Menu

Halfway through Physical Science and "emergency" homeschooling

Guest rebobinar

Guest rebobinar

Hello all,

I have had homeschool experience in the past, and am planning to homeschool next year. My kids have been in a classical school for the inbetween years. I think I mostly have things worked out, except for my 9th grader.

She's a bright, science minded kid, but we had to pull her out of school halfway through the year for depression and anxiety. She's been nearly non-functional for weeks, and with medication and therapy is just starting to pull out of it. I have her finishing Geometry with Life of Fred, which she loves. And I'm handling her humanities classes, but am unsure how to "finish" 9th grade science. She wants to be ready to take Bio next year through our co-op/alt learning school, and I'm at a loss as far as finding a curriculum or book to finish out the year. I'm teaching full time for the rest of the year, so I can't be home to supervise a lot of it, and she's still pretty broken, but worried about getting behind.

Any advice about what to do with 9th grade science? She was hoping for something like LoF she could just work through, but her current high school text book pretty much triggers a panic attack, as do most things that remind her of her previous school.

Thanks for any responses!

Robin

I would give her a half credit for the work she did in school and completely switch gear and have her explore a science field of her choice. She could do a one semester study of astronomy, or geology, or some field of life science she is interested in. I do not know anything similar to LoF, but maybe you could find her a textbook for one of these, or an online lecture series (there are free options available), or have her use non fiction library books for an informal study.

This said, if she is still emotionally fragile and needs an easier load, you could also let the half credit stand and then either have her complete another extra half credit at some later point, or just have her graduate with 3.5 credits in science.

Whatever you do, if the book is anxiety provoking, I would find it best to switch to a completely different topic.

Best of luck!

• Like 9

I agree with regentrude on this. She really doesn't need science prep for a biology course and 3.5 years of science is totally acceptable. In fact, in many colleges, 3 years is enough.  So, you can breathe a sigh of relief and just do what's best for your daughter this year.

If she wants to do a science anyway there are many resources out there for environmental science and geology that could be self taught.  We used New Beginnings "The Rainbow" for 8th and 9th grade. 8th was general science followed by environmental in 9th. My daughter was able to do it entirely on her own in just a few hours a week and actually learned a lot. It was fun and not stressful.  It might not be considered as difficult of science as others, but she moved on to and an outside provider using Apologia Biology in 10th, Advanced Biology in 11th and Chemistry in 12th and did great. And there were no issues with college admissions.

Edited by DebbS
  • Like 2

I completely agree with Regentrude. There is no science prerequisite for Biology, so whatever she does the rest of this year will be fine.

I would throw out there there Life of Fred Chemistry as an option. I'm not sure how math heavy it is. I have it, but we didn't end up using it. Anyway, depending on what she has done so far in Physical science, she could work through the first few chapters to finish out her Physical Science credit, or if she has already done quite a bit of Chem, she could work through as far as she gets and call it introduction to Chemistry in stead of Physical Science.

• Like 1

Do you know the book she used in school? You could just have her finish it. Make some easy quizzes or test or better yet, just have her do some end of chapter project to assess her knowledge. 

Or give her 1/2 credit and spend the rest of the time watching science videos to prepare for biology. 

Do you know the book she used in school? You could just have her finish it.

The OP clearly stated

"but her current high school text book pretty much triggers a panic attack, as do most things that remind her of her previous school."

Under these circumstances  "just having her finish the book she used in school" seems a bad idea.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

What are her interests? Not just science topics, other topics as well — e.g. if she's interested in horses, she could do an equine science sort of thing; if she likes cooking, there's kitchen chemistry; if she's an artist there's anatomy for artists or the science of color, etc. There are lots of free online courses at EdX, Coursera, iTunes U and sites like that, so if you post some topics she might be interested in, we can probably recommend some things she can do on her own, with minimal output. 

• Like 1

Guest rebobinar

Thank you so much for your responses. It's really helpful to know that 3.5 years of science would not be a major loss.

Her interests are microbiology (she loves micro organisms, especially ones found in water and was hoping she could do something with this and her microscope)

She also loves art, sculpting, word work, and anything to do with the brain.

The catch is that because of her illness right now, reading and writing is tough for her. Her geometry is going well. She was going to finish her novel for her writing work, but she just can't, so she's doing a graphic novel and that seems to be ok. She's very given to panic attacks and feelings of failure, so while she's bright, I'm trying to keep things very straightforward for her right now.

Thank you again for any suggestions. :)

Maybe you could create a course called something like "The Scientific Method" and do science fair like projects in her areas of interest but without the science fair stress. You wouldn't have to do the display boards or formal presentations or anything like that. And she could do various kinds of project - she wouldn't have to stick with just one type of science.  The course would teach her how to start with a hypothesis, how to prepare for and test that hypothesis and how to record her lab work and lab results which might even include some art work as an added bonus. There are books out there with science fair project suggestions that she could look at and decide what she might want to try.  If it causes too much stress, you could choose to not continue and you wouldn't have invested in a whole science curriculum.

