Menu

High School math sequence, good geometry if I like old Dolciana Algebra

I read through some threads, but could not find the typical math sequence nowadays, I know what it was a long time ago...

My daughter is 8th grade and will complete Dolciani Algebra, really old edition with set theory this year. She is not an AoPS type but does fine with Singapore/Dolciani. She is fairly good at math but does not really like it, she prefers shorter problem sets and does fine with that. Is this considered Algebra I? What would be her sequence up to Calculus and what Geometry do you Singapore/Dolciani types like. She may need a bit more hand holding for Geometry, but I hate anything with cutsey distracting sidebars, just teach the math, people. Also, mastery is better, I do the small amount of review she needs on my own, jotting down areas to review a few problems.

Thanks!

ETA: I do not want proof heavy, I don't think. Some proofs, but not billions.

ETA: I did buy Dolciani geometry already, a lovely 1972 edition!!! I think I could like this, but is there anything it does not cover that would be covered in a more modern Geometry class that I will have to supplement?

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

We tried 2-3 algebra books and also settled on a 1970 Dolciani.

We plan Jacobs 2nd edition for Geometry. May find out more about Lone Pine's class. I've bought five geometry books, and the second edition Jacobs is my favorite. Jurgensen would be a good choice, too.

We'll probably use a 1980's Dolciani for Algebra 2 (I'll need a solutions guide), but probably work through the first chapter of an old one with set theory, if there is time left in the year, Gelfand's Algebra.

Brown Precalculus text (Wilson Hill has a class if I'm in over my head at that point). I did order a cheap, older Dolciani introductory analysis book just for fun.

AP Calc? after that- I think that is the next class after precalc in WHA's sequence.

ETA: we were Singapore for 1-5.

ETA2: I would say there are a number of proofs in Jacobs 2nd, but it is a very straight forward text compared to his Introductory Algebra text.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 1

I read through some threads, but could not find the typical math sequence nowadays, I know what it was a long time ago...

Is this considered Algebra I?

Yes. I compared the TOC with a modern Dolciani- which scored really well on Mathematically correct's website- and they match up pretty closely, with the addition of the set theory in the older book. There are some differences in the older Algebra 2 and the newer one.

• Like 1

What do use for tests for your Dolciani?

Since it is just 8th grade I did not worry about tests, but there are chapter tests in the back. Also, I would gather extra problems not worked and make my own test or modify and make my own for end of quarter and semester tests. I will probably start a few to get her used to testing.

• 3 years later...
4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@ElizabethB  What did you end up using after Dolciani Algebra 1? My son has just started Dolciani Algebra 1 (late 1980s version). I didn't even know Dolciani had a geometry text until reading this thread.  It seems like Jacobs or Jurgensen might be a next step??

I switched my daughter to Saxon, that was a good fit for her.  My son just finished Algebra and I'm now looking for a good Geometry for him, I now own several, but not Jacobs or Jorgensen, I'll have to get those and see.  My son is much more mathy.

• Like 1