Menu

Favorite 1st grade math board/card games?

We need a break or a supplement or both for Math Mammoth. I don't want apps or computer games, I want games that the 3 of us can play together. Any resources you can recommend would be great! Our library doesn't have a huge selection, and I don't have a huge budget, so bonus points for free resources, links, or for typing up the directions to your favorite game in the comments :) 

Thanks!

• Like 1

1.  I just got Math Games Galore!  http://legacyhomeschool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_66&products_id=256 I have looked through it and think that my kids will love it.  I did not get the expansion pack. 

2.  My kids love the Allowance Game.  http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C895%2C977&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1456284181532 The cheapest I've seen it is $9.99.

3. UNO

4.  Sleeping Queens  (even my 3 yo can play this)

Hth.  I'm going to listen in for more ideas. :) 

See if your library has Games for Math by Peggy Kaye. It gives lots of great ideas for playing games that don't require a lot of materials (many of them use a deck of cards, sometimes you make your own game board on paper, you need a couple of dice, etc.)

• Like 1

A great resource is:  www.kidscount1234.com/mathcentersandgames.html

It has so many great printable games and ideas even using a deck of cards highly recommend!  Other board games we have liked are:

• Sum and Swamp
  • UNO
  • (Deck of cards) - mix up cards (or can use cards that you can make on index cards up to whatever numbers have done) and divide up the cards and play either highest number wins or lowest number.  Each card in each person's pile is flipped over one at a time and whoever has the highest or lowest card gets to keep both cards.  Finish the deck of cards and whoever has the most cards wins.  (hope I am explaining this well). 
  • play guess your number (pick a number and when he/she guesses tell him if your number is higher or lower until they guess the number)
  • Zingo is fun here.  :)

For purchased card games, we like Zeus on the Loose and Alien Hotshots (looks like Alien Hotshots is out of print right now though...we snagged our copy at a thrift store!).

If you buy or make a deck of cards numbered 1-10, it makes it really easy to play games like

"Go to the Dump" (like go fish except instead of matching pairs, find pairs that equal a target number like 10 or 11)

"Adding War" (each player flips two cards, and player with the greatest sum wins)

"Sum memory" (Instead of matching pairs, find pairs that equal the target number)

If you can find a used copy of Right Start Math's card games book, there are a ton of ideas there, and most of the games can be played with decks of 1-10 cards or with other cards you could make yourself.

• Like 1

1.  I just got Math Games Galore!  http://legacyhomeschool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_66&products_id=256 I have looked through it and think that my kids will love it.  I did not get the expansion pack. 

2.  My kids love the Allowance Game.  http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C895%2C977&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1456284181532 The cheapest I've seen it is $9.99.

3. UNO

4.  Sleeping Queens  (even my 3 yo can play this)

Hth.  I'm going to listen in for more ideas. :)

Thanks!

See if your library has Games for Math by Peggy Kaye. It gives lots of great ideas for playing games that don't require a lot of materials (many of them use a deck of cards, sometimes you make your own game board on paper, you need a couple of dice, etc.)

I am going to see if I can find this one used because I hear it recommended over and over. Thanks!

I have several free games on my site that would work great for a K4 and 1st grader playing together. 

Thanks! Your site is great! I was already thinking about getting the preschool book for my youngest :)

I'm glad Kate chimed in! I was going to suggest some of the games she included in her Addition Facts That Stick series from last fall. We're long since finished with the series, but we still play the games.

Thanks!

Clumsy Thief

Thanks!

A great resource is:  www.kidscount1234.com/mathcentersandgames.html

It has so many great printable games and ideas even using a deck of cards highly recommend!  Other board games we have liked are:

• Sum and Swamp
  • UNO
  • (Deck of cards) - mix up cards (or can use cards that you can make on index cards up to whatever numbers have done) and divide up the cards and play either highest number wins or lowest number.  Each card in each person's pile is flipped over one at a time and whoever has the highest or lowest card gets to keep both cards.  Finish the deck of cards and whoever has the most cards wins.  (hope I am explaining this well). 
  • play guess your number (pick a number and when he/she guesses tell him if your number is higher or lower until they guess the number)
  • Zingo is fun here.  :)

Thanks for all the thoughts!

GiggleMath games by GiggleLearn....

Thank you!

Rat-A-Tat Cast is a favorite here. My dd (2nd now) is living the Add/Subtract version of the 24 game.

But free is good, and there are a lot of freebies out there. We've liked a few from the Math Salamander site.