Just for something fun to do science wise, my teen did Ellen McHenry's The Elements in middle school just before high school.  He and his brother both enjoyed it, and he had a good grasp of the elements and periodic table before hitting high school sciences.   While the ages on the program indicate middle school, a good amount of the content also in the first half of high school chemistry.

• Like 1

Physical Science includes topics like Weather, Oceanography, and Geology in addition to Chemistry and Physics.

NOAA has an online Weather course that we found interesting.  http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/

For Oceanography, she might enjoy the Blue Planet video series.  I used this book one year.  I like the layout of the series, because each pair of pages covers a topic.  It makes it easy to pick up and put down.  Science 101: Ocean Science  Our library had several of the books in the series.

Nature Study might be a good choice.  Barb at Handbook of Nature Study has Outdoor Challenges that guide people through observing whatever nature is available in their own area.  

What about books that are high level picture books?  I'm thinking of things that would have solid science and explanations, but wouldn't require a lot of concentration.

One Small Square series

Scientists in the Field series

Or interesting books that are science related, but more narrative.  (Some of these might be available on audio, which might relieve the burden of reading right now.)

Wicked Plants

What Einstein Told his Cook

The Violinist's Thumb

There have been some past threads about teaching students with concussions that might have some good ideas, too.

I pulled my son out of school midyear last year for depression and anxiety.  One thing we found, in the beginning is that he easily because overwhelmed by multiple subjects, and by switching between them and juggling assignments.  So, at first, I had him do just one subject.  He did a semester of Anatomy and Physiology in a asynchronous online class.  When that finished,  in a couple months, we tried 2 subjects with one being health (super easy), and he other being English.  Then he did the second semester of English and the second semester of A&P, gradually we built up to taking 3 classes and some extracurriculars at a time.  

Could you try something like that?  Finish LOF, do some Humanities, and put science on the back burner.  Maybe by April she'll be able to tackle something more interesting.

• Like 1

If she likes to draw, she might be interested in using this course for a Human Anatomy credit. It teaches you to draw the human body from the "inside out," starting with the skeleton, adding all the individual muscles, then skin. It's very well done; I think it's about $50 for the complete course. She could add the Anatomy & Physiology lectures from the Great Courses / Teaching Company (don't pay the list price — first check your library, then look for used copies on Amazon or ebay, or wait for it to go on sale @ 70% off). There are probably some free anatomy lectures online somewhere, too, I just haven't looked — check Coursera, iTunes U, youtube, etc.

• Like 3

Could she just watch documentaries on science-related topics of interest?  I assume you're trying to complete a physical science credit, which is fairly all encompassing.  If either of you feels she needs to produce some output, maybe she could write a short summary or response paragraph on each?  Or draw something related to the documentary?  It is homeschool, after all.  You get to pick output.

Netflix has a whole bunch of Science and Nature docs.  Really fun ones, like Brain Games, too.

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 1

Guest rebobinar

Wow, thank you for all the responses! The documentary idea is fabulous. She loves watching science documentaries and could easily summarize some for me. I'll look into what might round out this credit.

She's also in love with the Wicked Plants book and the Anatomy and Physiology/Drawing idea. She loves to draw and is really interested in learning the human form and the poses. She thinks it's just a bit beyond her capability right now, with her illness, but we're going to shoot for that in the next month or so.

It's so helpful to know I'm not alone in this undertaking or in her specific issues.

Thank you!

Edited to add... those NIH materials look fabulous. I know she'd love the information on Neurobiology and Genetics. Thank you! One of the courses she really wanted to take at the local public high school next year looks identical to the Neurobiology and Addiction course here. I know she'd love to work through this material at her own pace. Thanks!!

Edited by rebobinar

Wow, thank you for all the responses! The documentary idea is fabulous. She loves watching science documentaries and could easily summarize some for me. I'll look into what might round out this credit.

She's also in love with the Wicked Plants book and the Anatomy and Physiology/Drawing idea. She loves to draw and is really interested in learning the human form and the poses. She thinks it's just a bit beyond her capability right now, with her illness, but we're going to shoot for that in the next month or so.

It's so helpful to know I'm not alone in this undertaking or in her specific issues.

Thank you!

Edited to add... those NIH materials look fabulous. I know she'd love the information on Neurobiology and Genetics. Thank you! One of the courses she really wanted to take at the local public high school next year looks identical to the Neurobiology and Addiction course here. I know she'd love to work through this material at her own pace. Thanks!!

I'm glad some of it seems helpful.  

If she likes the Wicked Plants book, she might like to do the Botany course that is at the Guest Hollow website.  I checked out some of the books on the syllabus, and while they are kids' picture books, they often have really good info in them.  If you could pair this with actually growing some plants, it would be awesome.  Working with the plants and maybe being outside (I'm in Hawaii; I'm not sure if it's still winter where you are.) might be a very hopeful and joyful thing.  

I would think that a science choice that she finds restful, interesting, joyful or peace-bringing would trump other content issues at the moment.  I have a plant guy, but I was also thinking of other courses that might involve time outdoors (weather, geology, physical geography or oceanography) or observing animals.  

