Menu

Switching from Saxon to TT

My dd will be finishing Saxon algebra 2 this year. I'm thinking of having her work through the geometry topics that haven't been covered yet in Saxon with TT Geometry (which I own) and then move on to TT precalculus. The main reason I am considering this is that she is going to be taking quite a few heavy classes next year and I know she could go through TT's precalculus in much less time than Saxon's and, hopefully, still learn the same things. Plus, while she likes Saxon, I'm thinking TT might be something she'd like even more. Maybe.

Am I right in thinking that entire TT precalculus could be completed in a year, working on it an hour or less a day?

I know neither of these programs are especially popular on these boards, but I'd love to hear any thoughts, positive or negative.

Edited by OnMyOwn

I thought Saxon was considered a decently rigorous curriculum while TT has historically under performed in regards to rigor. My concern would be that TT would not be enough to have your child ready for calculus or University level work.

I don't know. I've read a number of success stories about TT here on the boards. I think the earlier versions were too easy, but that they've moved to a more standard scope and sequence.

You might compare the scope and sequence of TT Pre-Calc against that of Saxon Algebra II. There may be too much overlap, but then again, maybe not :). 

I think if you're looking to lighten her load, it would. If she likes Saxon, she may not like TT. The style is VERY different and it doesn't have the major spiral that Saxon has. If she is comfortable with the teaching/learning style of Saxon and is doing well with it, I'd hesitate to make such a dramatic change.

• Like 1

You might compare the scope and sequence of TT Pre-Calc against that of Saxon Algebra II. There may be too much overlap, but then again, maybe not :).

I think if you're looking to lighten her load, it would. If she likes Saxon, she may not like TT. The style is VERY different and it doesn't have the major spiral that Saxon has. If she is comfortable with the teaching/learning style of Saxon and is doing well with it, I'd hesitate to make such a dramatic change.

Great idea to compare the TOCs in the books. I knew I should do that, but I was hoping someone else had done my dirty work. :) I started by comparing Saxon algebra 2 with the TT precalculus table of contents. Since I did not see much overlap, I pulled out my Lial's precalculus book and compared. TT is definitely covering a lot of the same information as Lial's. What I can't tell is if it goes into as much depth as Lial's, especially since I don't own the TT precalc book.

But the other thing I discovered is that TT still! doesn't have precalculus updated so that you can plug in your answers on the computer. I was thinking that aspect of the program was a draw.

Maybe I'll look at DO as well or consider Lial's since I already own it.

Oh, and I am very hesitant to change since Saxon seems to guarantee success for her. It's just that it also sounds like it's twice the work of other precalc programs and I'm thinking she doesn't need that. Thanks for your thoughts. Edited by OnMyOwn

Between Algebra 2 and Precalc in Saxon is the Advanced Math book. I don't think that's one to skip. According to Art Reed, the sequence is:

"FAST MATH TRACK: Math 76 – Algebra ½ – Algebra 1 – Algebra 2 – Geometry with Advanced Algebra –Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus – Calculus. NOTE: The Saxon Advanced Mathematics textbook was used over a two year period allowing the above underlined two math credits after completing Saxon Algebra 2. (TOTAL Possible High School Math Credits: 4)

AVERAGE MATH TRACK: Math 76 – Math 87 – Algebra ½ – Algebra 1 – Algebra 2 – Geometry with Advanced Algebra – Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus.(TOTAL Possible High School Math Credits: 4)

SLOWER MATH TRACK: Math 76 – Math 87 – Algebra ½ – Algebra 1 – Introduction to Algebra 2 – Algebra 2 – Geometry with Advanced Algebra. (TOTAL Possible High School Math Credits: 4)"

The Advanced Math book finishes up the geometry part from Algebra 2 in the first half of the AM book, hence the "Geometry with Advanced Algebra" designation. If Saxon works, I wouldn't change now.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 1

One of the things my daughter really likes about TT is that they provide an explanation for every problem. She did Saxon up until Algebra, used Jacobs' for Algebra I. She was really frustrated with the lack of explanations in both programs/texts. She doesn't get stuck very often, but enough that I was worried she would lose her math confidence. The stress induced by the discovery method of AOPS would wipe out our family as we know it. The explanation feature of TT alone dropped the stress levels in our house quite a bit She did TT Alg II last year, and her ACT scores  jumped about 8 points-- high enough for her to qualify for the local cc's calculus for social scientists class, lol! TT precalc has  95 lessons. In our house she works everything out by hand, and when she is done she checks it with me.  She likes the personal accountability.

