Menu

What curriculum would you suggest? Tired of trying to make ours work.

Hey ya'll!

Living in Kentucky the last 3 1/2 years has rubbed off on me with some of its slang. I grew up in Oklahoma and it took me years to quit using the slang I grew up saying and the twang I had in my voice. I might as well give up and give into what is natural for me. Anyway, onto what I came here for because I found myself crying about curriculum again today.

HISTORY! It's going to either drive me more crazy than my mental health records say I am or it's going to put me in my grave. Seriously, I really need some suggestions, direction, and lots of prayer. Right now we are using Sonlight, which I've used most of our 17 years of homeschooling, but my youngest 2 boys aren't liking it and really I'm not either.

This weekend I told them that I understand what they are saying and I agree that we need to change things up. I also told them that we were going to finish out the year with what we have because we can't afford something new and it's not smart to switch it up since we are half way thru. Sam is in 9th this year and Caleb is in 8th, so I feel it's important to keep with what we are using and stay the course because the high school years are important when it comes to credits and transcript.

I'm looking for a history curriculum that is chronological, uses the bible as one of the spines, and uses real books. I like the Charlotte Mason approach because I don't want them just memorizing dates with events. I want them to see what was going on at the same time events in the bible were happening, but I want it done chronologically. I'm not a crafty person and my boys don't enjoy doing hands on stuff like making salt maps, making models, and other stuff like that. We don't mind doing timelines and map activities.

I've had Mystery of History but after the first 9 weeks none of us were enjoying it or had learned much. I cannot spend a lot of money. I would like to be able to pick up books from library, find them used on Amazon, and hopefully have them already. Some of the curricula I've considered is The Well Trained Mind outline for high school, Biblioplan, Tapestry of Grace, Truth Quest History, and I've seriously considered writing up my own curriculum for history. One thing that would be a big plus is if the history curriculum weaved in English and writing so we wouldn't need to buy those separately.

Please help me. I don't want to be put in a white padded room again (yes, I've been there before).

Edited by Mosaicmind

I would suggest Tapestry of Grace. We are in our 6th year with it and love it. It has the history, literature/writing, and Bible/church history (also fine arts & activities, and government and philosophy, though you only need to use what you want.) I get a lot of books from the library, though I have also picked up some books from used book sales and Anazon over the years. There are discussion questions for history, literature, and Bible for the kids (and outlines for you to lead discussion). Timelines, maps, important people lists, vocabulary. It's nice because all kids using it are studying the same thing.

I've had Mystery of History but after the first 9 weeks none of us were enjoying it or had learned much. I cannot spend a lot of money. I would like to be able to pick up books from library, find them used on Amazon, and hopefully have them already. Some of the curricula I've considered is The Well Trained Mind outline for high school, Biblioplan, Tapestry of Grace, Truth Quest History, and I've seriously considered writing up my own curriculum for history. One thing that would be a big plus is if the history curriculum weaved in English and writing so we wouldn't need to buy those separately.

Please help me. I don't want to be put in a white padded room again (yes, I've been there before).

From this paragraph, I would say the three you are considering all fit your requirements, except that from what I've seen Tapestry is expensive to buy and implement.

You might do a search for Biblioplan here on the high school boards. I've seen some very positive reviews recently.

Of course following the WTM recommendations is an inexpensive way to go, but takes a bit more work on your part. Since you've considered writing your own, I think this might be a good option for you! I think one of the biggest strengths of tWTM is leading you through doing your own thing.

ETA some Biblioplan links:

Biblioplan

BF vs Biblioplan

Biblioplan MOH, Companion & Cool History

Biblioplan or TOG

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 2

We love Tapestry of Grace here. We are on our 8th years of it (two rotations through). In high school, you can find the lit books readily in the library. But, you'll end up buying the history books.

Why are your kids not enjoying SL? Is it the reading load? If so, TOG is not the answer. If it is the organization/integration with lit, then TOG is a great option. It is not cheap, but more used teacher's guides are available than before.

Before you switch, try to figure out why SL isn't working.

• Like 1

Of course following the WTM recommendations is an inexpensive way to go, but takes a bit more work on your part. Since you've considered writing your own, I think this might be a good option for you! I think one of the biggest strengths of tWTM is leading you through doing your own thing.

This is what I'm leaning towards doing. Tapestry of Grace looks good but it's just too pricey and we don't have a very good library to borrow books from. I am bedridden and can't drive so I would have to have someone else making frequent trips to the library.

