Menu

After Saxon Algebra I - Alternatives to Saxon

My daughter has done Saxon Algebra 1/2 and 1.  She's done very well with it and has always gotten math concepts easily.  She's not sure she wants to stay with Saxon just because it takes so long, even after cutting out odds/evens.  She's not opposed to it, but wanted to know what alternatives there might be.  What would you suggest for after Saxon Algebra 1?

Thanks,

My daughter who is doing Saxon Algebra I this year is going to try AOPS Geometry next year.  I wanted a change from Saxon, just for a different way of thinking, and I thought since Geometry is a change from Algebra anyway, and she's a visual-spacial sort of person, that would be a good time to try AOPS.

• Like 1

My dd uses Saxon and I think she'll be sticking with it.  But, my son used CLE for algebra I, which is a spiral program like Saxon and he has switched to Lial's, which is mastery based.  That has gone well as long as we add in 15 minutes of the cumulative review problems each day.

• Like 1

My daughter who is doing Saxon Algebra I this year is going to try AOPS Geometry next year.  I wanted a change from Saxon, just for a different way of thinking, and I thought since Geometry is a change from Algebra anyway, and she's a visual-spacial sort of person, that would be a good time to try AOPS.

Good for her!  But, be aware that this transition will be very tough at the beginning.  The two are on opposite extremes as approaches go.

Depending on how much a child takes to discovery method teaching, I might be inclined to a classical text as an intermediate step.

• Like 2

Any other options?  Maybe something similar, not sure we're ready for AOPS, but more challenging with less problems?  She doesn't mind the time spent, just the amount of problems.  I had just planned on her doing Saxon Alg. 2 and then Advanced so I haven't really looked around or paid attention.

Any other options? Maybe something similar, not sure we're ready for AOPS, but more challenging with less problems? She doesn't mind the time spent, just the amount of problems. I had just planned on her doing Saxon Alg. 2 and then Advanced so I haven't really looked around or paid attention.

We ran with a combination including Jurgensen. In all of our AOPS courses, we review and test via classical texts so that there's absolutely no pressure added to the discovery process.

• Like 1