Menu

HOD Beyond.....

3girls4me

I used it several years ago.  We did not complete the guide, but I did like it.  Of the HOD we tried, I would say Beyond and Preparing were my favorite.  My only complaint about Beyond is that you might get tired of the pilgrims because it seemed like you stayed with them a LONG time.  But the kids enjoyed the little projects, painting, etc. that went with each week.

• Like 1

Beyond is fun. I would not use it for a kindergartener, though. If you plan on using other HOD guides, you will find yourself in too difficult of guides very soon! For example, You wouldn't want to do Preparing LHFHG in 2nd grade. I think LHFHG is a great 1st grade program, and Beyond makes a great 2nd grade. Remember, you can change the level of Math and LA for your child's needs. - Just my opinion, but I think most would agree. If in doubt, give them a call. They will gladly discuss your situation and help with placement.

We also did not finish. We started when she turned six and by the end of the first semester it was going too slow for us. We flew through the second half in a couple of weeks. We did our own thing until she turned 7. Bigger was a great fit for that year, but again we flew through the second half. I've never heard anyone else say that, so we must be weird. Dd makes huge leaps in ability all at once. I am trying unit studies for now to accomodate this.

We also did not finish. We started when she turned six and by the end of the first semester it was going too slow for us. We flew through the second half in a couple of weeks. We did our own thing until she turned 7. Bigger was a great fit for that year, but again we flew through the second half. I've never heard anyone else say that, so we must be weird. Dd makes huge leaps in ability all at once. I am trying unit studies for now to accomodate this.

I haven't used HOD in a long time, but I really think your experience is understandable.  A guide may start out challenging or stretching a student, but half way through the year, the child has grown into the guide and the amount of work required.  It then becomes too slow or a bit monotonous.  Also, while I know HOD is trying to incorporate the CM idea of subjects in small bites, I think there comes a point where it just feels tedious. 

• Like 1

Beyond is my least favorite guide!  There I said it aloud!  I dragged one child through it and it was boring then and I'm dragging a second child through it now and it's still boring.  Pilgrims, pilgrims, pilgrims . . . . the problem I'm having with it is that every time I consider switching it up, my ds says something annoyingly positive about how much he loves the book we are reading :)  

I've never put my finger on quite why I don't like it.  I think it's because it's too much like LHFHG.  I don't see any progression.  We just read and read.  There really isn't any written work except for copywork and one day a week grammar.  I don't really like the story time activities, I think most of the science is pretty lame, the art projects never turn out quite right . . . .

Yes, I have a bad attitude right now.  It's February though and I'm trying to keep my promise of NOT changing things up in February!

• Like 2

Beyond is my least favorite guide!  There I said it aloud!  I dragged one child through it and it was boring then and I'm dragging a second child through it now and it's still boring.  Pilgrims, pilgrims, pilgrims . . . . the problem I'm having with it is that every time I consider switching it up, my ds says something annoyingly positive about how much he loves the book we are reading :)

I've never put my finger on quite why I don't like it.  I think it's because it's too much like LHFHG.  I don't see any progression.  We just read and read.  There really isn't any written work except for copywork and one day a week grammar.  I don't really like the story time activities, I think most of the science is pretty lame, the art projects never turn out quite right . . . .

Yes, I have a bad attitude right now.  It's February though and I'm trying to keep my promise of NOT changing things up in February!

Thank you!  You just answered that for me.  We bought LHFHG this year and used it on and off for a few weeks and haven't opened it since.  The funny thing is.......this particular child loves writing, loves workbooks, loves academic challenge, even at age 5.  She is doing kindergarten at home and at our co-op this year, so will be in 1st grade in that way next year, but only kindergarten according to the state. She just missed the birthday cut off, so really is kindergarten age right now anyway.

I can't figure out what we should use.  I think I'll post a separate post about this since this one is HOD specific.

Thanks for all of your help.

• Like 1

If you have a child that is strong in writing or natural at those skills and naturally academic, I would not do the younger guides of HOD.  Especially a girl that thrives on workbooks and challenging material.  You don't really get that level of sit down and write and work with HOD until CTC almost.  Everything is short bites and the jump from guides is at the beginning of the year so a month or 2 in the guides are the same level of work for the rest of the year.  I think Beyond and even Bigger could be used for a child that was ready for that writing in 1st grade.  If she has done kindergarten and likes to write, I might would look at Bigger b/c it is better than Beyond to me for a child that needs that challenge. 

Most people give advice for HOD assuming you are going to stick with HOD all the way through and say don't do it young b/c then you get to the harder guides too soon.  My advice is if you want to do HOD place on ability and take it each year whether the next guide would be a good fit that year and that grade for your child.  I would have enjoyed HOD much better if I wouldn't have been trying to schedule out our entire future school career with the assumption that I would do HOD all the way through when I first placed my children. 

• Like 1

If you have a child that is strong in writing or natural at those skills and naturally academic, I would not do the younger guides of HOD. Especially a girl that thrives on workbooks and challenging material. You don't really get that level of sit down and write and work with HOD until CTC almost. Everything is short bites and the jump from guides is at the beginning of the year so a month or 2 in the guides are the same level of work for the rest of the year. I think Beyond and even Bigger could be used for a child that was ready for that writing in 1st grade. If she has done kindergarten and likes to write, I might would look at Bigger b/c it is better than Beyond to me for a child that needs that challenge.

Most people give advice for HOD assuming you are going to stick with HOD all the way through and say don't do it young b/c then you get to the harder guides too soon. My advice is if you want to do HOD place on ability and take it each year whether the next guide would be a good fit that year and that grade for your child. I would have enjoyed HOD much better if I wouldn't have been trying to schedule out our entire future school career with the assumption that I would do HOD all the way through when I first placed my children.

Thanks for this! I definitely can't plan out my second and third kids with HOD because they would have multiple years with no guide. In a way, I'm glad because I like to use different things here and there. I love the look of a couple of SL guides and MFW too. And there's always that pull of TOG.

We may just have her listen in to her sister's Preparing work and then add a little of Memoria Press and some other additional things. But I will look at Bigger and see what I think......

Thanks!

If I had a child in Preparing and a strong reader/writer, then I would join the HOD PHFHG FB page and download the notebooking pages that someone made for Preparing and have the 1st grader use them.  I have 4 kids and I tried to do HOD the HOD way and was running 3 guides b/c of it.  It never fit us b/c I was trying to make us fit HOD instead of HOD fitting us.  HOD is still not heavy in writing in Preparing and it is interesting history and science.  I would give it a trial run adding her in with the pre-made notebooking pages and do language arts and math at her level. 

If I had a child in Preparing and a strong reader/writer, then I would join the HOD PHFHG FB page and download the notebooking pages that someone made for Preparing and have the 1st grader use them.  I have 4 kids and I tried to do HOD the HOD way and was running 3 guides b/c of it.  It never fit us b/c I was trying to make us fit HOD instead of HOD fitting us.  HOD is still not heavy in writing in Preparing and it is interesting history and science.  I would give it a trial run adding her in with the pre-made notebooking pages and do language arts and math at her level. 

Do you know if there is a way to access these notebooking pages outside of facebook?  i'm not on FB.

thanks!