Menu

good documentaries about illegal drugs

Miss Mousie

After SparklyUnicorn's thread (http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/586517-heroin-how-to-discuss-this-very-serious-topic-with-kids/) I spent some time scouring YouTube for good drug-education videos.  So far I have found two that I'd like to share.

What Drugs Do in Your Body:  A Discovery Channel production, hosted by Robin Williams ("I once took a passing interest [in drugs] myself").  Four participants, each a habitual user of a different drug, are tested both on and off drugs in various areas of competence to illustrate the physical difference drugs cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB9hO1_y8c4

What's In My Baggie?  This is also available on YouTube, but I happened to find the site for the organization itself.  In this documentary, the filmmakers visit various music festivals and chemically test the attendee's drugs.  In most cases, people who think they are buying MDMA are actually getting bath salts.  The film discusses the effects of the U.S. government's position of prohibition and promotes knowledge and testing as harm reduction techniques.

http://whatsinmybaggie.com/

As always, preview on your own before showing your kids!

If anyone has any others to share, I'm interested!

• Like 1

Great post on a subject that is of vital importance.  Watching U.S. TV from Colombia, where drugs are available, but are  primarily an Export product, I was (and am) absolutely astonished that the #1 concern of voters before the NH Primary Election was a Heroin epidemic.  This has been going on for *many* years in the USA, Canada and Europe, but it seems to have become much worse.  Possibly if t kids see the videos you linked to, and others like them,  they will think twice, before using drugs of any kind.  Looking back, when I was a student in a High School (in CA)  with 2400 students, some of them   surely were using drugs, but none of my friends or I ever had any contact with that stuff.  Now, it seems to be so common that it is the new "normal". Anything one can do to try to keep their kids off drugs is more than worthwhile. It will save their lives.  Over the years, my wife and I  met 5 or 10 families, who moved back to Colombia, because they had children or wanted to have children and they did not want them to grow up with the drugs and violence in the schools in the USA.  How sad that is...