Menu

Recovering from Tonsil Removal. NOT fun.

TranquilMind

Yikes, what a week.  The first few days went fine.

We knew this one had a red dye intolerance from some testing we did in the past year when trying to discover why so many illnesses in close succession. 

Well, guess what?  The liquid medicines are all that red dye-filled crap. 

It was tolerable at first, because what choice do you have?  After a few days, the heart palpitations, agitation, wild mood swings (in a very calm person) and sleeplessness began.  What a day this has been.

Come on, pharmaceutical companies!  Make some non-dye filled pain liquid pain medicines!

Finally, we had to stop.  Fortunately, I always fill every prescription, even if I don't yet need it, because you never know.  As it turns out, after a recent surgery,  I was given the identical thing in a white pill that crushes easily.

You have to make things work.  But goodness, what a day.

Now the scabs are forming, and it feels like there are big hard things in the throat, I am told.  Yuck. 

I had this done, but barely remember.  I don't think I had scabs, as they didn't do the cauterization thing then.  I think I was sewn up. 

Anyway, we are more than halfway to recovery.  Sleeping in a recliner seems to help, as the head is elevated.

Just giving an update to those who have this coming.  Hope your kid isn't reactive to red dye!

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 2

Ah, memories.  Both my kiddos went through it at the same time, and both refused to take the liquid pain medication because it tasted nasty.  The pharmacy added flavors of their choice, but it didn't help the taste.  So, we did the recovery with nothing but Tylenol.  It was  l   o   n   g  couple of weeks, but then they both got instantly fine over night (the 14th night).  I hope your next week goes better.

I don't envy you.  I had my tonsils taken out in my 20s. I was miserable.  Emotionally I was *so over* only drinking my "food."  It made me teary eyed and depressed.  The scabs triggered my gag reflex.  The scabs made me feel like I was suffocating/choking.  And then I lost a scab and had to have a second surgery which only made things worse. 

Best thing I *ever* found was a compounding pharmacy that made lidocaine lollipops (with prescription.)  I would put it in my mouth until everything was numb and then wrap it back up.  They were expensive (not covered by insurance) but worth every penny we paid.  

• Like 1

I don't envy you.  I had my tonsils taken out in my 20s. I was miserable.  Emotionally I was *so over* only drinking my "food."  It made me teary eyed and depressed.  The scabs triggered my gag reflex.  The scabs made me feel like I was suffocating/choking.  And then I lost a scab and had to have a second surgery which only made things worse. 

Best thing I *ever* found was a compounding pharmacy that made lidocaine lollipops (with prescription.)  I would put it in my mouth until everything was numb and then wrap it back up.  They were expensive (not covered by insurance) but worth every penny we paid.  

Hmm, that is worth investigating.

Yesterday was terrible.  Today, after a full 24 hours on crushed pills immersed in liquid instead of red dye, this kid is much calmer.  Still in pain, and said it feels like knives stabbing in there.  :(

Any compounding pharmacy should be able to make a dye free replacement if you have new prescriptions.

I went to the compounding pharmacy.

Maybe the problem was that this one was written for a specific thing, but it certainly was not marked that there could be no substitutions. 

Well we are close to the end, and I think I have enough pills to make it. 

It was so much worse than I expected. It got a lot worse before it was better. I think day 6 or so maybe (it's been a while) was horrific. But it's worth it in the end. :grouphug:

Humidifier at night helped some, if you aren't doing that.

Yep, have had the humidifier running nonstop. 

Only on day 8.  I hope it isn't another week!

I'm so sorry... you're not making me hopeful for this summer! 

This is really going to test my mommy abilities.  I can't even read about the scab thing without getting woozy..

:ack2:

Well, you don't see any of that much because you apparently don't feel like opening your mouth wide to look. You just know it is there. 

Hint:  Do NOT consume dairy products.  It forms mucus that is thick and disgusting in there while this is going on.

We have gone dairy free for now.  It is harder finding stuff to mix the pills with. Smoothies all day long.  But at least there is no crying, nightmares, dread, and palpitations that the red dye was causing.

• Like 1

Hmm, that is worth investigating.