I've considered Biblioplan and it's still in the running. Notgrass is too workbooky for me to consider it. The main reason that SL isn't working is due to both of my boys not wanting or liking to read that much. Sam has ADHD and Caleb, I believe has dyspepsia. Honestly, I tweak SL so much anyway that it's more my curriculum and not SL. I will definitely use their book lists for literature and reading.

I'm still open to other suggestions but since it's almost March I'm getting started on reading the newest edition of the WTM. I would love to hear from others who are using it as their guide.

Have you seen Old Western Culture by Roman Roads Media? Our whole family has loved it. It's DVD based, but lots of reading, maps, art, etc, taught by Wes Callihan. Very classical. 

:iagree:  Romans Road Media.....We have really liked this program as well for high school.  9th grade and up. 

I am really looking into this other program for my 8th grader next year:  http://www.cornerstonecurriculum.com/Curriculum/SP/sp.htm

We have used some of Veritas Press Omnibus as well. 

I don't have a lot of knowledge on Wayfarers but it is Charlotte Mason/Classical and it does combine many subjects including grammar with the history, lit., writing, Bible, etc.  It might be what you are looking for:  http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/

Another thought...many like My Father's World and then add some extra if need be.

Good luck, I know it can be a challenge!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 1

I love Biblioplan. The Companion is terrific and having a spine that is so well done and complete makes implementation very easy. I've used it with two kids now in high school and have been very pleased. There are questions, short essays, longer research essay and maps every week. There are also exams every 6 weeks or so. It has lots of literature recommendations and additional things to choose from if you'd like but that's completely up to you.

We used Trisms and loved it. My daughter was able to study independently and many of the books were available through the library. It covered composition, literature and history in the 4 year classical sequence.  There's a lot of flexibility to tailor it to your kids interests and ability. 

Do you have a Kindle or a computer you could put the Kindle app on?  You may find that many of the books recommended in WTM are long out of copyright.  You can get ebook editions for very low prices or even for free.  You should also check your library's ebook holdings.  I check out tons of books on my Kindle.  When they expire, the file just goes away - no driving necessary.

I have gotten hard copies of books from library book sales, used book stores, thrift stores and used on Amazon.  

One thing that I prefer about WTM is that it schedules literature by title or author, but for history it goes with events or people.  It doesn't matter if you have the exact history book that is on the schedule, because there isn't a specific book on the schedule.  (At least this is the case with the older editions of WTM.)

• Like 1

We are long-time SL users but are switching to My Father's World for high school - for many of the reasons you describe.   My DS will do Ancient History & Literature next year, which includes English, History, and Bible together (3 credits).    

MFW's high school covers Ancient History & Literature plus the Old Testament in 9th grade; World History & Literature plus the New Testament in 10th; US History and Literature to 1877 plus Government and Worldview in 11th; and US History & Literature from 1877 to present plus Economics, Geography, and Missions in 12th.

I don't have much more to add in the lines of history suggestions, I just wanted to say hi as another person living in KY, but originally from Oklahoma!

Hi there,

We've only been here about 3 1/2 years. We moved from IN, where we lived for 12 years. I hate to say it but I really don't like it here, at least not where we live. If you didn't grow up here then no one wants to have anything to do with you. We got involved in church, soccer, and our oldest then was in high school and yet all of our efforts to fit in here were met with opposition. My husband and boys still attend the same church but we've gotten zero help, visits from anyone, or anything from anyone. My husband has friends at work but we have no real friends. Now, since I cannot get out of bed and leave the house there's no way for me to try other churches. I see no other adults except my husband and 2 adult children who are still at home. It's very depressing. My husband is looking for other jobs away from here.

I lived in OK for 22 years and that was plenty. I haven't been back in years and don't plan to go back. Too bad I hadn't met you before this.

...HISTORY! .... Sam is in 9th this year and Caleb is in 8th...

I'm looking for a history curriculum that is chronological, uses the bible as one of the spines, and uses real books. I like the Charlotte Mason approach because I don't want them just memorizing dates with events. I want them to see what was going on at the same time events in the bible were happening, but I want it done chronologically. I'm not a crafty person and my boys don't enjoy doing hands on stuff like making salt maps, making models, and other stuff like that. We don't mind doing timelines and map activities.

