review and post about my own struggles with cultivating a growth mindset here.) It's really okay to learn along with your kids, and RightStart is a great tool for that.  

• Like 2

I know exactly how you feel. My solution has been to learn right along with them. We are using MiF and Beast Academy and I do all the problems right along with my son. I have not needed to use the TM at all. I understand and enjoy math more than I ever have in my life. I had so much anxiety surrounding it that what would happen is I would freeze up and not even attempt to figure something out in the past. Now I have conceptual knowledge that I didn't before. If I don't understand something we look it up on Kahn Academy. I am honest about not knowing something and having him show me how he came up with an answer. The upside is that he has such great understanding with math as a language and he enjoys us doing it together. Despite my own doubts, being transparent in my shortcomings has been really helpful for our relationship. I plan to learn right along with them for as long as it works and get help when I need it.

• Like 3

I am also working through Khan Academy - it feels like a game, they give hints if you need them, there are explanatory videos, and it's FREE.

It goes from K-5 all the way through multivariable calc, with some test prep math and "recreational math" thrown in there just for fun. We LOVE talking about the probability / statistics riddles at dinner time. :)

• Like 2

Right there with you, though I have one who is through RS and now into MM5. I have learned so much by working ahead of her, though I will never be a math person who understands it intuitively. I feel cheated when I look back at my own math education! Why didn't anyone teach me these things, this way?!  

I am currently working through Tablet Class Pre-Algebra in hopes of being able to walk my kids that far with some degree of excellence. It is a very good course with lots of helps and the teacher responds quickly to any questions. It is a recorded video class that costs only $50 on sale. I think they have all high school math courses? 

Have you read Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma? Inspired me to ensure that my kids understand math. :)

I expect to outsource high school math because I want my kids to have someone who LOVES math and understands it thoroughly to inspire and teach them, but I will continue to learn with them!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

I need a calculator. I cannot do basic math in my head, I still sometimes count on my fingers. I somehow managed to pass college algebra. (I took my final a couple days after she was born but that's another story.) My daughter is so much better at math than me. I've been playing around with Khan Academy and we both like the Danica McKellar books.

I do every lesson with my kids. I work the problems, and take the tests. I've relearned a ton and can explain things to them on the spot since I just worked the problems. Yes, sometimes my kids have to explain things to me, but I think it's a good thing - for both of us! Today dd explained a couple things I've been banging my head over,and it was super helpful. If I needed to, I would work one lesson ahead so I could explain things and understand it myself. We used Horizon k-6, and Saxon algebra 1/2 and up after that. Saxon's solutions manuals are great - they show all the steps so it's easy to break down what you don't understand.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 3

^ Agreeing with Liping Ma's book - it's short, easy to read, but powerful stuff.

I also did all the work with my kids, from Singapore 1A-6B; I sometimes tutor high school kids for test prep, and ironically, the thing they find most impressive about my "math skills" is my (Singapore-learned) ability to add / subtract / multiply numbers in my head. Doing it with them made me able to explain the "why," too (the Singapore system was new to me, so I *had* to learn it with them - I'm so glad I did, too!).

My own math education was "adequate" - sound, by many measures, but with none of the magic. (I also was allowed to believe early on that girls are not naturally good at math; only in my late 30's have I been able to believe that is not true. I realize how narrow-minded that sounds, but - it's true. And I am DETERMINED to give my own girls the "magic" of math, and I will pay whatever it takes to open that door for them. They may or may not choose to go through it, but it will be open to them. $.02 )

• Like 4

I was an excellent math student through high school calculus, then did no formal math until teaching my kids at home (despite two college degrees). I worked through MM 1-7 with my kids and only NOW do I feel like I really have fact mastery and truly understand elementary math. It has been great for my kids to see me become a math enthusiast, even if my mental math isn't as good as theirs!

Work alongside your kids to remediate your own math weakness. It will better equip you as a teacher, and you'll serve as a great role-model as a lifelong-learner.

• Like 4

I love all the supportive comments! I'd also recommend Khan Academy. You get to earn badges!

Just one note on your stress level: I think that seeing mom work on her own education, hearing mom acknowledge that she doesn't know the answer but she'll figure it out with you, recognizing that mom reaches far beyond her area of comfort to teach you - these are priceless lessons for a child. So you can relax! You're doing great.

• Like 5

Just one note on your stress level: I think that seeing mom work on her own education, hearing mom acknowledge that she doesn't know the answer but she'll figure it out with you, recognizing that mom reaches far beyond her area of comfort to teach you - these are priceless lessons for a child. So you can relax! You're doing great. 

I agree. 

• Like 1

What about working ahead in the curriculum you choose for your kids?  That would have the benefit of you being able to evaluate it as a teaching tool in advance.  Alternately, you can get a text written to the student that has lots of video or customer service support (Saxon, for example).

My math understanding wasn't bad, but school was 30+ years ago so I've forgotten a lot. I'm reallying enjoying doing math along with my dc. It's motivating for them, and I'm keeping my brain functioning and active, which is a GREAT thing! ;)

I have a math expert in the house, my dh, so I'll often ask him questions to deepen my own understanding. I'll also ask him to explain specific things to the dc. I also use on-line resources, like Kahn Academy and Art of Problem Solving (their website has teaching videos for Pre-Algebra and Algebra topics, which are excellent!).