Yesterday was terrible.  Today, after a full 24 hours on crushed pills immersed in liquid instead of red dye, this kid is much calmer.  Still in pain, and said it feels like knives stabbing in there.  :(

It took me closer to three weeks to feel okay.  But I had two surgeries and apparently they had trouble intubating me the second time.  My lip was busted and a had a terrible scratch on my gums and roof of my mouth.  I was on heavy amounts of steroids trying to get the swelling to go down because I *really* felt like I was suffocating. 

The lollipops were only made by two compounding (small mom and pop) pharmacies in our whole town.  

Yikes, what a week. The first few days went fine.

We knew this one had a red dye intolerance from some testing we did in the past year when trying to discover why so many illnesses in close succession.

Well, guess what? The liquid medicines are all that red dye-filled crap.

It was tolerable at first, because what choice do you have? After a few days, the heart palpitations, agitation, wild mood swings (in a very calm person) and sleeplessness began. What a day this has been.

Come on, pharmaceutical companies! Make some non-dye filled pain liquid pain medicines!

Finally, we had to stop. Fortunately, I always fill every prescription, even if I don't yet need it, because you never know. As it turns out, after a recent surgery, I was given the identical thing in a white pill that crushes easily.

You have to make things work. But goodness, what a day.

Now the scabs are forming, and it feels like there are big hard things in the throat, I am told. Yuck.

I had this done, but barely remember. I don't think I had scabs, as they didn't do the cauterization thing then. I think I was sewn up.

Anyway, we are more than halfway to recovery. Sleeping in a recliner seems to help, as the head is elevated.

Just giving an update to those who have this coming. Hope your kid isn't reactive to red dye!

So sorry.....it's a pretty bad recovery. Ds had this done a couple years ago. A lot more pain than we expected. He literally would only drink Shamrock shakes from McD's because of his pain, and the healing cauterized areas made everything else taste so bad. The second week was better, and much better by week 3. He lost 12 pounds during his recovery. Hope your dc is feeling better soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!  Three weeks out.  He seems great.  So glad to see him on a skateboard again this week!  He says breathing is easier than it has been in a long time.  We are moving and eliminating carpet and all the allergy triggers we can.  Hopefully, full recovery is made! 

He did lose about 10 pounds. 

• Like 5

Oh, man, I had my tonsils out when I as nine, and I was miserable. I missed seven days of school because I had such a bad recovery. (In contrast, I've had five natural childbirths and recovered from them and appendix surgery so easily, no mega painkillers needed. The tonsillectomy was horrible.). I had them out on a Monday and by Wednesday was throwing up blood and ended up back in the hospital for another night. All the ginger ale and ice cream you want, ha -- I couldn't stand anything. The only thing that helped at all was chloraseptic spray, which I used liberally.

We were told it would be 10 - 14 days of school (if she weren't homeschooled).  It's not a small thing to have done... but, 9 months out from it here, I cannot say enough for the difference it has made to her life.  She is sleeping better, she has grown, she did not get sick last winter at all... this is my child who would get a runny nose in May and stays that way until September, with at least 8 episodes of cold / flu (3 times - actual flu), a couple of bouts of pneumonia and goodness knows that else each winter - essentially sick with respiratory stuff more often than not for 5 or so months each year, and that's not counting the actual bouts of tonsillitis.  She went from that to - nothing, last year.  I would do it again in a heart beat.

• Like 1

Yikes you guys are scaring me.  DS1 has a consult with the pediatric ENT tomorrow regarding having his adenoids out for sleep apnea. 

My son had a rougher than I expected recovery, but it was worth it.

He has jumped up dramatically on his growth scale--passing his twin even, and he's been shorter their entire lives.

He sleeps less, and wakes rested.

It cured his moderate apnea. I know because we had a follow up study, and he had no episodes. Amazing.

My son had tonsils, adenoids, and laser work around the voice box. If the ENT hadn't looked for blockage down there, he wouldn't have been cured entirely. So I'm glad they did that. A study I read made me think that should probably be routine.

Yikes you guys are scaring me.  DS1 has a consult with the pediatric ENT tomorrow regarding having his adenoids out for sleep apnea. 

My ENT admitted to me that his younger patients tend to bounce back faster as long as they don't get dehydrated.  It made me wish my mother had done it when I was younger.  But military medicine said that you can't operate while you have an infection and you shouldn't operate when there is no issue.  Sigh.