Menu

If you have an aging horse...

StaceyinLA

If you have an aging horse (mid twenties or older), what are some things you have done to keep weight on him/her?

Teeth floated

Deworming done

Feeding senior feed

Grass/hay available at all times

Other suggestions? I realize she won't be the same as in her prime, but if there is something we are missing that we could do to help, we'd like to do it. She isn't skin and bones or anything, but I'd like to plump her up a little if possible.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

All the things you have listed plus a good supplement with Selenium. For some horses the supplement by John Lyons (Ration Plus) can help BUT I would have your vet check the ingredients first to see there is not something worrisome in there. There are so many variables.

One of the horses I boarded for a friend was rather skinny and their vet suggested I feed them a a bit of oil with the grain. He plumped up nicely but he was also happier and on good alfalfa/grass mix hay.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I feed my daughter's old guy grass hay twice a day and about 2 quarts of senior grain with about 4 ounces of Senior Weight Accelerator (it's a flax blend-Cool Calories is a similar product) soaked in warm water once a day.  This has been the first winter that I've aggressively supplemented his hay and HE LOOKS GREAT.  I think the key has been the Weight Accelerator.  He's an old Arab, and they have a tendency to look kind of coat rack-ish, but he is at a good healthy weight with a nice round barrel and soft, soft fur.  He's 23 and has had ringbone since he was pretty young, so I am super pleased with how well he's doing.  HTH.

• Like 1

What kind of oil and how much? I don't know that I would do it, but I'm curious...

At the time, the vet suggested corn oil BUT I would look for something non-GMO now or do more research on the subject. Perhaps your vet has some thoughts on this.

ETA: I just remembered the other supplement by John Lyons: "Source." I am not sure if it actually still exists on its own or if Ration Plus has replaced it. My horse passed away almost 5 years ago and I have been a little out of the horse world.

Edited by Liz CA

Are you feeding senior feed at the rates suggested?

We did a mash of 1/2 senior and 1/2 beet pulp shreds for our oldsters. We also added some Ultimate Finish for healthy oils.

You might also want to try some third cutting alfalfa hay or soaking alfalfa pellets for added nutrition.

Right now I am lucky as our 25 year old 1/2 Arab gets 1/3 cup....yes 1/3 cup...of oats twice a day and grass hay and he looks great.

Yes, if you have a harsher winter and hay is not easily available or the quality is lower, beet pulp is the answer - at least it was for me. I got the one without molasses but it's up to you and your horse's taste buds.  :)

For the underweight horse, I did mix the corn oil (suggested by vet) and the beet pulp together. For my horse I made a mash out of beet pulp, lukewarm water and a little Senior SafeChoice feed (without the oil).

I feed my daughter's old guy grass hay twice a day and about 2 quarts of senior grain with about 4 ounces of Senior Weight Accelerator (it's a flax blend-Cool Calories is a similar product) soaked in warm water once a day. This has been the first winter that I've aggressively supplemented his hay and HE LOOKS GREAT. I think the key has been the Weight Accelerator. He's an old Arab, and they have a tendency to look kind of coat rack-ish, but he is at a good healthy weight with a nice round barrel and soft, soft fur. He's 23 and has had ringbone since he was pretty young, so I am super pleased with how well he's doing. HTH.

Our girl is an Arab/quarter horse cross. She has been pretty solid for most of her life, but is now looking pretty lean. I'm definitely gonna look into the the weight accelerator. I feel like she'll pick up in the summer anyway, but I'd like to have her a little plump going into next winter if at all possible.

• Like 1

Well we are in Louisiana so harsh winters arent really an issue, but I may look into the beet pulp - used to give it to my lactating dairy goats as a supplement.

I am pretty sure we are feeding the senior feed at the suggested amount but I'm gonna look at the bag today and be sure.

Stacy:  I have heard that there are disadvantages to beet pulp.  You may want to discuss it with your vet.  Here is the link to the product that I mentioned yesterday.  As for oil, there is a product called Coca-Soya that we used during a rehab after my quarter horse injured her back at the vet's recommendation.  It's pricey, though, and it was really hard to get her to eat it.  (And messy.  And hard to store.  And did I mention expensive? ;) )

(ETA:  The two horses that we have in addition to the old guy are mares, one the QH mentioned above and the other a Fjord.  Both have metabolic issues.  I have both on half the quantity of senior weight accelerator as the gelding.   All three wintered beautifully; no colds, no coughs, good movement.  Their feet are FANTASTIC and their coats are BEAUTIFUL.  I have been really surprised by how much benefit they derive from such a small amount of a supplement.)

Edited by JoJosMom

About 3 years ago, I had to have our last and most senior horse put down due to mini-strokes.  He was 28.  Leading up to that point, he was having difficulty keeping weight on.  To complicate matters, he also had heaves off and on, so it was very important that he had high quality hay.  

I'm not a proponent of grain at all (I'm a believer in natural horsemanship), so when we knew the hay wasn't going to keep him over our severe winters, I moved to soaking beet pulp in warm water. This also provided him with extra water to help keep him hydrated. Out of sheer necessity, I also broke down and purchased a senior, low-sugar, high fiber grain to mix in with the soaked beet pulp.  He loved it, and it did the job.

• Like 1

Stacey, we don't need to supplement Selenium in our area unless a blood panel on your horse shows that she is deficient.  

Beet pulp is a good way to bump calories and fiber.  Ground flax seed is a great way to add calories and are higher in good omegas to reduce inflammation. Vitamin E is also helpful for horses on higher fat diets.

When I needed to add weight to my mare, I did four feedings a day of soaked timothy/alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, flax and senior feed.  Hay/pasture free choice.  

Edited by Live2Ride
  • Like 1

I can't help with solutions, but I assume a vet has examined your horse?  Our Homeowners Association owns a horse. He  pulled a wagon around our huge rural subdivision, for years,  for the workers. He was doing that when we bought this lot in 2003.  He is retired now (no more wagons to be pulled around) and    he is not thin. I saw him when I came home, an hour or so ago.  I'm guessing he is about 30 years old. He is grazing in the grass. The H.A. has a lot of land and there is a lot of grass. He looks quite healthy.  GL with your horse!