Menu

Did you see that Auvi-Q is being abandoned by Sanofi?

3 ladybugs

:crying:  :crying:  :crying:  http://www.in-pharmatechnologist.com/Drug-Delivery/Sanofi-abandoning-Auvi-Q-after-dosage-problems-led-to-total-recall

My son just got prescribed one and had it for about 2 months when the recall happened. I wanted one for myself just because I am often alone with my children and I have an Epi-pen (as of November). This is a very easy thing to teach my older son but now it is gone! 

I hope someone else sees the need and picks up something else that would work the same. 

• Like 1

Interesting. We have always had epi pens, I never got his Auvi Q prescription filled (the Dr wrote us prescriptions for both and let us choose to fill one or both). My sister liked having Auvi Q though. The size was nice and the directions it provided was great.

I'm really sad to see this. The avi-Q was wonderful for my teen son because he could stick it in his pocket. He had one for a couple of years and was always very conscientious about carrying it with him. The huge epipens stink for boys because where is he supposed to put it? Sure, I can get a case to put it in, but he's simply not going to carry that around with him. It's really a shame. I was so happy when he started carrying the avi-Q.

• Like 2

I don't love my epipen but I couldn't get over how insanely expensive the Auvi-Q was! I wanted one but just couldn't stomach that horrendous cost. Auto injectors are highway robbery :(

I don't love my epipen but I couldn't get over how insanely expensive the Auvi-Q was! I wanted one but just couldn't stomach that horrendous cost. Auto injectors are highway robbery :(

I carry four epi pens with me at all times.  2 epi jrs and 2 regular epis.  For some reason, our insurance wouldn't cover Auvi-Q, though I really wanted to support it. 

I had to actually use an epi jr this past fall.  First time in 12+ years of carrying them.  So nerve wracking! 

• Like 1

I hope they create a new affordable one (we couldn't afford it before which is why we stuck with epi pens) before my son hits his teen years! I usually carry his pens and inhaler in a bag together and the few times he goes somewhere without me he doesn't mind having it but something he could toss in his pocket would be much nicer in the teen years.  

Auvi-Q and Epi-pen were paying for co-pays on their products last year. I had CRAPPY insurance when my son got the Auvi-Q and we had nothing out of pocket. In fact now that I have the 2 (4) Epi-pens, I have yet to pay for anything out of pocket because of this. My son got his in August, mine was prescribed in November. I don't know if that is still going on or not. 

My DH works in managed markets (among other things) and he says that there is a good case to be made that a product like Auvi-Q increases the effectiveness of the product. However this would have to be demonstrated to the FDA for insurance companies to accept it. IF the next manufacture does that (which is all but certain this will be picked up by someone) then it should be cheaper for those who have insurance. How low that will be will depend on your insurance. 

• Like 3

Auvi-Q and Epi-pen were paying for co-pays on their products last year. I had CRAPPY insurance when my son got the Auvi-Q and we had nothing out of pocket. In fact now that I have the 2 (4) Epi-pens, I have yet to pay for anything out of pocket because of this. My son got his in August, mine was prescribed in November. I don't know if that is still going on or not.

My DH works in managed markets (among other things) and he says that there is a good case to be made that a product like Auvi-Q increases the effectiveness of the product. However this would have to be demonstrated to the FDA for insurance companies to accept it. IF the next manufacture does that (which is all but certain this will be picked up by someone) then it should be cheaper for those who have insurance. How low that will be will depend on your insurance.

Yes, I like the copay program. They need something for people with no insurance, too though.

We didn't have a copay for either, so it was a matter of choosing which product we liked best. Auvi-Q all the way here. In fact, 48 hours before the recall - we picked up six of them. Grrrrrrrrrr!

I hope they create a new affordable one (we couldn't afford it before which is why we stuck with epi pens) before my son hits his teen years! I usually carry his pens and inhaler in a bag together and the few times he goes somewhere without me he doesn't mind having it but something he could toss in his pocket would be much nicer in the teen years.

Yes! It's so much easier to carry it for them when they're young.

DS is 12. He's wearing an epibelt now, but prior to that we had a bag. Keeping track of it was a pain. He'd go out to play, I'd look out the window and see it swinging around, or on the ground, or left at a friend's...

The epibelt options aren't great. Throw in two epis and an inhaler, and it's full. Bulging. And the one we have has lasted only a few months, and has holes already.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

The Auvi-q was so easy to use but insanely expensive. Ds' girlfriend had them, and ds was taught how to use it, with the talking instructional one. 