Good luck!

Maria

• Like 2

Between Algebra 2 and Precalc in Saxon is the Advanced Math book. I don't think that's one to skip. According to Art Reed, the sequence is:

"FAST MATH TRACK: Math 76 – Algebra ½ – Algebra 1 – Algebra 2 – Geometry with Advanced Algebra –Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus – Calculus. NOTE: The Saxon Advanced Mathematics textbook was used over a two year period allowing the above underlined two math credits after completing Saxon Algebra 2. (TOTAL Possible High School Math Credits: 4)

AVERAGE MATH TRACK: Math 76 – Math 87 – Algebra ½ – Algebra 1 – Algebra 2 – Geometry with Advanced Algebra – Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus.(TOTAL Possible High School Math Credits: 4)

SLOWER MATH TRACK: Math 76 – Math 87 – Algebra ½ – Algebra 1 – Introduction to Algebra 2 – Algebra 2 – Geometry with Advanced Algebra. (TOTAL Possible High School Math Credits: 4)"

The Advanced Math book finishes up the geometry part from Algebra 2 in the first half of the AM book, hence the "Geometry with Advanced Algebra" designation. If Saxon works, I wouldn't change now.

Thank you for taking the time to post that. I think it's a little confusing with the way he lists that all out. He is splitting the advanced math into two years and that is why he's saying to write it out that way. If Adv Math is done in one year, then that is your precalc credit. Saxon alg II covers everything a typical alg II program covers, so I really think she should be able to move on to any precalc program. You are right about the geometry, though. I would definitely have her finish that up with TT if we switch.

Much of me agrees with the "stick with what's working" idea, but something has got to give with her schedule next year and that's why I'm looking at streamlining math. I don't want to cut corners because she could wind up going into a math field. One thing I have learned, though, is that I have a tendency to choose the hardest path sometimes because it seems "safest" to me and that isn't always necessary or the best. That Adv math book takes most kids 2 hours a day because of all the built in review and I suspect she does not need that, but I could definitely be wrong.

One of the things my daughter really likes about TT is that they provide an explanation for every problem. She did Saxon up until Algebra, used Jacobs' for Algebra I. She was really frustrated with the lack of explanations in both programs/texts. She doesn't get stuck very often, but enough that I was worried she would lose her math confidence. The stress induced by the discovery method of AOPS would wipe out our family as we know it. The explanation feature of TT alone dropped the stress levels in our house quite a bit She did TT Alg II last year, and her ACT scores jumped about 8 points-- high enough for her to qualify for the local cc's calculus for social scientists class, lol! TT precalc has 95 lessons. In our house she works everything out by hand, and when she is done she checks it with me. She likes the personal accountability.

Good luck!

Maria

Maria, that sounds so tempting! I do not think AOPS would be a great fit here either, so we're not going down that road. She likes math, but what I think she likes about it is the ease and predictability of it. I don't think she'd enjoy struggling over every problem. Is this your young dd listed in your signature that did the TT? Thank you!

Yes, that is the DD in the sig line. She finished TT Geometry this week (she started last May and worked on it a bit during the summer.) She is now doing math review to prep for the Math 1 subject tests in a few months-- that will be our day of reckoning, although she is taking the ACT again just to track her progress. If things go well, she will do TT precalc next year as a freshman, then do AP Stats, rather than go on to calculus as a sophomore. I would rather she tackle that at the cc. At least that is the plan.....

It still takes her a couple hours to do math each day. She listens to the video, works through the practice problems on her laptop, then works through the lesson problems with pencil and paper. She hits it first thing in the morning--she considers it a soothing, dependable way to start the day. It's not something she wants to rush through.

The TT site lets you download the table of contents of the precalc, so you can see the chapter and lesson headings, to help you compare.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/PreCalculus.htm

Maria

• Like 1