You could even do a "contemporary topics in science" semester course and draw from a bunch of science related current events type stuff.  Gravitational waves, Zika virus, vaccinations, etc.  The content of one semester of a science course isn't going to be a make or break thing for high school, imho.

I hope the meds help and she gets her feet back under her soon.  Hugs to you too.

• Like 2

I think she could stop science for the year.

If you feel the need (or there's some requirement in your state) to finish out science and she wants to do bio next I think ending with a semester of basic chemistry would probably be most helpful. (This would also be considered part of a physical science course).

What about working through the Chem chapters of the CK12 Physical Science (it's free online, integrated videos, some quizzes, worksheets, and other learning activities)? Or even doing Ellen McHenry Carbon Chemistry?

Agreeing with previous posters about either dropping science, or keeping science interest-driven and light to allow for health recovery!!

Since she would love to work with her microscope right now, what about Kym Wright's Microscope Adventure unit? That would be an awesome prep for next year's Biology. :) You might also peruse the Eclectic Homeschooler's big list of resources on doing a Microbiology unit -- while the materials are geared for late elementary/middle school, that might actually be a big bonus for your this year, as the amount of reading would be smaller -- easier for you to read aloud to DD -- and would allow DD to dip in as she would like, without being overloaded.

Since books/reading are out right now… What about just watching the Teaching Company Joy of Science lecture series? Or watch a bunch of Nova and Mythbuster episodes? I know that last one sounds flippant, but our DSs absorbed a *ton* of physics and chemistry concepts from Mythbusters with no stress what so ever.

Or, since Microbiology is of high interest, here are some other science video/website ideas on that topic:

Cells Alive!

Annenberg Learner: Unseen Life on Earth: An Introduction to Microbiology

WNet School: Introductory Microbiology (lesson plan for high schoolers)

Microbiology Bytes

Greg's Educational on Vimeo

So sad to hear about the health issues! BEST wishes for good healing and for success, whatever you and DD decide to do to close out this school year. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

BTW, our neighbor's dd recently had surgery.  She missed two weeks of school.  She did what she could while she was out, but was limited, since she needed to sleep a lot.  Now that she is back, she is making things up.  Medical needs can trump academic deadlines.  

Take care of your kid and help her take care of herself.  That is a totally ok thing to do.  

Thank you so much for your responses. It's really helpful to know that 3.5 years of science would not be a major loss.

Her interests are microbiology (she loves micro organisms, especially ones found in water and was hoping she could do something with this and her microscope)

The catch is that because of her illness right now, reading and writing is tough for her. Her geometry is going well. She was going to finish her novel for her writing work, but she just can't, so she's doing a graphic novel and that seems to be ok. She's very given to panic attacks and feelings of failure, so while she's bright, I'm trying to keep things very straightforward for her right now.

Thank you again for any suggestions. :)

My youngest really likes to take pictures of what he sees in the microscope.  He has even done some short videos of zooplankton he found when he did a sea urchin fertilization lab.  Maybe that would be an option for her that wouldn't require writing, but might still leave her with an accumulated record of what she worked on.  (Not because you need to prove it to someone, but I was thinking that seeing a series of photos build up might help her feel a sense of progressing through something.)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

I would drop the courses that she can't handle and then maybe encourage her to do extra in courses she can. So, if math is working, let her do double math. Then, later on when she is well, she can skip math for a while and do another subject double. That could be science or writing, whatever is problematic. You don't really have to chop everything up into semesters.

• 4 months later...

Just for something fun to do science wise, my teen did Ellen McHenry's The Elements in middle school just before high school. He and his brother both enjoyed it, and he had a good grasp of the elements and periodic table before hitting high school sciences. While the ages on the program indicate middle school, a good amount of the content also in the first half of high school chemistry.

Or she could Ellen McHenry's Brain as it ties in with her interests.

Sorry forgot it was an old thread.

Edited by kiwik

Hello all,

I have had homeschool experience in the past, and am planning to homeschool next year. My kids have been in a classical school for the inbetween years. I think I mostly have things worked out, except for my 9th grader.

She's a bright, science minded kid, but we had to pull her out of school halfway through the year for depression and anxiety. She's been nearly non-functional for weeks, and with medication and therapy is just starting to pull out of it. I have her finishing Geometry with Life of Fred, which she loves. And I'm handling her humanities classes, but am unsure how to "finish" 9th grade science. She wants to be ready to take Bio next year through our co-op/alt learning school, and I'm at a loss as far as finding a curriculum or book to finish out the year. I'm teaching full time for the rest of the year, so I can't be home to supervise a lot of it, and she's still pretty broken, but worried about getting behind.

Any advice about what to do with 9th grade science? She was hoping for something like LoF she could just work through, but her current high school text book pretty much triggers a panic attack, as do most things that remind her of her previous school.

Thanks for any responses!

Robin

Biology usually has no prerequisites so she is likely fine.