Menu

What's with the ads?

seemesew

Books that are not babyish for 6 year old

My 6 year-old loves to read but absolutely does not want anything babyish. Hes been trying to read the boxcar children and gets very frustrated, even though I think he is doing well just needs a little help and goes a bit slow (which is totally normal for his age). Is there a book series that is a bit easier than magic tree house or boxcar children but not anything in format like Henry and Mudge, Dr. Seuss or the leveled readers? He considers those for babies (I think it has something to with the pictures and that they are not set in real chapters), he wants to read a "real" book. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

My DD just read, and loved, Winter Shadow. (We both were in tears at the end...and it prompted her to write an alternate ending that she wanted to tape into the book, to cheer up anyone else who read it, lol.) Really a wonderful, warm, atmospheric book, at around the reading level of Magic Tree House.

• Like 1

What about the elephant and pig series? They are cute and funny. Is he into superheroes? Our library has a lot of "level 1" books, superhero or car themed. Mine was a Lightning McQueen fan, so he read lots of level 1 Cars books

What about the elephant and pig series? They are cute and funny. Is he into superheroes? Our library has a lot of "level 1" books, superhero or car themed. Mine was a Lightning McQueen fan, so he read lots of level 1 Cars books

We have tried a few of those and while he likes them, But he refuses to read them because they are to "young and for babies". I think he doesn't like that they are so colorful, or something.

Kingdom of Wrenly

Moongobble and Me

Droon

I'm not sure where those rank in difficulty but my daughter is reading Wrenly now and loving it. She's 6. I was going to try the Moongobble series next.

• Like 1

Nate the Great?  Amelia Bedelia?

Peter has also really been enjoying the Stepping Stone Classics like Knights of the Round Table and The Three Musketeers - some are easier than Boxcar Children, some about the same, and some a bit more difficult.  Knights of the Round Table is one of the easiest.

Wendy

• Like 1

My barely six-year-old likes Young Cam Jansen, but the regular Cam Jansen series feels more like real books.

Edited by MrsWeasley
  • Like 1

What about Stephen Cosgrove's books?   They aren't leveled readers.   Although, you might show him some of the covers because the pictures inside are very similar.   The age range is 5-9.   When DD was a toddler a co-worker said she had one of her books of his still because it was her favorite even as a preteen.  They also have good lessons which aren't heavy-handed.   My favorite is Flutterby, a winged horse the size of butterfly is born and there aren't any others like him around.  So he tries to see where he fits in, he tried the ants, bees, butterflys, etc and DOESN'T.  At this point most stories would either have him find his tribe or his differences would save the day e.g. Rudolph and live happily ever after.  No, he meets a wise animal who suggests just being himself.   Then he is happy.  In fact, you inspired me to buy a 25 book lot of his on e-bay.   

• Like 1

We have tried a few of those and while he likes them, But he refuses to read them because they are to "young and for babies". I think he doesn't like that they are so colorful, or something.

What about the "Who was" series? Is he into biographies? Some of them are harder to read than others, but he might enjoy them
  • Like 1

Wow! You guys have recommended some truly great books!!! I think he will enjoy a good portion of these, he is so into reading, and you guys have given me a great start! Please keep suggesting! He goes through them quickly ;0)

The Dodsworth in ... series, by Tim Egan is quirky and humorous, has chapters but may have too many pictures for him.

Ivy and Bean is a funny series (higher word: picture ratio)

My 7yo dd is slowly working her way through The Great Big Enormous Book of Tashi. It is a compilation, but big like a phone book. Peril, but not a crazy amount, always resolved. Black and white drawings. We often buddy read it.

• Like 1

A lot of the books mentioned I would say are equal/harder than magic treehouse - it is hard to find books that don't look like readers ( which included Nate the great here) but are easier than magic treehouse. So it would also depend on why magic tree house is too hard.

• Like 1

The books that I can think of off the top of my head are A to Z Mysteries, Cam Jansen, Nate the Great, Flat Stanley...those are the ones my boys read around that age.

• Like 2

A lot of the books mentioned I would say are equal/harder than magic treehouse - it is hard to find books that don't look like readers ( which included Nate the great here) but are easier than magic treehouse. So it would also depend on why magic tree house is too hard.

truthfully I don't think magic tree house is too hard he just doesn't want to read  it. The Boxcar children is a bit slow, he can read fast but there a bunch of harder words that take a bit longer to sound out. He only needs help with 1-2 words in a paragraph and maybe 10-15 words on a page. Maybe it is the level he needs, I sure don't know!

series:

Commander Toad (Yolen)

Billy and Blaze (Anderson)

The Littles (Peterson)

Catwings (LeGuin)

Flat Stanley (Brown)

The Stories Julian Tells (Cameron)

Jigsaw Jones (Prellar)

A to Z Mysteries (Roy)

Third Grade Detective series (Stanley)

High Rise Private Eyes series (Rylant)

Lighthouse Family series (Rylant)

riddle books by Eisenberg and Hall

Miss Pickerell (MacGregor) -- vintage/out-of-print, but fun

Chester Cricket series (Seldon)

The Adventures of Laura and Jack (Wilder)

books by Margaret Davidson:

Helen Keller

Louis Braille

The Wizard of Menlo Park: Thomas Alva Edison

Five True Dog Stories

Seven True Horse Stories

Nine True Dolphin Stories

books by Clyde Bulla:

The Secret Valley

Riding the Pony Express

Viking Adventures

The Sword in the Tree

A Lion to Guard Us

individual titles:

A Grain of Rice (Pittman)

The Minstrel in the Tower (Skurzynski)

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (Fleischman)

Toots and the Upside House (Hughes)

Phoebe the Spy (Griffin)

Light at Tern Rock (Sauer)

The Seven Treasure Hunts (Byars)
Tornado (Byars)

Buddy: The First Seeing Eye Dog (Moore)

Follow My Leader (Garfield)

The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto (Standiford)

Robinson Crusoe Reader (Cowles)

The Arrow and the Apple (Buff)

Phoebe the Spy (Griffin)

Brendan the Navigator (Fritz)

The Wright Brothers (Reynolds)

The Little Riders (Shemin)

Hannah (Whelan)

Marco Polo (Graves)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

truthfully I don't think magic tree house is too hard he just doesn't want to read  it. The Boxcar children is a bit slow, he can read fast but there a bunch of harder words that take a bit longer to sound out. He only needs help with 1-2 words in a paragraph and maybe 10-15 words on a page. Maybe it is the level he needs, I sure don't know!

1-2 words/paragraph in general it is too hard -- for reading on his own it should be 1-2 words/100 words or maybe 2- 3 words / boxcar children page.   However, Boxcar Children are actually quite a bit harder than Magic Treehouse word wise IMO even though many suggest it as early chapter book.  And a lot of the books suggested here are easier than Boxcar Children.

If it is just lack of interest in Magic Treehouse (2 of those here and I have a handed down set of 1-30 :001_rolleyes: )  -- then I would look at other suggested here -- Droon, Cam Jansen, Horrible Harry, the Dolphin one (and there are some similar cat/puppy ones) etc as listed by here.   

Another possible issue might be going to lack of pictures and more words-- that for me was more about picking up a bunch of books and looking at them.  Even the same book can have different editions that have more or less pictures/words per page.   Graphic novels like Babymouse are good for this too (sorry can't think of a more boy-ish one).