.... I cannot spend a lot of money. I would like to be able to pick up books from library, find them used on Amazon, and hopefully have them already. Some of the curricula I've considered is The Well Trained Mind outline for high school ... One thing that would be a big plus is if the history curriculum weaved in English and writing so we wouldn't need to buy those separately.

I think there's a lot to be said for the WTM book's outline of history.  It seems to match all your criteria as far as I can tell.  It's flexible and a lot of the books are available at some libraries and used at Amazon, abebooks, etc.  If it's available at your library, you may want to take a look at SWB's The Well Educated Mind for adult learners and high schoolers to help pick up translations and provide a little background on each book, but that's not necessary.

What works for writing is so dependent on the individual kid, background, etc., that you might be best having it separate, but writing about history if you'd like.  SWB provides writing advice in the WTM and has some additional writing text suggestions on this website; other replies may help you out too.  Best wishes. 

• 4 months later...

Have you seen Old Western Culture by Roman Roads Media? Our whole family has loved it. It's DVD based, but lots of reading, maps, art, etc, taught by Wes Callihan. Very classical. 

Have you used the US/Modernity one?

The only thing that turns me off is the lack of using whole books; just selections

Would it be feasible to combine the DVD features, some of the reading selections, but rejecting others, so that I can schedule the whole book literature that  want?

For ex: use Excellence in LitAmerican Lit selections and RR short narratives, letters, speeches, etc and watching the lectures.

THX

I've considered Biblioplan and it's still in the running. Notgrass is too workbooky for me to consider it. The main reason that SL isn't working is due to both of my boys not wanting or liking to read that much. Sam has ADHD and Caleb, I believe has dyspepsia. Honestly, I tweak SL so much anyway that it's more my curriculum and not SL. I will definitely use their book lists for literature and reading.

Don't feel badly about tweaking (dropping things) at will. Many people only use about half the books. What I do with Sonlight is only purchase the books I'm most interested in, and then setting time limits (we do an hour for history and 30 minutes for lit because I also have 30 min. for writing for our high school English credit). We don't even use the guides--we just read, discuss what we are interested in, and write an occasional paper for history. 

Anyway--if you like the SL style and the SL books--cut at will and go by times instead of trying to do it all (or even half).

Depending on the history topic you are considering, you might also like:

My Father's World

Winter Promise

Heart of Dakota

Beautiful Feet

• Like 1

Diana Waring history might fit what you are looking for.  I have it but haven't used it yet.  It does history in three years, as opposed to four like Biblioplan.  To me, it doesn't seem to not go into the same breadth but it does take more time to allow for depth (which is why I want to finish Biblioplan/MOH/SOTW before we move to Diana Waring).  The text reading is fairly short, and then you choose from different books to read about the topic.  Then another week you are working on a writing assignment.   I like the different assignments that you can choose from, something I feel like Biblioplan is lacking.  There is a craft section but those don't have to be done. 

I'm not 100% sure what we are going to do next year for history but I thought I'd throw that idea out there because I'm tempted to switch to it. 

Diana Waring history might fit what you are looking for. I have it but haven't used it yet. It does history in three years, as opposed to four like Biblioplan. To me, it doesn't seem to not go into the same breadth but it does take more time to allow for depth (which is why I want to finish Biblioplan/MOH/SOTW before we move to Diana Waring). The text reading is fairly short, and then you choose from different books to read about the topic. Then another week you are working on a writing assignment. I like the different assignments that you can choose from, something I feel like Biblioplan is lacking. There is a craft section but those don't have to be done.

I'm not 100% sure what we are going to do next year for history but I thought I'd throw that idea out there because I'm tempted to switch to it.

I started this around February. I didn't actually make my decision until last week about what we are going to use for the next 3 & 4 years my last two boys have before they graduate. The younger one, who will start high school this year, is going to do Roman Roads Old Western Cultures and begin with The Greeks. The older one, who started this year 9th grade with Sonlight Core 100 but we didn't like, will be doing Notgrass Exploring World History but he also wants to do Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, which blends in history. It sounds like a lot but we won't be doing all of both programs and we don't have any other outside classes or activities except for soccer in the fall and church activities. They both have strong opinions about what they like and what they want to do.

There are a lot of very good programs for history and I wasn't going to make the same mistake I made last year when deciding to do Sonlight, that was not ask them what they wanted to do. They've had so much US History and really wanted to start at the beginning and get a grasp of what was going on in the world at the same time as events of the bible and the history of it.

• Like 2