69-60 D

59- F

But I've also seen:

100-95 A

94-85 B

84-75 C

74-65 D

64- F

Is there a place I can go to figure out what kind of scale is used in CA?

What type of a grading scale do you use? The last one is a bit harsh, but my son is insisting on using it and I'm trying to find out what kind of scale I should be using.

I use:

A=100-93%

B=92.9-85%

C = 84.9-75%

D = 74.5-70%

F < 70%

I also go back and forth trying to decide if I need to use +/-. However, I am one of those people that continually waffle over ridiculous things:tongue_smilie:

I think the reason that they ask for the grading scale is because many people use a different one, and then they can evaluate the grades against that particular school. So I'm not sure you will find a standard grading scale for all of CA, but I could TOTALLY be wrong!

I used the 93 + is an A scale listed above for my older two kids. We thought having a stricter scale would help prove the rigor of our academic program. We are changing grading scales for our next child!

The harsher grading scale has a MAJOR disadvantage. If a child gets a 92 in an outside class and the school only gives percentage grades, you need to give the B! We didn't end up actually having to give a B for a 92, but we almost did. The teacher was talking about anything above a 90 being an A, but since the school only gave percentage grades on the school transcript and we were having the school send in an official transcript, we would have ended up giving a B so that the transcript grade from the school and our home lined up. Yikes!

Basically, if you say that you require a 93 for an A, then you need to stick to that grading scale for ALL classes that provide grades in terms of percentages. Most schools/classes give letter grades, but some do percentage grades.........

For our next child we are playing it safe and normal and just doing 90+ is an A.

I use:

A=100-93%

B=92.9-85%

C = 84.9-75%

D = 74.5-70%

F < 70%

This is the one we use. It's the scale the ABEKA program recommends. That's what we used for Kindergarten, and it just "stuck." I agree with the fact that it makes them work a little harder for that "A."

Behavior that is rewarded is behavior that will be repeated.

Hope you have a GREAT day!!