I know it's not the same, but has anyone seen this? People we know throw away unused epi-pens often. Unused is a good thing, but if the shelf life can be increased that would also be a good thing.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/21/epipen-alternative-medicine/

• Like 4

The Auvi-q was so easy to use but insanely expensive. Ds' girlfriend had them, and ds was taught how to use it, with the talking instructional one. 

I know it's not the same, but has anyone seen this? People we know throw away unused epi-pens often. Unused is a good thing, but if the shelf life can be increased that would also be a good thing.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/21/epipen-alternative-medicine/

This would be excellent.

• Like 3

This is our bag: http://ourunplannedlife.com/2015/08/25/a-longer-post/ (about half way down). I made it and it works well with the Epi-Pens now. I bet you could fit an inhaler in it as well easily. I also now have some flexible blue ice type material in it to help insulate it, though I insulated the whole bag. It has a pocket on the back to put copies of our insurance card and a 1 page medical history in it (1 page for each of us) with emergency contacts and complete list of doctors. 

• Like 2

This is our bag: http://ourunplannedlife.com/2015/08/25/a-longer-post/ (about half way down). I made it and it works well with the Epi-Pens now. I bet you could fit an inhaler in it as well easily. I also now have some flexible blue ice type material in it to help insulate it, though I insulated the whole bag. It has a pocket on the back to put copies of our insurance card and a 1 page medical history in it (1 page for each of us) with emergency contacts and complete list of doctors.

What a great bag! You could make a mint selling them ... :D

• Like 1

What a great bag! You could make a mint selling them ... :D

This is the pattern I made it with: https://www.etsy.com/listing/157112954/franny-pdf-fanny-pack-pattern-easy?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=fanny%20pack%20PDF&ref=sr_gallery_3

I took out the card holder and put in a clear pouch there. I also added a clear pouch behind the flap. I put a photocopy of the prescription (what you get from the pharmacy) for both epi pens in the one under the flap. In the clear pouch where the cards were, I put lists of hidden foods my son and I have to watch out for.

I used Joann's fabric insulation through all of it except for the top zipper. It is sandwiched in-between the lining and outer. 

I think that is all the changes I made other then the front flap. That part was tricky as I don't have an embroidering machine, but I printed out what I wanted on plain paper. I then used a window to trace that all on freezer paper. I then used a normal (sharp) needle and no feeding on my sewing machine. I then slowly went over the lines I had drawn with a narrow zig-zag stitch. When that was done, I was able to remove the rest of the freezer paper and sew on the cow. I also sewed on the ladybugs (they have special meaning for me). 

Thank you though! I like how it turned out and it works really great! I should point out though, my son is likely to outgrow his milk allergy, I on the other hand, have a peanut and cashew/pistachio allergy so I will likely be the only one having an Epi-pen in a few years. 

• Like 2

This is our bag: http://ourunplannedlife.com/2015/08/25/a-longer-post/ (about half way down). I made it and it works well with the Epi-Pens now. I bet you could fit an inhaler in it as well easily. I also now have some flexible blue ice type material in it to help insulate it, though I insulated the whole bag. It has a pocket on the back to put copies of our insurance card and a 1 page medical history in it (1 page for each of us) with emergency contacts and complete list of doctors.

That is a very cute bag.

• Like 1

Last time we refilled before the recall, EpiPen Jr and Auvi-Q were within $10 of each other.  (We have a high deductible plan, so we were talking $300-400 either way.)

So we went with Auvi-Q because it was easier to carry.  What a shame if they don't come back from this.

Edited by cottonmama
  • Like 1

Yes, I like the copay program. They need something for people with no insurance, too though.

We didn't have a copay for either, so it was a matter of choosing which product we liked best. Auvi-Q all the way here. In fact, 48 hours before the recall - we picked up six of them. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Exactly, that didn't help us at all because we had zero prescription coverage and then no insurance period. I'm usually good with paying out of pocket but at the rate I go through them I cannot stomach that much higher fee for the form factor!

Exactly, that didn't help us at all because we had zero prescription coverage and then no insurance period. I'm usually good with paying out of pocket but at the rate I go through them I cannot stomach that much higher fee for the form factor!

Yep. And for adults - it's ok. The form factor. But for kids, the Auvi-Q was really nice. I know from training DS's friends that the non-allergic kids found the Auvi-Q less intimidating, in addition to the carrying issue for boys. It should be more accessible!

Actually, all forms of epinephrine should be. The uncovered cost for a life saving med is shameful.

GlaxoSmithKline used to have a program for uncovered drugs. Epipen should have the same.

I think it stinks that people have to pay hundreds for epinephrine. I'm sorry, AM, that just stinks. :(

Edited because i meant to type AM for ArcticMama, not AT. Oops.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2