Thank you! Free is very good :)

For purchased card games, we like Zeus on the Loose and Alien Hotshots (looks like Alien Hotshots is out of print right now though...we snagged our copy at a thrift store!).

If you buy or make a deck of cards numbered 1-10, it makes it really easy to play games like

"Go to the Dump" (like go fish except instead of matching pairs, find pairs that equal a target number like 10 or 11)

"Adding War" (each player flips two cards, and player with the greatest sum wins)

"Sum memory" (Instead of matching pairs, find pairs that equal the target number)

If you can find a used copy of Right Start Math's card games book, there are a ton of ideas there, and most of the games can be played with decks of 1-10 cards or with other cards you could make yourself.

I covet the Right Start Math card games book, not gonna lie :) Thanks for the other suggestions!

The Peggy Kaye book is a wealth of easy to play games.  Math war is also a great one to play with just a deck of cards. 

I am looking for that book used. Thanks!

• Like 1

Tabletop academy press has several books with math games and the samples to look at are generous on the site. I just ordered counting and number bonds games. Most of them are playable with a regular deck of card, dice, or printable game pieces.

And some of the games in those books are also on my blog, though you have to work harder to find them. (Just opening a book is easy compared to browsing through nearly 1000 total blog posts, if you put any value on your time!) Here's the list:

Uno, Zingo, Tenzi, War (can put down two cards and add or subtract...or play traditional way), Hot Wheels Math game and Monopoly.  All hits here!! 

Thanks for the suggestions!

And some of the games in those books are also on my blog, though you have to work harder to find them. (Just opening a book is easy compared to browsing through nearly 1000 total blog posts, if you put any value on your time!) Here's the list:

Thanks so much! I really enjoy your site and am considering getting the kindle combo on amazon for younger kids. 

We have been playing games for a couple days (place value war with uno cards, the place value game from an Aussie blog, magic number) and the boys looooove them. They are begging for math games all the time now. And I can see my older DS grasping place value better after only this week! Keep the suggestions coming!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks so much! I really enjoy your site and am considering getting the kindle combo on amazon for younger kids. 

We have been playing games for a couple days (place value war with uno cards, the place value game from an Aussie blog, magic number) and the boys looooove them. They are begging for math games all the time now. And I can see my older DS grasping place value better after only this week! Keep the suggestions coming!

Horseshoes is a great game for place value.

Sum Swamp is a simple but fun board game that my first grader likes. It's not super challenging, but it covers addition and subtraction from 1 to 12, plus odds and evens. Great for reinforcement of basic skills, with adorable little "swamp creature" playing pieces.

Horseshoes is a great game for place value.

Ohhh my goodness! Snugglenumber looks wonderful! Putting that on my list! Thanks! Any other place value games you love? I haven't found many through Pinterest or Google. 

We like Rightstart games and Sum Swamp.

I desperately want the Rightstart guide!

Sum Swamp is a simple but fun board game that my first grader likes. It's not super challenging, but it covers addition and subtraction from 1 to 12, plus odds and evens. Great for reinforcement of basic skills, with adorable little "swamp creature" playing pieces.

Thanks! Who doesn't love swamp creatures?! :)

You could try Number Train. It's kind of like decimal pickle, but with whole numbers: Decimal Pickle.

That looks fun! Kind of like Rack-o, right?

My DS is a bit younger, but he likes Sum Swamp, UNO, War (played w/o face cards) & spatial Logic puzzles like Rush Hour or Tangrams.

That's several votes for Sum Swamp! I will have to ask around my local homeschooling friends to see if we can borrow it from anyone. Thanks!

And as an extension for Sum Swamp we switched out for higher value dice and when the sum was greater than 10, simply dropped the tens and moved the number of ones:)

We also like Zeus on the Loose. Dd made her own version to practice subtraction by starting at 100 (Mount Olympus) and subtraction get back to zero (Hades). She called it 'going to Hades'😳

And as an extension for Sum Swamp we switched out for higher value dice and when the sum was greater than 10, simply dropped the tens and moved the number of ones:)

We also like Zeus on the Loose. Dd made her own version to practice subtraction by starting at 100 (Mount Olympus) and subtraction get back to zero (Hades). She called it 'going to Hades'😳

I don't know the rules to Sum Swamp, but I appreciate the idea for extending it! Your daughter sounds hilarious! Thanks for the ideas!

My kids liked Tri-dominoes at that age. 

I think we might actually have that somewhere. I've never played it, though. I will look for it. Thanks!