Menu

Another surrogacy case in the news

JumpyTheFrog

Again, adoption does not deliberately create a child that will not know one or both biological parents.

eta: but I definitely agree that it is not a panacea; unfortunately there are some people who cannot, for whatever reason (biological or social or whatever), have children. That is a terrible thing.

That doesn't mean that we should as a society allow people to go to any lengths to create a child for themselves, regardless of the issues the creation of that child might raise.

And yes, we do in general stigmatise other child-producing situations where both biological parents aren't available as "not ideal." They are seldom situations where the original intention was to create a child who would not know his/her parents, so we tend to give people more grace, but I would say most societies, and most parts of our society, speak about ways to reduce the rate of single motherhood, or out of wedlock births, or divorce; these are not ideal situations in any sense.

Agreed 100%. This is exactly how I feel about surrogacy.